Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
People think Atlanta is hood/ghetto because huge parts of it ARE hood/ghetto. Fix Bankhead, Pittsburgh, Adair Park, pretty much anywhere in Clayton County, then get back to me...
Actually a lot of those areas are being fixed. Atlanta has all but razed all of its public housing projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Actually a lot of those areas are being fixed. Atlanta has all but razed all of its public housing projects.
When your done, let me know, knocking down the projects just spreads the cockroaches out to the remaining slums. The Bankhead area and most of South, especially SW ATL is still downright ****ing dangerous.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
People think Atlanta is hood/ghetto because huge parts of it ARE hood/ghetto. Fix Bankhead, Pittsburgh, Adair Park, pretty much anywhere in Clayton County, then get back to me...

There really are no excuses for it other than laziness and people refusing to get off of the government's dole
Well this is true. Atlanta is a HOOD CITY...Buckhead is tiny compared to the rest of the city. I am not familiar with the areas you are mentioning but, when I bring people to visit me here in Atlanta, I try my best to keep them from seeing the real Atlanta. Maybe that is a bad thing, but I cant have friends and family concerned about me. These places cant be fixed. The people who live there need them to look this way & and as a visitor you should be happy to be able to tell the good areas from the bad just from the environment.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Well this is true. Atlanta is a HOOD CITY...Buckhead is tiny compared to the rest of the city.
Right, because "tiny" Buckhead is the only non-hoodish part of Atlanta.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
When your done, let me know, knocking down the projects just spreads the cockroaches out to the remaining slums. The Bankhead area and most of South, especially SW ATL is still downright ****ing dangerous.
Well you have to start somewhere, and de-concentrating urban poverty is a good start.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Actually, I've found that some of the strongest women ARE peaceful women. Strong women don't try to supplant the man's role in the relationship, but they do what they must in order to hold the family together.
Maybe we have two different definitions, but I still value the presence of a normal peaceful woman over the neck rolling loud talking strong woman. That just my style. I'm a quiet male.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Right, because "tiny" Buckhead is the only non-hoodish part of Atlanta.
Well its the truth Atlanta has a lot more areas outside of Buckhead.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:23 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
Quote:
LMAO... you sound scared. Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt Cascade, the new Camp Creek development and the new developing going on between MLK and Camp Creek along 285 SW ATL? Exactly how many of those areas are slums or dangerous? Im just asking because unless you live in Buckhead a lot of those homes and neighborhoods are probably worth more than the one you live in.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 AM

71 posts, read 202,756 times
Oh what did I start.....

Honestly, the point of me initial post was that such a person would be featured as a news spot on primetime news and what good is it to feature someone who just trash talks with a really poor choice of language. I'm sorry, but plugging some checkenhead (can't deny it) as a representitive of Atlanta does make it look pretty ghetto. You won't find any well educated, upstanding citizen in Atlanta (race aside) acting or talking like that. That spot on the news should have been taken up by someone actually doing something positive.

But on topic of what is being discussed, I brought this whole issue up in the "smoking corner" at my building. For the most part, it's pretty diverse in age, gender and race and just about everyone is a college graduate. The consensus was that Atlanta is pretty unsafe and ghetto and that Chickenhead Kim is a generic, boring and unoriginal waste of time. I mean, just watch the news with pen and paper and make notations about each person involved in a crime that is on the news....or is that biased?

Last edited by IdiotPilot; 05-23-2011 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 07:56 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
I'm sort of at a loss following this thread because as I look around Atlanta I see a mostly nice and safe place. Of course, like every city in the world, Atlanta has areas that are crime ridden and unsafe. However, on a whole, I don't believe it is worse than average in this respect. And, Atlanta (in town anyway) has improved tremendously since I was young and appears to continue to improve. Maybe my glasses are rose colored, but I just don't understand why people would think Atlanta is pretty unsafe and "ghetto" (though I'm not sure I fully appreciate that moniker, but can only guess...). If folks want a perfectly safe city, then that city will have a population of one. I'm curious, IdiotPilot, where your co-workers live who have this impression? I wish there were a way to change their impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta