Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times

Advertisements

Georgia might be in running for Sears headquarters, reports say *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
I'd put this one in the "slim at best" category

Quote:
The Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times named New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas as other states being considered by the 125-year-old retailer and mail order operation.
Odd list. NC, Texas, and Georgia are probably the only ones they'd seriously consider. New Jersey is a toxic business climate and will probably cost a bomb to compensate people for relocating to a place with such expensive houses. South Carolina and Tennessee don't have enough of an airport, and the cities are probably a bit small for a company of that sort. When a company locates in a small city, it is a lot harder to find specialized skills on the local market, so they have to pay a premium to relocate new hires.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Odd list. NC, Texas, and Georgia are probably the only ones they'd seriously consider. New Jersey is a toxic business climate and will probably cost a bomb to compensate people for relocating to a place with such expensive houses. South Carolina and Tennessee don't have enough of an airport, and the cities are probably a bit small for a company of that sort. When a company locates in a small city, it is a lot harder to find specialized skills on the local market, so they have to pay a premium to relocate new hires.
I agree NJ is definitely the odd one.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:55 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Yeah, I heard that story too. It's probably just a ruse to get better tax concessions, etc from Chicago. Recently it was Red Hat considering an Atlanta move but NC came up with a deal to keep them.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
But wouldn't a Sears Tower be pretty cool added to our skyline??? Maybe 50 Allen has a potential after all!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Probably just a list of states that would offer tax concessions...

Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
But wouldn't a Sears Tower be pretty cool added to our skyline??? Maybe 50 Allen has a potential after all!
I doubt their arrival would add anything in terms of new towers. Besides, Sears is not what they used to be as the department store business model has taken it on the chin. The department store industry has contracted. If it were up to me, I think it would have been cool if they could have reoccupied that old Sears building on Ponce which was City Hall East.

Besides, large companies have shown increasing preference for large lower-rise buildings rather than those narrow soaring towers. Elevators discourage face time within a company.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 PM

257 posts, read 669,552 times
Correct. Sears isn't even in the old Sears Tower. They haven't been for years. They are located in Hoffman Estates which is near O'Hare. I seriously doubt Illinois will let them go without a fight.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:49 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,205 times
I like that the story pointed out that Sears pulled this stunt to move out of Chicago in 1989 but stayed in IL instead of moving to North Carolina. Now they are probably wanting to stay in Hoffman Estates but looking to benefit as much as the city can allow before the recession starts to wrap up. I wish they would move here, JOBS!, but highly doubt they will.

I don't like stories like this one being reported though, not in the AJC anyway. So much speculation, so many states it could go to(narrows down from 50 to 6)...cities weren't even named. It's way to early to be reporting a "possible" move that may or may not ever happen.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM

124 posts, read 399,791 times
Sears owns a large chunk of land in Tucker (I think it is over 70 acres, but don't quote me on that) that they have been trying unsuccessfully to sell for several years. It used to be a distribution center. I wonder if they are considering that location and that is why Georgia is on the list. Hmm..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: