Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,219 times

Advertisements

Hello, I apologize if anyone has asked a similar question to mine. I browsed the board but I didn't see anything that completely answered my questions specifically, and I'm brand new to this forum so I wouldn't know how to look more thoroughly.

So I'm a 26 year old college student from Kalamazoo MI (yeah, there really is a Kalamazoo! i wouldn't recommend visiting though... lol) and I am interested in moving to/near Atlanta.

My first question is, what are some cities near Atlanta? If I were to commute to/from the city, I wouldn't want more than a 30-45 minute drive. I'm also assuming that living cost would be less expensive outside the city.

I'm also interested in community colleges in the area. I'm currently a pre-nursing major in Kalamazoo, but have recently decided to temporarily change my major to Business Administration as there is a 3 year waiting list to get into the nursing program here. Are there any colleges that would offer both programs, and also, does anybody know what the waiting list for Nursing looks like?

I will obviously need a job if/when I move. What is the job market like? Are there many opportunities for home health care in the area? I have experience in this field and it is the type of job I would prefer, although I am well-rounded and could accept most types of employment (retail, secretarial, etc.) Also, what is minimum wage in Georgia?

I am not picky about the exact location where I live, as long as it's not someplace where I might get murdered in my sleep. Are there areas that have less expensive apartments/housing? And what is the average rent of a 1 bedroom apartment?

Any other miscellaneous information that might be important would also be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,637,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaliciousxoxo View Post
Hello, I apologize if anyone has asked a similar question to mine. I browsed the board but I didn't see anything that completely answered my questions specifically, and I'm brand new to this forum so I wouldn't know how to look more thoroughly.

So I'm a 26 year old college student from Kalamazoo MI (yeah, there really is a Kalamazoo! i wouldn't recommend visiting though... lol) and I am interested in moving to/near Atlanta.

My first question is, what are some cities near Atlanta? If I were to commute to/from the city, I wouldn't want more than a 30-45 minute drive. I'm also assuming that living cost would be less expensive outside the city.

I'm also interested in community colleges in the area. I'm currently a pre-nursing major in Kalamazoo, but have recently decided to temporarily change my major to Business Administration as there is a 3 year waiting list to get into the nursing program here. Are there any colleges that would offer both programs, and also, does anybody know what the waiting list for Nursing looks like?

I will obviously need a job if/when I move. What is the job market like? Are there many opportunities for home health care in the area? I have experience in this field and it is the type of job I would prefer, although I am well-rounded and could accept most types of employment (retail, secretarial, etc.) Also, what is minimum wage in Georgia?

I am not picky about the exact location where I live, as long as it's not someplace where I might get murdered in my sleep. Are there areas that have less expensive apartments/housing? And what is the average rent of a 1 bedroom apartment?

Any other miscellaneous information that might be important would also be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
I think you would like the Sandy Springs area of Atlanta. There are a ton of Medical facilities in the area. Since you are in the medical field, you should have no problems finding work here since Medical and IT seem to be on the rise.

Here is a link to Sandy Springs: City of Sandy Springs - Home.

There are a lot of office building, residences, and businesses in Sandy Springs. Everything you would need is centrally located and you would also have access to MARTA (rail and bus services).

Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 AM

13,978 posts, read 25,874,479 times
It isn't a community college, but Kennesaw offers a nursing program. I believe Perimeter does also.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:58 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,757,884 times
There are colleges throughout the city and its suburbs and there are lots of home health opportunities.

I would first look for the school that you want to apply to (Kennesaw and Perimeter are excellent suggestions) and from there plan on where to live.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,219 times
Thank you for the suggestions! I did look up Sandy Springs, and I definitely like that location! It seems like it's close enough to Atlanta but without being dead in the middle of the city. It also sounds like a nice community! I'm also happy to hear that I would have access to the public transportation.

I'm also happy to hear the suggestions for Georgia Perimiter as I submitted an application to the school last night. Wish me luck that I get accepted!

And as always, any further information that anyone could give me about the city will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: