U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,616,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, you don't at all.
You are black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 PM

13,581 posts, read 22,033,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
You are black.

In your wettest dreams...

Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,169,181 times
Quote:
And why would we repeat that in Atlanta with Koreans? Why would there be a risk of that happening? Who would be at fault?
Oh, it is not even a concern of mine that it would happen. For one this is the 21st century and we're beyond that as a society, and secondly this is Atlanta. We're aren't that kind of town.

I am only countering the idea some hold that without {insert ethnicity here}-towns Atlanta is not cosmopolitan or ethnically diverse. Some people seem to be under the impression that such places are a reflection of multiculturalism when in fact (in their basic form) it is the exact opposite of multiculturalism.

Quote:
I am Italian. I know very well the history of those towns and why they were created. But there is a difference between being aware of history and using history to express your own personal resentment.
Sigh, then I would say it is shame you don't understand more.

Quote:
It would be like if I had resentment towards the Germans, and kept saying, "well, if we get a lot of jews in Atlanta, we better make sure the German Atlantans don't try to do a repeat of the Holocaust."
As I often suggest in these situations, step outside of your comfort zone and try understanding things from other people's point of view. I'm not suggesting reading other people's words and filling in your own blanks, but truly taking the time to listen and understand other people. I suspect you will change a lot of the things you post about or your interpretation of my views. However, this is America and you totally free to carry on the way you are to your heart's content. Just don't accuse me of anything I am not.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh, it is not even a concern of mine that it would happen. For one this is the 21st century and we're beyond that as a society, and secondly this is Atlanta. We're aren't that kind of town.
I don't care whether it's a concern of yours or not. It's offensive to even suggest that it would happen. Asians are welcomed with open arms in this city, and it is completely unnecessary to suggest that there is a even a remote possibility they could be segregated against.

Quote:
I am only countering the idea some hold that without {insert ethnicity here}-towns Atlanta is not cosmopolitan or ethnically diverse. Some people seem to be under the impression that such places are a reflection of multiculturalism when in fact (in their basic form) it is the exact opposite of multiculturalism.
No one was suggesting that in the Korea Town thread.

Quote:
As I often suggest in these situations, step outside of your comfort zone and try understanding things from other people's point of view. I'm not suggesting reading other people's words and filling in your own blanks, but truly taking the time to listen and understand other people. I suspect you will change a lot of the things you post about or your interpretation of my views. However, this is America and you totally free to carry on the way you are to your heart's content. Just don't accuse me of anything I am not.
So it's ok for you to call me a bigot, but once the tables are turned, it's a whole different story. I rarely, if ever, label people as bigots/racists/prejuidiced until they label me. Once that happens, I begin to analyze their own posts to see just how innocent they really are, and if they are being hypocrites, I call it out.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,169,181 times
Quote:
I don't care whether it's a concern of yours or not. It's offensive to even suggest that it would happen. Asians are welcomed with open arms in this city, and it is completely unnecessary to suggest that there is a even a remote possibility they could be segregated against.
LOL, now you are just making stuff up.

Quote:
No one was suggesting that in the Korea Town thread.
Oh yes they were. There were several posts such as "Where are the pictures of Atlanta's Koreatown?" "Atlanta's Korean areas consist of a single strip mall" and various other nonsense born from the idea that in order for Atlanta's Korean population to have significance, we would have to have a Koreatown in the same vein as Los Angeles or New York. Flip through the pages and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
So it's ok for you to call me a bigot, but once the tables are turned, it's a whole different story. I rarely, if ever, label people as bigots/racists/prejuidiced until they label me. Once that happens, I begin to analyze their own posts to see just how innocent they really are, and if they are being hypocrites, I call it out.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL, now you are just making stuff up.
This is where you need to practice all that preaching you have done about putting yourself in other people's shoes. When you impute the possibility segregation of Koreans, who exactly are you imputing those actions to? Think about it.

Nice picture. Bottom line: you can dish it... but you just can't take it.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 AM

35 posts, read 69,074 times
It is better to buy a house in those Asian populated areas before it is going be expensive! Buy low and sell high...that is the way to get rich!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,308,960 times
Quote:
Can you please explain why someone with as much resentment and contempt for white people would live in an area that is 90% white? It just does not make sense.
Quote:
Coming from the poster who thinks white people living today "must pay until kingdom come" for the 19th and 20th century wrongs of dead people they have no relation to.
Why is this in this thread? Those are personal attacks.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM

13,581 posts, read 22,033,104 times
Quote:
... I don't read a thing you link/recommend on this site...

Oh yes you do. You love it and watch my every move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or