U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,313,729 times

Advertisements

SMH at this thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,181,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
From what I saw, either the folks who cleaned up the mess mobilized on a scale not seen since the invasion of Normandy or the original poster is full of it and exaggerating.

I am quick to call out the same exact thing in these threads but I don't think it's warranted in this case. The area is back to normal and that is fairly impressive considering the turnout.
I'm with you on this. It seems unlikely that things got messed up real bad to the point that it warranted acting like the neighborhood got ruined during the course of a single event. Since I didn't go to Sweet Auburn this year nor did I take time out of my day to go down there to see for myself, I found this picture on Flickr instead:

Flickr: sunflowering's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/omgitsgabby/ - broken link)

As you can sort of make out, the street is as clean as it normally would be. No extra grime or dirt or anything. Granted there was a lot of mess left over after the festivities because as you can also see, the District was packed to the hilt. When there are massive throngs of people crammed in to a small place, there is sure to be tons of trash left over. In other words, any mess left hanging around this morning shouldn't be cause for any sort of alarm given how many people where there. Talking about how many people were there, here some more pictures to give a good idea of how crowded it was:

Flickr: sunflowering's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/omgitsgabby/ - broken link)

http://projects.ajc.com/photos/image...may-2011/7107/

http://projects.accessatlanta.com/ga...n-fest-050811/

Last edited by waronxmas; 05-09-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,181,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Oh give me a break. Why don't you just pull the card? Well, you already did anyway, because everyone knows what you mean.
No such thing exists.

For those not aware, he's talking about the mythical "race card" that some how absolves the accuser of any responsibility for using any sort of negative stereotypes to form their opinion. It's a crafty bit of word play that actually turns around a valid complaint about a perceived bias based off of the prejudices of the accuser to make it seem the target of those accusations is being "reactionary" and/or not using sound judgement to shape their argument against the observations of said accuser. Plus, it's just not socially acceptable or cool to be an out and out bigot in 2011.

Any who, glad I made you squirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta