Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM

28 posts, read 124,296 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've been reading a lot of news lately on how Atlanta is something close to the "Hollywood of the South" in regard to how the film production industry is booming in the area in recent years. As a person interested in working within the film industry, that is also hoping to relocate to Atlanta one day, where would I go about seeking out Production Assistant and/or entry-level film production opportunities in the area. I've searched Craigslist, Indeed, and other major job sites but there just aren't that many opportunities posted online or if there are, I haven't been able to find them.

Where should I look first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM

124 posts, read 399,791 times
You should join Atlanta Film Festival. They have frequent workshops, seminars, and networking events for people interested in getting into the film industry. I think they have even had events specifically for folks looking to become PA's. Plus, your membership will get you into free screenings throughout the year and discounts to the festival.

Atlanta Film Festival

Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM

28 posts, read 124,296 times
Thanks so much! I'll look into joining!

Any other input is welcome as well...

Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 28,057 times
Default Your best deal in Atlanta film industry

Lantawood Certification is your best deal in opportunities to people in Atlanta area. Participate in paid industry opportunities as a Writer, Crew Worker, Actor, Producer, Director or Support Worker.

Interested partners complete their Certification steps 1 through 4, within 14 day of initial sign up. Any applicant who can not complete this within the give time frame will be dropped from our organization. This is to eliminate stagnation or inactivity within our organization.

The organization requires an upfront payment of the the $100 Certification Fee (non refundable).
For those who have the interest but have no funds, they have provided a way for you to raise the funds needed to set you in motion of beginning your career.
They also provide 3 uniformed training and orientation programs for all people getting involved with the industry. For more info visit Organization for independent movie industry workers, video producers and actors in Atlanta and the South

Old 05-18-2011, 10:50 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
"Get Connected" Entertainment Industry Mixer

Thursday, May 26 · 6:00pm - 10:00pm

Location200Peachtree 200 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA

Key Directions: http://200peachtree.com/grandatrium_directions.html
Keep track of updates: Get Connected - Small Business - Atlanta, Georgia | Facebook
Take Marta! | MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Atlanta entertainment professionals are looking for a great place to network and find more gigs. They need a place to meet new people, re-connect with old cast and crew members and forge new alliances. The "Get Connected" tea...m invites you to the next location for our next entertainment industry mixer, the stunning 200Peachtree! The former Macy's building is opening its doors to Atlanta's film industry and ushering in a new age of upscale, classy events.

Hosted by The Cinema Dolls | The Cinema Dolls
Meet special effect master, Toby Sells | Toby Sells Creature Make Up FX Shop Home
Actors, meet top talent agency director Jana Stanton VanDyke | The Jana VanDyke Agency
Actors, get in front of agency director of Coastal Talent Kids and adults, Barbara Garvey | CTK Agency
Filmmakers, be sure to see Jp Author and watch the taping of "Let's Talk FIlm" | Filmmakers Reloaded

Special short film screenings by Mike Brune, Davene Zeigler, Kathryn Claypool, David Rodney Hulbert, Janlatae Mullins, Crystle 'Clear' Roberson, and Al G Sillah.

Filmmakers and TV Producers, Actors and Entertainment Industry Professionals:

May 26th is the next “Get Connected" industry mixer. Held at 200 Peachtree in downtown Atlanta to anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in the entertainment industry, or who is established in their career are invited to attend and share knowledge, experiences and contacts, or to just have a great time. This month's focus is Fashion and Film!

Proceeds from the $10 admission fee and vendor booths will be used to fund grants for rising filmmakers to produce short films and donate to local charities.

Hosted by: Autumn Bailey Entertainment, Film Atlanta, Blank Stage Studio and Peachtree Village International Film Festival (PVIFF) along with The Cinema Dolls.

Come out to this monthly networking mixer and enjoy an evening of:

Complimentary Appetizers And Desserts

Drink Specials

Networking

Celebrity Guest Appearances

Give-A-Ways And Door Prizes

Admission $10.00

Old 02-14-2012, 03:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Once again C-D delivers! Kudos to all who helped this guy out.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:37 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
I know this thread is a little old and the guy has probably moved on but I want to chime in in case anyone is curious.

If you want to get work on a major film set (that is Hollywood level productions), you HAVE to be in a local union such as the IBT (Teamsters). I know, I know, Georgia is a right to work state but most major motion pictures will still not hire you unless you are in a union because, while it might be shot in GA, the studio funding the whole thing usually works out deals with labor unions for their crew as it saves them a world of headaches. Just like the actors in major motion pictures almost always are SAG actors. I recently was on a set in Virginia for Spielberg's upcoming "Lincoln" film (I had to deliver some fake dead bodies to the makeup department head) and every single worker there was union.

Before you join a union you need to build some sort of resume though. Craigslist is good for that. Look under "film music and TV" for openings.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 20,656 times
Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I know this thread is a little old and the guy has probably moved on but I want to chime in in case anyone is curious.

If you want to get work on a major film set (that is Hollywood level productions), you HAVE to be in a local union such as the IBT (Teamsters). I know, I know, Georgia is a right to work state but most major motion pictures will still not hire you unless you are in a union because, while it might be shot in GA, the studio funding the whole thing usually works out deals with labor unions for their crew as it saves them a world of headaches. Just like the actors in major motion pictures almost always are SAG actors. I recently was on a set in Virginia for Spielberg's upcoming "Lincoln" film (I had to deliver some fake dead bodies to the makeup department head) and every single worker there was union.

Before you join a union you need to build some sort of resume though. Craigslist is good for that. Look under "film music and TV" for openings.

Adric, thanks for the insight. I have further questions. You made mention of IBT (Teamsters) would they have an establishment here in Georgia? If so, how do I go about contacting them? Do you drive a big truck for the film industry?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 19,227 times
For starters everyone, no legitimate employer will ever demand $100 non-refundable in order to hire you. Its often a pyramid scheme designed to take advantage of peoples desperation.

Secondly - though the movie industry is booming in the east, especially in Georgia, The Entertainment industry does not openly post available positions to the general public. Internships and paid entry level positions are given out to temp agencies to help filter unwanted elements.

you can find an article that explains a bit better what you need to do and where you need to go to try and get the jobs you are looking for by going here - [url=http://filmtvcareers.about.com/od/gettingthejob/a/No_Experience.htm]How to Get an Entry Level Entertainment Job If You Have No Experience[/url]

Good luck everyone and any information you find please keep this thread updated for everyone.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 15,724 times
Smile bbond73

Let me suggest a valid path to working in film is the Digital Film Tech Training Program at Clayton State University. Full disclosure - I am the Director of that program. We offer a two-12-week-course certificate that takes about six months to complete. We train hands on in all below the line craft areas (lighting, grip, sound, camera assit, locations, art) and also in production office procedures, casting calls and Assistant Director duties. Our goal is to get students onto working sets - small non-paid indie productions first and then work into day playing on larger productions. Of the 80 students we started with in February 2014, over 20 have made their way onto working sets and one has been admitted to the local film union (IATSE 479). We have a working arrangement with the union, with members coming to our classes and mentoring. We will open a 10,000 square foot studio in September and have a small but useful hardware and camera package. Check our website [URL="http://www.clayton.edu/digital-media-center"]www.clayton.edu/digital-media-center[/URL] Call 678-466-5085 or email [EMAIL="digitalmediacenter@clayton.edu"]digitalmediacenter@clayton.edu[/EMAIL] for info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: