Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 06:42 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times

Advertisements

Suggestion:

When looking for jobs in Atlanta and looking for a corporation, look at where the company is based, not where an office is located. Outside of UPS, Home Depot, Mary Kay, Coke, and Delta many employment options are via their HQ's.

IMO I have lived in Chicago, Philly, NYC, Baltimore, and Atlanta and find the employment opportunities the highest here. The main reason, trying to find hard working qualified individuals. The issue is you have to be here and go to the locations. It is also best to have the qualifications in place.

Major drawback is the commute to most jobs. Since most jobs are located either in the city of or close to creates traffic nightmares due to the other drawback; a city that is rated so dangerous that most people enter with caution in the AM and flee for their lives after 5pm or dark.
Atlanta IS the Detroit of the South. #7 most dangerous all around city and #3 most dangerous <500,000 city limit population city in the nation.

Don't worry though the wonderful mayor is working to help. She had 2 weeks touring Africa this summer on the tax payers dime and now she is jaunting around Communist China. In other words, the light at the end of the tunnel is rather dim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 09:44 AM

28 posts, read 79,836 times
Unhappy Just curious

What have you been doing for a year without a job?? I'm searching for a good job with a stable organization and I want benefits too. I don't need much, it's just me but I want enough to live in a nice neighborhood. Maybe I want too much. I thought I was entitled to this.
My cousin lived in Atlanta and was doing so well. The only reason she moved back to New Orleans was because she was home sick. I'm not having the same luck she had.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 AM

16 posts, read 63,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini678 View Post
What have you been doing for a year without a job?? I'm searching for a good job with a stable organization and I want benefits too. I don't need much, it's just me but I want enough to live in a nice neighborhood. Maybe I want too much. I thought I was entitled to this.
My cousin lived in Atlanta and was doing so well. The only reason she moved back to New Orleans was because she was home sick. I'm not having the same luck she had.
Well I really dont want to give out too much information but I collect benefits but those will eventually run out. I worked from home as a private contractor for a business that ended up going out of business. And believe or not I've been supplementing with selling on EBAY. But there is nothing in this area unless you own a business or want to work for one of the store in a box type place. It's like wow another superwalmart up the street with low paying jobs. Everyone here seems to commute long hours which I won't do.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 AM

34 posts, read 98,769 times
When I moved here I got lucky. I got the job I have because my cousin worked here and he got me a job. I've been looking for a part time just to supplement what I make (which isn't much) but no one will hire me. My mom moved here 2 years ago from Los Angeles. I begged her not to come b/c I knew that it wasn't what she expected. She was making at least $50,000-$60,000 out there doing recruiting but she moved here and has been struggling ever since. She was unemployed here for almost a year and a half. She finally got a job a few months ago at Delta making under half of what she made in L.A. Now she wants to go back but she can't afford to move. My mother has over 25 years experience plus she has a business degree. You would think it would be easy for her but it wasn't. I also have a cousin that moved here from Ohio last year. She has a Master's degree and use to work for a Law Firm back home. Now she's working for a hardware store as a cashier and she has 3 kids to support. It's all about who you know. Some, but not many people are able to make on their own talents. Good luck. Keep trying.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:59 PM

It sounds like a dead end situation to me. This is so unbelievable to me. I don't know what my next move should be but I know I need to get out of Mississippi!! But where to go is the question!!

Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 PM

16 posts, read 63,759 times
How about to Washington DC, South Florida even Chicago? I think its best to go to a state that is full of transients. Where it doesn't matter where you go to church or if you are part of their ethnic group. I can say I never felt that growing up in the DC area for 30 years.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:38 PM

I didn't want to be so far away from New Orleans. I still get home sick and would love to be able to visit every once and a while. My sister just moved to Chicago, I'll see how she makes it up there. I guess I just had my heart set on Georgia and now I don't know what to do.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 74,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini678 View Post
I didn't want to be so far away from New Orleans. I still get home sick and would love to be able to visit every once and a while. My sister just moved to Chicago, I'll see how she makes it up there. I guess I just had my heart set on Georgia and now I don't know what to do.
Well find a job first and rent, that way you can move if you end up not liking it here. If you don't have a job then moving is pretty risky. Or at least make enough were you are now and save some and then if you can't find something right away you have a cushion.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 48,189 times
Cool I'm taking the plunge

I'm in the same boat. I'm moving from L.A California to Atlanta with no job. I am just ready to get out of Cali. I have been sending my resume out with an Atlanta address since June and have not gotten not one response. It is very discouraging. I just figure that once I get there and can hit the payments and talk face to face with some people I can get a job. People have different experiences, that doesn't mean that there experience will be my experience.
I am keeping hope alive. If it doesn't work, then I'll just go somewhere else.

Does anyone know a Headhunter for the Atlanta area?

Old 09-13-2006, 05:29 PM

Question To Ms Abel

When do you actually plan to move to Atlanta?? What part??

I thought my job searching was rough, have you elly been searching sinc June?? Also, other than ajcjobs.com hotjobs.com careerbuilder.com and america's job bank where else can I find job postings for Atlanta??

I don't feel that I am searching everywhere I can possibly look. I've also applied for jobs with the Georgia Department of Labor. I look through The City of Atlanta's website but they never seem to have what I am looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta