Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 11,683 times

Advertisements

Wondering if I should consider moving out of Alpharetta (been living here for 10 years) in order to get into good private schools ITP.

Any comparisons along the following lines for good private schools in the alpharetta area?
- Religiously neutral (we are Indian Hindu family, hence not looking for anything particular in religious sense - as long as it is neutral)
- Good academic focus

I am leaning towards woodward .. since we don't have to move and could try till 6th grade before deciding what to do then ! Also, very good Indian community in the alpharetta area that we don't have to miss.

Wife is leaning towards Westminster and wants to move out of Alpharetta.
It seems like With the criteria above - Woodward is the only choice in the North Atlanta region. (Wesleyan - more religious focus as I hear)

- Any long term plans for Woodward to open classes post grade 6 in the Duluth area?
- How bad is the commute really in the bus from Alpharetta to Collegepark on a daily basis (It even hurts to think

Can't believe all this rat race for a 2.5 year old
I was not even this stressed while I was trying to get into college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Just FYI...

Opinions: compare Woodward and Westminster for AA kids?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:53 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Re: religion - cannot speak for Woodward, but Christian religion is a significant part of Westminster. One semester of Old and one semester of New Testament - I recall that they dropped a science class to make room for the Old Testament class... Westminster has excellent academics otherwise. Look around on C-D. Lots of posts discussing pros and cons of various private schools.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 AM

559 posts, read 832,117 times
As a parent who just went through the admissions process for the 1st time, I can tell you that you might want to wait and see where your child actually gets accepted before making any plans to move, especially if your child is only 2.5.

We went through the same school research for years even before our 5 yo was born. But, the 6-mth process of visiting schools, going through the JATP, observations, and open houses really changed all of our perceptions of which schools were right for us, and much more importantly, the right fit for our daughter.

In the end, we got accepted at what ended up being our #1 choice and we are extremely excited as a family. But, if you had asked me before the application process began in October, I would have said that school would be our #3 or #4 choice.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Back to the original post. Regarding religion and Westminster. It is big part of the school. That said I know Jewish people that have attended. That said, there was a mini scandal amongst the Jewish community and Westminster b/c they did not allow Jewish alumni to come back and teach.

Anywho, you're living in Alpharetta, I think you can answer the commute question. Is an education worth missing out on 3 hrs of your day? If you're dead set on private in town, I would move.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 AM

39 posts, read 133,878 times
AtlGolfer, that may have been true in the past, but is no longer the case. I have a Jewish friend who taught at Westminster.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intownmom View Post
AtlGolfer, that may have been true in the past, but is no longer the case. I have a Jewish friend who taught at Westminster.
Yes - They changed the "no non-Christian teacher" policy back in the late 90s, I believe it was. I'll never forget the parent forum to discuss the issue where someone made the point that Einstein couldn't teach physics there...

Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadad View Post
Can't believe all this rat race for a 2.5 year old
I was not even this stressed while I was trying to get into college
I truly don't mean this as a criticism and I admire your interest in supporting your kids. But I must say it boggles my mind that families are consdering moving out of their longtime homes in the hope that it may someday help their 2 1/2 year old child get into an elite private school.

I am soooo out of the loop.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:41 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I truly don't mean this as a criticism and I admire your interest in supporting your kids. But I must say it boggles my mind that families are consdering moving out of their longtime homes in the hope that it may someday help their 2 1/2 year old child get into an elite private school.

Agreed.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:34 PM

559 posts, read 832,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intownmom View Post

And Dr. Lee Friedman is the elementary school principal. At the open house, I believe he said he is retiring after this year, but Friedman is one of the most respected leaders on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta