Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM

20 posts, read 48,538 times

Advertisements

My family (husband and I & 3 kids ages 10, 9, & 4 1/2) are moving to GA from Louisville this summer. We spent this past weekend in GA visiting Rosewell, Johns Creek, Milton (which was beautiful, but appeared to be out of our price range) Cumming and a quick drive through Woodstock center. We loved the area on a whole, but it seems we can get more house for the money (and something newer) in Cumming and Woodstock. I would love some specific info about the following -
  • Neighborhoods with homes listed for $300-350,000. Newer home - we've done the old house thing before and we're not interested in doing it again. Pool, playground, tennis.
  • Lots that are AT LEAST 1/3 acre. Houses seem to sit right on top of each other in many of the neighborhoods we drove through. My husband's comment was that he and my oldest wouldn't even be able to go out in the yard and have a catch. Is that just the way it is? (Sigh..)
  • Commutes from Woodstock and Cumming to Alpharetta
  • If living in Forsyth Cnty (is Cumming the only town there?), is it best to stay in S. Forsyth if commuting to Alpharetta or does it not make that big a difference?
  • Aside from the center of Woodstock, is there additional shopping there? Cumming seemed to have everything you would need.
  • Is there a big difference in the schools in Woodstock v Cumming. The scores etc I looked at didn't seem that varied but scores aren't everything.
  • Easy access to outdoor activities - the greenway, parks, hiking etc.
If anyone knows of areas in Roswell, Johns Creek or Alpharetta that meet much of this criteria, we are open to those areas as well.

Any additional information/input people can provide is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 AM

663 posts, read 1,717,892 times
-There are plenty of those available.
-It's not hard to find subdivisions with larger lots but it is hard to find a swim/tennis subdivision with larger lots. You may have to decide which is more important.
-I personally wouldn't consider a commute from Woodstock to Alpharetta. That's a nasty drive due to the lack of east-west road infrastructure in metro Atlanta. GA 400 is no picnic but it's better than hacking your way down GA 92.
-Cumming is the only incorporated city in Forsyth County. Staying close to GA 400 makes a big difference. I personally wouldn't commute from further north than the GA 306 (Keith Bridge) exit and would try to find something south of Bald Ridge Marina Rd.
-Can't help you there. My knowledge of Woodstock is somewhat dated.
-There's not a big difference in schools.
-Forsyth County has a decent selection of parks, especially near Lake Lanier.

That all being said, if it were me and I had $300,000-$350,000 to spend, I'd settle for a smaller house closer to work. Alpharetta is a great town and the older I get the more I value my time.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 AM

20 posts, read 48,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
-There are plenty of those available.
-It's not hard to find subdivisions with larger lots but it is hard to find a swim/tennis subdivision with larger lots. You may have to decide which is more important.
-I personally wouldn't consider a commute from Woodstock to Alpharetta. That's a nasty drive due to the lack of east-west road infrastructure in metro Atlanta. GA 400 is no picnic but it's better than hacking your way down GA 92.
-Cumming is the only incorporated city in Forsyth County. Staying close to GA 400 makes a big difference. I personally wouldn't commute from further north than the GA 306 (Keith Bridge) exit and would try to find something south of Bald Ridge Marina Rd.
-Can't help you there. My knowledge of Woodstock is somewhat dated.
-There's not a big difference in schools.
-Forsyth County has a decent selection of parks, especially near Lake Lanier.

That all being said, if it were me and I had $300,000-$350,000 to spend, I'd settle for a smaller house closer to work. Alpharetta is a great town and the older I get the more I value my time.
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling Woodstock wasn't a viable option, but thought I'd ask anyhow. We are not opposed to Alpharetta, Roswell, etc. I actually liked that area better than Cumming. When we drove around Cumming in some of the developments the yards were quite small there as well. Our big thing is purchasing a home in a great area for our kids with other young families, that has good schools and plenty for a young family to do.

Is commuting in from John Creek to Alpharetta a hassle?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 AM

663 posts, read 1,717,892 times
A lot of people commute from John's Creek to Alpharetta. The roads are very congested but it's not a long commute mileage-wise. The portion on GA120 that in on Abbots Bridge Rd and Kimball Bridge Rd is terrible but State Bridge Rd/Old Milton Pky are at least reasonable. You're probably looking at 20-40 minutes depending on where exactly in John's Creek and Alpharetta you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta