Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:27 AM

559 posts, read 832,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Roy should have won. I knew this sort of thing would happen under Deal, but I didn't expect it to be THIS soon.

No, he shouldn't have. Deal is bad, but trust me when I say Roy is worse.

Again, sad state of affairs in GA when these 2 guys are the only choices. It seems like no decent person wants anything to do w/ politics anymore. It's almost as if being a little dirty is a qualifying requirement for both parties.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:10 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Too bad for them...this was one of the biggest news stories today...

Fox 5 banned from Nathan Deal immigration bill signing

http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2...-bill-signing/
Fox & Republicans not friends any more??

Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Hard to believe that in a state with as many entrepreneurs and successful men/women as GA, our executive leadership choice came down to Deal and Ole Roy.
For every entrepreneur in Georgia, there is a peanut or chicken farmer with a third to fifth grade education and a burning desire to never allow anyone who changed their flag back into office, no matter what any of the other issues are.

This is not a personal insult to those people for who they are as people or what they do - I eat peanuts and chickens, myself. We need those people just as much as we need the white collars. I'm just saying you have people on one side who do their best to think with a level head to pick who might be best for everyone as a whole... and on the other side of the fence you have people who decide things based solely on old, strong, emotions. Barnes has always been seen as an "Atlanta supporter", and people forget that in many parts of Georgia, they have a "us vs them" mentality when it comes to the big city. It would appear that voting "group 1" (white collars) were too busy however, going to pilates classes or golfing at the club on voting day, to bother with a vote. Their bad.

Regardless - if Deal has made shady deals, I think the media (especially Fox5) might be looking a little more for them now. Casey Cagle might get his chance to undo some of the politics they played on him (stripping him of some of his authority) when Deal took office, after all.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:59 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
Shame on Gov. Deal. First the $$$ thing, then banning Fox 5, but letting others in. His he high, really, what was he thinking? But, congrats on the bill signing!

What did he think banning Fox 5 from the signing was going to do? Make the $90,000 go away? Now he is going to have two fires to put out, and neither of them small ones!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:56 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post

This IS one of the biggest new stories today here in Atlanta. I was not only shocked at the $90,000 money trail to Denise Deal, daughter of Governor Nathan Deal, but at the strong-arm political tactics of the Deal cronies.

This is America. At least I think it is. These types of things happen in Pakistan or Libya. Not in America.

Shame on Governor Nathan Deal and his cronies.

CORRECTION: Denise Deal is the daughter-in-law of Nathan Deal. Not the daughter. I apologize for that mistake.

This entire thing is a hoot. Nathan Deal and his cronies are accusing Fox 5 of telling lies. Can you believe it??? Politicians never tell lies!!! LOL! Used car salesmen are saints compared to politicians.

If every politician was banned from a news conference for telling lies, I dare say the room would have a lot of empty chairs.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post

Too bad for them...this was one of the biggest news stories today...

Fox 5 banned from Nathan Deal immigration bill signing

http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2...-bill-signing/

I just got a great "DEAL" on a used car. I just gotta post this.

I bought the car from Fox 5 reporter, Dale Russell. Dale Russell told me the car has 0 miles. I said, "How could that be?"

Dale said he only drove the car to Governor Nathan Deal news conferences. I said, "Well, that explains everything."

Old 05-14-2011, 05:35 PM

538 posts, read 925,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
For every entrepreneur in Georgia, there is a peanut or chicken farmer with a third to fifth grade education and a burning desire to never allow anyone who changed their flag back into office, no matter what any of the other issues are.

This is not a personal insult to those people for who they are as people or what they do - I eat peanuts and chickens, myself. We need those people just as much as we need the white collars. I'm just saying you have people on one side who do their best to think with a level head to pick who might be best for everyone as a whole... and on the other side of the fence you have people who decide things based solely on old, strong, emotions. Barnes has always been seen as an "Atlanta supporter", and people forget that in many parts of Georgia, they have a "us vs them" mentality when it comes to the big city. It would appear that voting "group 1" (white collars) were too busy however, going to pilates classes or golfing at the club on voting day, to bother with a vote. Their bad.
I'm a "white collar" entrepreneur who lives in the metro area....have a post graduate degree and would never vote for Barnes because of the way he handled the whole state flag situation. When you want to look at what "might be best for everyone as a whole" you might want to include those of Southern descent who made this state one that everyone from the North seems to want to move to....even back when the Confederate battle flag was incorporated into the state flag. Trying to obliterate everything Southern in a Southern state is not being very inclusive.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlboi View Post

He's keeping us from our first amendment...freedom of the press.

That's for darn sure! I totally agree!

Just think of this undemocratic, dirty trick foisted on Fox 5 with at least one TV camera rolling. Do these officials have no shame? This tape is being shown around the world.

And this Robinson guy is smiling and laughing as he is talking to Fox 5 reporter, Justin Grey. Robinson should be fired.

Can you imagine the dirty tricks going on behind closed doors WHEN THE TV CAMERAS AREN'T ROLLING? No doubt it ain't a pretty sight.

Brenda Wood gave a wonderful commentary on Friday night concerning this disgusting political tactic. If you have a chance, look it up.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
I'm a "white collar" entrepreneur who lives in the metro area....have a post graduate degree and would never vote for Barnes because of the way he handled the whole state flag situation. When you want to look at what "might be best for everyone as a whole" you might want to include those of Southern descent who made this state one that everyone from the North seems to want to move to....even back when the Confederate battle flag was incorporated into the state flag. Trying to obliterate everything Southern in a Southern state is not being very inclusive.
Ok, I'm not going to get into a flag debate because I'm originally from West Virginia which has had the same flag since it became a State - while Georgia has breezed through no less than 7 of them (not including the current) since it became a state. So I guess I lose the whole sense of what "heritage" is when every few years the flag is changed, and the whole controversy is over one that hadn't even been adopted until the mid-1950s. I don't remember Barnes trying to outlaw sweet tea, cotton, peanuts, churches, Bibles, or "everything Southern".

That being said, the man was starting the process of land studies to have water reservoirs built North of the City - several of which would have been completed if he had a second term, and by now would be filled with water, making the Georgia/Alabama/Florida water wars a non-issue now. He also created the GRTA / Xpress system which would have eventually through GRTA led to commuter rails in the metro area, which Perdue stripped of most money when he took office. The list can go on (and on and on)... but the point is no one had to like what he did with the flag. They could have filed suit about it for all that matters. But to use that ONE factor in determining someone's re-election when they had so many other positive ideas going on - well... no comment. I would challenge folks who discuss heritage to also correctly identify all of Georgia's flags in order, without looking it up online, if the heritage of each one is truly the issue.

When Perdue took over there was immediate controversy regarding shady land deals he had and a great deal of buddy system things going on regarding awarding contracts to folks. He was also caught using taxpayer paid dollars to use state trooper helicopters to take himself and his son to sporting events. He spent more time legalizing sparklers and forbidding Sunday liquor sales than he did any other thing to help Georgia, and funny thing is, he rode the "Boot Barnes" campaign all the way to the bank promising people he'd put the old flag back in place if they voted for him, and once in office, he changed it to yet another one (and got re-elected for lying about it). Now Deal is in place and from the get-go he mishandled millions of dollars in personal funds, now this issue with contribution monies and his daughter, and let's top it off with shutting reporters out of what should be public meetings because "he wants them to say they're sorry". Sorry - but I'd take Barnes any day of the week over the last two put together.

The bright spot: Casey Cagle is considered to be a "progressive Republican", which when Deal took over, caused him and his buddies under the dome to pass a number of things that stripped Cagle of much of his authority in certain areas where he had it before. If Deal continues on his current track, he may not make it through his first term before being booted (due to legal issues, possibly). If that happens, Cagle will take over. Along with a few heads flying, he does seem to actually care about the progress the entire State makes, and would make a decent Governor - and doesn't shun reporters, as well. We can go over every fault we think that every Governor has had in the last few decades here - but getting back to the topic, having State troopers deny entry to what is supposed to be an open-coverage meeting to a station that ran a report Deal didn't like - well, it's a big misuse of authority and leadership imo.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-14-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 01:12 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ok, I'm not going to get into a flag debate because I'm originally from West Virginia which has had the same flag since it became a State - while Georgia has breezed through no less than 7 of them (not including the current) since it became a state. So I guess I lose the whole sense of what "heritage" is when every few years the flag is changed, and the whole controversy is over one that hadn't even been adopted until the mid-1950s. I don't remember Barnes trying to outlaw sweet tea, cotton, peanuts, churches, Bibles, or "everything Southern".

That being said, the man was starting the process of land studies to have water reservoirs built North of the City - several of which would have been completed if he had a second term, and by now would be filled with water, making the Georgia/Alabama/Florida water wars a non-issue now. He also created the GRTA / Xpress system which would have eventually through GRTA led to commuter rails in the metro area, which Perdue stripped of most money when he took office. The list can go on (and on and on)... but the point is no one had to like what he did with the flag. They could have filed suit about it for all that matters. But to use that ONE factor in determining someone's re-election when they had so many other positive ideas going on - well... no comment. I would challenge folks who discuss heritage to also correctly identify all of Georgia's flags in order, without looking it up online, if the heritage of each one is truly the issue.

When Perdue took over there was immediate controversy regarding shady land deals he had and a great deal of buddy system things going on regarding awarding contracts to folks. He was also caught using taxpayer paid dollars to use state trooper helicopters to take himself and his son to sporting events. He spent more time legalizing sparklers and forbidding Sunday liquor sales than he did any other thing to help Georgia, and funny thing is, he rode the "Boot Barnes" campaign all the way to the bank promising people he'd put the old flag back in place if they voted for him, and once in office, he changed it to yet another one (and got re-elected for lying about it). Now Deal is in place and from the get-go he mishandled millions of dollars in personal funds, now this issue with contribution monies and his daughter, and let's top it off with shutting reporters out of what should be public meetings because "he wants them to say they're sorry". Sorry - but I'd take Barnes any day of the week over the last two put together.

The bright spot: Casey Cagle is considered to be a "progressive Republican", which when Deal took over, caused him and his buddies under the dome to pass a number of things that stripped Cagle of much of his authority in certain areas where he had it before. If Deal continues on his current track, he may not make it through his first term before being booted (due to legal issues, possibly). If that happens, Cagle will take over. Along with a few heads flying, he does seem to actually care about the progress the entire State makes, and would make a decent Governor - and doesn't shun reporters, as well. We can go over every fault we think that every Governor has had in the last few decades here - but getting back to the topic, having State troopers deny entry to what is supposed to be an open-coverage meeting to a station that ran a report Deal didn't like - well, it's a big misuse of authority and leadership imo.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta