Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 PM

121 posts, read 318,448 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I've heard the Winnipeg deal is finalized already.

EDIT- Apparently there's no deal:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-th...to-951877.html

Last edited by On Air; 05-19-2011 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 AM

136 posts, read 383,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Then please explain to me why the last FOUR teams to move have crossed southward across the Mason-Dixon Line. (Yes I know that the fans were not the real problem in any of those moves. I'm just sick and tired of know-it-alls blindly assuming that they somehow are in this case).

BTW, if it takes Lil Jon to save the Thrashers, that's fine by me!
I'll explain for those who don't know. These are very condensed explanations.

The North Stars moved because Norm Green wanted a new arena. Many arena solutions were proposed, but none worked out He was a BS owner and had no care for the team or its fans.

The Quebec Nordiques moved because of the extremely small market that they were in. They had limited English media coverage, and the weakening Canadian Dollar couldn't keep up with rising player salaries that were paid in American Dollars, regardless of the country a team would be located in. The Quebec provincial government refused to subsidize the team (unlike Glendale, AZ subsidizing the Coyotes), so the team was sold to Denver investors.

The Winnipeg Jets moved for much of the same reasons, taking away the fact that it was not a francophone town. The reasons are explained here VERY well in a news clip from 1995: YouTube - ‪TSN Announces Winnipeg Jets Are Leaving '95‬‏

The Hartford Whalers moved because their new owner Pete Karmanos wanted larger attendance figures. He was complete BS as well, but the move was justifiably based on fan support to a point.

Gary Bettman did little in these cases. He ran himself ragged saving the Predators and now the Coyotes, scamming $50 million from Glendale over two years.

However, thanks to the 2005 Collective Bargaining Agreement, the most recent salary cap configuration, and the strengthened Canadian Dollar, the door has been opened for Canadian franchises to pop up again. The NHL has introduced revenue sharing and has funneled money to Canadian franchises to keep them afloat as Canada moved through its economic problems. Economical strength is the greatest threat to Canadian franchises, not fan support levels!

Sure, I know that Atlanta Spirit is an incompetent ownership group, probably the worst in the NHL, but I have a hard time believing that true affinity has been formed between native Atlantans and the Thrashers. Rather, I suppose that a substantial portion of Thrashers game attendees are Northern transplants that go to Thrashers games to see a local NHL game, but still love their native team more. Here's this past season's attendance figures...5 out of the bottom 6 teams in attendance percentage are in the South. The Islanders are, well, the Islanders. But it bears noting that the Edmonton Oilers, a garbage team last year, sold out their games!

2010-2011 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

I hope this isn't the only relocation to come.

Last edited by eastside38; 05-20-2011 at 01:47 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas has actually been a great market for hockey. Even Northern fans are impressed by the support of the franchise there. Sucks to hear this about Atlanta.
Dallas has emerged as a totally legitimate NHL market. There is no reason for the team to be relocated from there.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:25 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas has actually been a great market for hockey. Even Northern fans are impressed by the support of the franchise there. Sucks to hear this about Atlanta.
But again I ask, is it the natives that love hockey or all of the northern transplants?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Personally I think that Hockey could sell here, but it likely involve a comprehensive marketing tool that includes recruiting local youths from the inner city and appealing to their aggressive nature. This will likely involve motivating a lot of the "hip-hop" culture to get in on the action. People will come and watch if they see a lot of themselves in the sport & see that it is accessible to all.

But unfortunately, such a marketing process would likely involve the current owners & likely the NHL itself suspending a lot of their biases towards the "hip-hop"/inner-city culture. But after seeing the current trends in basketball, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Maybe if Lil' Jon was involved somehow in the purchasing of the Atlanta Thrashers, I may think otherwise. But for some reason, I just don't think that the NHL and maybe most of hockey's current audience are ready to open another new can of worms.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:23 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But again I ask, is it the natives that love hockey or all of the northern transplants?
Probably a mix of both, but what does it matter? Decent support is there in Dallas.

Don't get me wrong - I am a Canadian and I am not a big fan of the NHL's SunBelt expansion. However, I don't believe teams that work reasonably well like Dallas, LA, Anaheim and San Jose should be moved just because they are located in warmer climates.

I live in a cold climate but warm-weather sports like golf are still popular up here.

So I have no problem with hockey teams in southern climes just as long as they are supported and not propped up artificially with cash from teams in the north.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:01 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Probably a mix of both, but what does it matter? Decent support is there in Dallas.

Don't get me wrong - I am a Canadian and I am not a big fan of the NHL's SunBelt expansion. However, I don't believe teams that work reasonably well like Dallas, LA, Anaheim and San Jose should be moved just because they are located in warmer climates.

I live in a cold climate but warm-weather sports like golf are still popular up here.

So I have no problem with hockey teams in southern climes just as long as they are supported and not propped up artificially with cash from teams in the north.
Atlanta is full of transplants that's not the issue, it was the idiot management that screwed this franchise....They have put an inferior product on the ice for 11 years in a row...........PERIOD>>>>........

Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Atlanta is full of transplants that's not the issue, it was the idiot management that screwed this franchise....They have put an inferior product on the ice for 11 years in a row...........PERIOD>>>>........
Yeah, I find the whole "Northern transplant" argument way too thin as Atlanta likely has way more Northern tranplants than Dallas.

Dallas has a good team, so they have a succesful franchise.

We have a team that has seen spurts of greatness, and long periods of suckiness mixed with an ownership more concerned with getting out while they can still make a profit with no sense of team loyalty. Part of a sports franchises success hinges on having a visible face so that in those years where the team does suck, they have an individual out front to support them.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside38 View Post
I'll explain for those who don't know. These are very condensed explanations.

The North Stars moved because Norm Green wanted a new arena. Many arena solutions were proposed, but none worked out He was a BS owner and had no care for the team or its fans.
Norm Sucks was also in legal trouble for alleged sexual harassment, and his wife threatened to leave him unless he moved the team.

Norm Green is reviled in Minnesota for his decision to - 04.19.93 - SI Vault

I lived roughly a mile from the Met Center in Bloomington when the team left, and that situation is the reason why I've never paid to see a professional sports team since. Except the Twins. I see the Twins as a special case. But I'm personally sick and tired of these large entertainment companies being run by billionaires that continuously try to blackmail their fanbase into buying new stadiums.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:02 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, I find the whole "Northern transplant" argument way too thin as Atlanta likely has way more Northern tranplants than Dallas.
As I have lived in either one of these metro areas or the other the majority of my adult life, would say they are pretty equal in terms of northern transplants. Dallas and Atlanta stack up pretty evenly in most things measurable and in my mind are two of the most comparable cities in many regards as you could find in the country, whatever measuring stick you use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta