Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,367 times

Advertisements

Hiya all.
I'll be moving to the Atlanta area soon and should be working near the intersection of 285 and Lavista Rd.
I'm looking to live in the suburbs and was considering Suwanee, Duluth or Norcross. Want somewhere safe and clean with relatively new houses.
Would this be a nightmare commute during the 6.30am - 7.30am period? Ideally I would like a "typical" commute of 45 mins or less. I appreciate it will vary but just trying to gauge average commuting times.

Any thoughts on commute (or places to live) would be great.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,254,765 times
Suwanee is better but will put you a bit farther out and with traffic can be a long commute. Duluth has some newer construction and is overall safe/clean and you would be closer to work. You could take I-85 southbound to 285 East and exit at LaVista Rd.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,748 times
In my eyes, Norcross is more affordable if you get my drift, Suwanee is more of a home community, while Duluth has the best of both worlds, closer to Atlanta than Suwanee, closer to the malls, more diverse in business/homes. Suwanee has a good school though. Depends what you're looking for. If commute is a priority, I don't think Suwanee offers that much more to overlook Duluth or Norcross.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlHnow View Post
Hiya all.
I'll be moving to the Atlanta area soon and should be working near the intersection of 285 and Lavista Rd.
I'm looking to live in the suburbs and was considering Suwanee, Duluth or Norcross. Want somewhere safe and clean with relatively new houses.
None of the above. I suggest Lilburn,particularly the area south of Highway 29 in the Parkview school district. Suwanee is the best. However the drive
on 85 is no fun with huge traffic and lots of semi-trailers tailgating each other dangerously.

Example house and commute in Lilburn:

4577 Orange Jungle Drive Southwest, Lilburn GA

Driving Directions from Lilburn, Georgia to Northlake Mall

Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
However the drive
on 85 is no fun with huge traffic and lots of semi-trailers tailgating each other dangerously.
That sums up every major highway in Georgia

Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 23,395 times
Default Relocating ATL from SEA

Husband will be working in Decatur and he wants a quick commute to work. We are looking at the Duluth area or Alpharetta.

I may be working in Marietta so what area would be the best for both of our commutes? (I am originally from Cobb County so I am familiar with that side of ATL but clueless about other areas except directly downtown.)

Would a commute from Hiram be a bear of a commute to Decatur? Alpharetta to Decatur?

After a year, looking to purchase a new house in a more rural area yet not too far out that commute to Decatur isn't so bad. (not sure if that is even possible.)

We just want a quite, safe area preferably with walking trails and still access to shopping and great foodies.

Thanks all...

Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Duluth or Alpharetta would not be a quick commute. Hiram would definitely be a nightmare.

What is your budget? Where in Marietta (there is a wide path that calls itself Marietta)

I would recommend the Ansley Park area. Better commute for your husband and not too bad heading straight up 75 against traffic to Marietta.

Nice area with all of your amenities if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta