U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:22 AM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,159 posts, read 15,078,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
removed by moderator
I'm not the one who originally brought up bodily fluids. However, based on the smell I assume some of the mess is spillage from porto-lets. And, I'll say again (try to keep up), this mess is not "the usual trash and debris." As I stated before, THIS EXACT SAME EVENT in past years has not produced a mess like the one we have today.

I have no idea what "trollin' like a mug" means.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-09-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM

29,408 posts, read 26,357,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Seriously? Paying for festival clean-up is NOT a taxpayer expense.
Do you think if this festival had been held in Decatur or Roswell or Athens you'd hear folks complaining about a little clean up? The fact is in an urban environment people have the right to party whether a given individual approves of it or not. When people party there will be folks who have to pee or throw up and they don't always have the time or inclination to look for a bathroom. And you can't force people to use trashcans by simply putting them out there. Is somebody supposed to walk around holding an empty cup or food wrapper until they find a trashcan?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:33 AM

7,909 posts, read 12,178,006 times
Quote:
I went to Music Midtown the last 4 years it was around. Within the concert, I never had a problem finding a place to urinate and they always had enough porter-pottys. No body peed on Pine St. as they were walking from MARTA. My friend tried and almost arrested. I really don't think standing pools of urine was widespread.

No, that doesn't tell me something. Music Midtown was a concert in a park that people paid money to attend (a lot of which was spent cleaning up), while this is a free street festival.
I lived in/around the area from 2000 until late 2006 in two separate neighborhoods. It most assuredly did happen.

Now was it something everyone was doing, no, but it did in fact happen. There were also random acts of vandalism a few times over the years (graffiti, broken windows on buildings, other random nonsense).

These sort of things tend to happen when you gather massive crowds of young people in one place. The way this thread is headed, I'm sure we are only a few posts away of one type of crowd being held to a different standard than another type of crowd though. SMH

Last edited by waronxmas; 05-09-2011 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,617,952 times
[quote=arjay57;19077129]Do you think if this festival had been held in Decatur or Roswell or Athens you'd hear folks complaining about a little clean up?

Hell yes. I just stated an example of Athens. If you think Roswell or Dectur would put up with this bs you're crazy.

Quote:
The fact is in an urban environment people have the right to party whether a given individual approves of it or not.
It's not an "individual". It's city government, and they have the power to regulate where people "party."

Quote:
When people party there will be folks who have to pee or throw up and they don't always have the time or inclination to look for a bathroom.
Besides the fact that it's illegal (public urination), people who are too lazy to look for a bathroom people should just be accepted as part of an "uban experience"? I wonder if you would be saying the same thing if this was on your street.
Quote:
And you can't force people to use trashcans by simply putting them out there. Is somebody supposed to walk around holding an empty cup or food wrapper until they find a trashcan?
Oh no, we wouldn't want someone to walk around with that heavy empty cup.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,496,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Any thing that draws a crowd this large is going to leave a mess, no matter where it is or who attends it. I honestly haven't seen the aftermath but I went through there yesterday and the amount of people and vendors was crazy.
I agree, but the attitude I sometimes see here on C-D from a few Atlanta residents really pisses me off. No wonder the City of Atlanta can't seem to do a lot of things right ... many of its citizens expect seem to expect complete incompetence, murders in the streets, aggressive panhandling, etc., as par for the course for any big city. Like Atlanta is that large...

Besides, it sounds like this might be a bit more than what one would normally expect to see after an event.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,159 posts, read 15,078,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The way this thread is headed, I'm sure we are only a few posts of way of one type of crowd being held to a different standard than another type of crowd though. SMH
That could happen, so I'll repeat for a third time:

The mess this year is worse than the mess THIS SAME FESTIVAL has produced in past years.

This is what is known as an apples-to-apples comparison.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,617,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
These sort of things tend to happen when you gather massive crowds of young people in one place. The way this thread is headed, I'm sure we are only a few posts of way of one type of crowd being held to a different standard than another type of crowd though. SMH
Oh give me a break. Why don't you just pull the card? Well, you already did anyway, because everyone knows what you mean.

The different standard comes from the fact that this was a free street festival vs. a paid-admission concert. Everyone expects there to be **** and beer after an outdoor concert. The crowd at concerts is going to be 95% young people. Neither can be said with a festival. The same reactions would have been seen if this happened after Dogwood.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,351,063 times
Quote:
The same reactions would have been seen if this happened after Dogwood.
You're right, and I bet that the reactions would probably be even more vocal.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM

479 posts, read 580,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do you think if this festival had been held in Decatur or Roswell or Athens you'd hear folks complaining about a little clean up? The fact is in an urban environment people have the right to party whether a given individual approves of it or not. When people party there will be folks who have to pee or throw up and they don't always have the time or inclination to look for a bathroom. And you can't force people to use trashcans by simply putting them out there. Is somebody supposed to walk around holding an empty cup or food wrapper until they find a trashcan?
Really? Really?

If Im not mistaken, littering is a punishable/finable offense, as is public urination/defecation. But I guess its ok in your book because its all part of "urban living" Ill remember that next time I decide to take a dump in the middle of Peachtree. Its cool officer, the taxpayers got my back!

Cobain, as usual, has it right. Sorry I cant give him more rept points at the moment.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM

29,408 posts, read 26,357,864 times
What gives one group the right to decide how their fellow citizens can party in an urban environment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta