Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:45 AM

17 posts, read 56,460 times

Advertisements

@blakeas what part of Decatur are you in? Oakhurst, Winnona Park, Decatur Heights or Clairmont-Great Lakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 09:08 AM

470 posts, read 1,278,246 times
I am moving there in september and I will be in the winnona park technically. But the new school will be opening soon so my youngest will be going to the new elementary school - I am northeast of downtown decatur

Old 05-07-2011, 10:31 AM

17 posts, read 56,460 times
Oh ok.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:40 PM

559 posts, read 832,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
also, if you are worried about return on investment, You should not pick smyrna. even if it did improve u would only get a modest return on investment. Another reason we chose decatur...
May be true in comparison to Decatur, but Smyrna property has been a great investment for my wife and I over the last 17 years. Even after the real estate crash, homes in our subdivision are still closing at about 30% higher than our purchase price in 2000.

We also lived in a Smyrna condo for 5.5 years and closed at a 65% gain over purchase price.

Maybe not the best returns around, but it's nice for us because we love living here and building all that equity has just been icing on the cake.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
We have not been that lucky with home prices during the down turn but that is probably due to the fact that I live in a townhome community. We have several young couples that have moved up to their dream family home and willingly take a hit on the sale because they were going to make it up on their new home.

We have also had a few foreclosures in the neighborhood that the bank sold at shockingly low prices. Home prices are at best at their 2000 level but they rent extremely easy and the rentors these days are the best I have ever seen. Many of the rentors are better neighbors than the actual home owner as far as taking care of the property.

I was worried with some of the low prices on the foreclosures but in every case the new homeowner has recognized the bargain they got an immediately put significant improvements into the home.

So, yes if you think you would be selling in the near future it would not be the safest investment but for those of us that are not going anywhere it is clear that Smyrna is not going to lose any of the progress it has already made

Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
SMH..Belmont is still covered up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta