Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 21,613 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just recently received a ticket for following too closely and my court date is due in about a week and a half. There was a motor vehicle accident and the fine comes out to be $318 I believe. This is incredibly steep for me given my current situation, and I was wondering if there was anyone who has been in a similar situation. Insurance paid for everything amongst both parties.

I've searched the forums and found some things that were pretty closely related but was never really able to find a definite answer or someone would post a question in the thread, but that would go unanswered.

I know this isn't the right place to ask for legal advice, but I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't think pleading "Not guilty" is an option as there was a police report and an accident. That brings it down to straight up guilty and paying the fine (might as well pay it now to avoid going to the court) or pleading nolo. Either that or going to the court and hoping the other party doesn't show up.

If I was to go to court and say plead nolo or pray that the other party didn't show up, what would the results be? Would it get completely dropped or perhaps the fine would be less or I just wasting my time with trying to get this lowered and going to court. Would it also help if I took a driver's safety course or anything like that? This has been my first accident in years.

Thank you very much.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM

82 posts, read 250,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liruge View Post
Hello. I just recently received a ticket for following too closely and my court date is due in about a week and a half. There was a motor vehicle accident and the fine comes out to be $318 I believe. This is incredibly steep for me given my current situation, and I was wondering if there was anyone who has been in a similar situation. Insurance paid for everything amongst both parties.

I've searched the forums and found some things that were pretty closely related but was never really able to find a definite answer or someone would post a question in the thread, but that would go unanswered.

I know this isn't the right place to ask for legal advice, but I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't think pleading "Not guilty" is an option as there was a police report and an accident. That brings it down to straight up guilty and paying the fine (might as well pay it now to avoid going to the court) or pleading nolo. Either that or going to the court and hoping the other party doesn't show up.

If I was to go to court and say plead nolo or pray that the other party didn't show up, what would the results be? Would it get completely dropped or perhaps the fine would be less or I just wasting my time with trying to get this lowered and going to court. Would it also help if I took a driver's safety course or anything like that? This has been my first accident in years.

Thank you very much.
I do not have much legal advice, however, not sure you can do very much. I have been also hit by someone in the rear following very close and they were given a citation etc and they had no luck either.

Not knowing your case at all, and not directed to you at all... I do think a lot of drivers follow very close and typically the speed limits off highways are high (45-55MPH) creating high risk in general. Not to add people trying to make left turns cross traffic with 45-55 MPH coming in the other direction. Hard enough to determine speed when a car is coming at you directly. We have had 2 deaths in 2 months here in Marietta on Dallas Hwy with folks trying to make lefts cross traffic.

Hope all does work out well for you.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:23 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Many municipalities in GA have "court days", usually a tuesday, so the cops are paid to be in court. And if not, dont be surprised if they reschedule you to the next court day so they can make it.

Incident involved, it is always a given they will cite you for that if you rear ended somebody.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 21,613 times
The court date is scheduled for a tuesday. I guess there's no real way to soften it. I knew I was going to get cited, just I was curious to see if anything could be done about it. Oh well. Thanks thus far!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liruge View Post

I know this isn't the right place to ask for legal advice

It's not - sorry.

There's dozens of pages in the Atlanta (and metro) yellow pages filled with lawyers that specialize in traffic/ticket issues. You need to consult with someone professionally for legal inquiries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: