Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Folks, jobs are going up. It's not that folks have simply quit looking. Numerous very large companies I represent have been hiring.
Well, I know plenty of graduating 3Ls who cannot find work. I really don't see this recovery that everyone is talking about, especially when attorneys were supposed to be "recession-proof."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Is this really something to be celebrating? 9.8% is still a huge number. It probably went down because more people dropped out of the job hunt or settled for under-employment. Just because your husband got a job or you heard that your client was hiring doesn't mean a thing. Atlanta's economy still sucks, and it will continue to suck until housing recovers. The amount of jobs added is menial compared to the amount lost.

We have to start somewhere dude. Rate was %10.2 percent before.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Well, I know plenty of graduating 3Ls who cannot find work. I really don't see this recovery that everyone is talking about, especially when attorneys were supposed to be "recession-proof."
Unfortunately, the law is like any other industry. No such thing as recession proof, particularly when supply (of lawyers) exceeds demand (for lawyers). But firms are starting to hire again.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 AM

99 posts, read 212,902 times
Quote:
Weren't 3Ls having difficulty finding jobs BEFORE the recession? Hasn't there always been an oversupply of Lawyers?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
Weren't 3Ls having difficulty finding jobs BEFORE the recession? Hasn't there always been an oversupply of Lawyers?
Yes.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Quote:
Exactly. Great news, we added 1,000 cashier jobs and another 500 janitor positions. Oh yeah, don't forget about those new openings that were filled over at McDonald's. My cousin just got a job as a bagger at Kroger. Things must be improving.
What's extra funny about this is that you berate people for sharing anecdotal evidence about the job market, then you admit you didn't even look at the data yourself and use your own anecdotal evidence to advance your position instead.

FYI, Atlanta's workforce grew in the last month by 2,500 workers. So the idea the unemployment rate falling due to people dropping out of the workforce is false.

http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/laborforce.pdf

I'm not willing to comment on whether too many of the jobs are service jobs or not. If people are interested in seeing exactly what sectors gained and lost jobs, here is the list:

Accommodation & Food Services +3500
Professional, Scientific, & Technical +1600
Government (Local) +1100
Wholesale Trade +1000
Arts, Entertainment, & Recreation +1000
Government (Federal) +900
Education +900
Manufacturing (Durable) +700
Transportation, Warehousing, and Utilities +500
Retail Trade +300
Telecoms +100
Healthcare +100

ISPs/IT -100
Management -100
Government (State) -100
Admin/Support -200
Real Estate -200
Manufacturing (Non-Durable) -300
Construction -500
Finance and Insurance -600
Other -800

http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/nonag_msa.pdf

It's not so black and white from where I'm sitting--restaurant jobs grew the most, but plenty of other sectors grew as well. It's also worth noting that even service jobs are reflective of demand for labor--it's not like a bunch of restaurant jobs will magically appear just because people want them to.

Finally, what's also encouraging is that Georgia's other cities had good reports too. Ultimately, a huge chunk of Atlanta's economy comes from providing specialized goods and services to smaller, nearby cities, so our fate is very much tied to them. Albany, Athens, and Augusta all had especially good reports.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
What's extra funny about this is that you berate people for sharing anecdotal evidence about the job market, then you admit you didn't even look at the data yourself and use your own anecdotal evidence to advance your position instead.

FYI, Atlanta's workforce grew in the last month by 2,500 workers. So the idea the unemployment rate falling due to people dropping out of the workforce is false.

http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/laborforce.pdf

I'm not willing to comment on whether too many of the jobs are service jobs or not. If people are interested in seeing exactly what sectors gained and lost jobs, here is the list:

Accommodation & Food Services +3500
Professional, Scientific, & Technical +1600
Government (Local) +1100
Wholesale Trade +1000
Arts, Entertainment, & Recreation +1000
Government (Federal) +900
Education +900
Manufacturing (Durable) +700
Transportation, Warehousing, and Utilities +500
Retail Trade +300
Telecoms +100
Healthcare +100

ISPs/IT -100
Management -100
Government (State) -100
Admin/Support -200
Real Estate -200
Manufacturing (Non-Durable) -300
Construction -500
Finance and Insurance -600
Other -800

http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/nonag_msa.pdf

It's not so black and white from where I'm sitting--restaurant jobs grew the most, but plenty of other sectors grew as well. It's also worth noting that even service jobs are reflective of demand for labor--it's not like a bunch of restaurant jobs will magically appear just because people want them to.

Finally, what's also encouraging is that Georgia's other cities had good reports too. Ultimately, a huge chunk of Atlanta's economy comes from providing specialized goods and services to smaller, nearby cities, so our fate is very much tied to them. Albany, Athens, and Augusta all had especially good reports.
Yup - BBC, what's wrong with McDonald's cashier jobs or janitorial jobs? They are better than no jobs. Doesn't need to be an investment banking or accounting firm job for it to be important. Especially, if YOU are the one in need of the paycheck.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Good news. But some peopel only want to see the negatives.

Will add that I was on unemployment and got a job making over 30K a year as an admin assistant so those who go out and work the pavement and the internet and ask around to their reputable friends about job leads can get a decent paying job. I don't make a huge sum but my income is only the second income of our household and I am actually making more now than I did working for a major bank so it was a step up for us.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
Not 3Ls graduating from a top tier school. Try again.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Folks, jobs are going up. It's not that folks have simply quit looking. Numerous very large companies I represent have been hiring.
No...don't you realize we're in a depression and the world is ending? Come on, get with the plan.

One thing to also keep in mind, as the job market eases, more people start looking again, so the number of people in the market increases, which dilutes the impact on the decrease of the unemployment percentage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta