U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,245,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Agreed, just an excuse to cover up the fact that the very things you used to love in life like loved ones, friends, anything that brought you joy before using drugs like video games, sports, movies, etc, have been replaced by loving the drug itself that you're abusing, so much so that you love the drug more than your own family members.
And finding your way back to those things that you love; hobbies, friends, family, sports, activities is an excellent way to turn your life around.

Having people meet in a room with other addicts, day after day, while they endlessly discuss drugs, and then tell them they are POWERLESS and must keep coming back to those meetings, to those other addicts, is like giving them a death sentence. Does the 12-step programs work for some? Yes. But very few. And then they white-knuckle their way through a 24-hour chip, a 30-day chip, a one-year chip...never forgetting the day they quit using...

Good golly. There is no magic cure. People quit when they want to. End of story.

These programs are now run by the insiders. They are gainfully employed as counselors, at rehabs, courts, etc. and it is in their best interest to keep the 12-step model going.

Okay. I'll shut up now.

And my best to Chris Zollman. The truth is you had it in you all along. Life is so incredibly better without drugs and once an addict finally realizes that, the death sentence is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:02 AM

21 posts, read 41,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
While I can appreciate you putting yourself out there with the article Chris, I take exception to seeing in print that "Zollman said he is disappointed nobody has organized a response to the problem after his friends’ deaths.". Come on, there has been drug awareness taught in schools since before you were born.

None of these addicts were using drugs to escape a miserable life, they were ignoring all the warnings so many tried to drill into them since they were little kids. You play with fire and you will get burned.
Well she took it out of text. I meant that there hasnt been a response such as people informed what happened.Thats why I wanted an article about them

Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 AM

With the whole disease thing, thats what they say in rehab and in NA. I know its not your definition of a disease but does have the same qualities as one. Changes your brain chemistry, thinking process, and you have to fight it-just like a disease. So when I say disease, thats the definition im referring too

And I also know they are not victims. They chose that route. Many things can lead to heroin addiction. I was not a victim, but had some very serious things happen that made me choose to use. My best friend wsa murdered, and I was already taking prescription meds. Then I moved to heroin after his death. Most heroin addicts want to quit, but can't. It is because it effects your thought process.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,602,457 times
I blame Vanilla Ice

Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 AM

349 posts, read 677,192 times
People shouldn't lie about drugs or overexagerate the consequences. If you're a teenager and you smoke a joint or whatever you might think "hey I'm still the same person. I didn't turn into a junkie on the streets. Maybe people are exaggerating the other drugs too". Then you screw up and try something more serious and get hooked. Remember, teenagers are rebellious and not the best decision makers anyways. It doesn't help if we just take a "drugs are bad, mmkay" approach and just demonize it without giving real information.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 AM

864 posts, read 886,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Yeah, keep telling yourself that, maybe it will come true one day.
How can you dey this? Black people live in the burbs to.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Race has nothing to do with it. In the area where the article is based out of, it is predominantly white people who live in an upscale city. Addiction can happen to anyone:young, old, black, white, smart, fat, pretty,etc. If you are from Atlanta you will understand this quote "Addiction goes from Bankhead to Buckhead"

Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 AM

29,263 posts, read 26,193,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZollman View Post
Race has nothing to do with it. In the area where the article is based out of, it is predominantly white people who live in an upscale city. Addiction can happen to anyone:young, old, black, white, smart, fat, pretty,etc. If you are from Atlanta you will understand this quote "Addiction goes from Bankhead to Buckhead"
Chris, where are the kids getting the heroin? Is somebody in school dealing it? Or is there an outside seller? How many people do you think know about it?

Best of luck to you. Please be careful.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 AM

426 posts, read 2,139,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZollman View Post
With the whole disease thing, thats what they say in rehab and in NA. I know its not your definition of a disease but does have the same qualities as one. Changes your brain chemistry, thinking process, and you have to fight it-just like a disease. So when I say disease, thats the definition im referring too

And I also know they are not victims. They chose that route. Many things can lead to heroin addiction. I was not a victim, but had some very serious things happen that made me choose to use. My best friend wsa murdered, and I was already taking prescription meds. Then I moved to heroin after his death. Most heroin addicts want to quit, but can't. It is because it effects your thought process.
But with all that is known about heroin, who in their right mind would want to try it? Even as an experiment? It's just like doing crack. Meth is basically crack to me too. Do it one time and you have the chance of being hooked for life. It's suicidal. Except a person who has committed suicide never gets to see the devastation he/she leaves behind. Being on hard drugs is somewhat worse because your family and friends are fighting to save you from a death that you have already CHOSEN. Like others have said, drug education has been a BIG deal in every school, public and private, for decades now, no one can say in this day in age, "I didn't know the full consequences of my choice". And oxy is an opiate, I find it hard to believe that kids in one of Georgia's most economically homogeneous communities where some of the best public schools in the state are located did not know that any opiate is highly addictive and eventually very expensive.

And to put it out there, yes, I do believe that affluent white communities have a much bigger drug problem and lower income areas filled with minorities(considering people between the ages of 14 and 30). The money in the former allows them to mask their issues more…and stay out of the media for the most part. I live in Vinings, sent my children to Lovett, trust me, it is a very real thing. And some parents simply do not care(from my perspective)...they believe their children should be allowed to explore and find themselves and make their own mistakes and learn from them. Extending this to drugs is a wee bit dangerous but I hear this all the time when drug abuse and alcohol abuse is brought up. Since quite a few of the people in this area also grew up with money they went through the same things their children are going through and some feel they have no right to judge and take the attitude, "I turned out alright". This is what I refer to by saying breaking the cycle...

And Chris, kudos to you for CHOOSING to get clean. It wouldn’t matter how many rehab programs you went into, how many NA programs you signed up for, what it takes to quit is the decision that you made that you wanted a better life and to keep living this life instead of ending it prematurely. In this life we all have free will. And we are all stronger than we realize.

Last edited by stvincent; 05-18-2011 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: paragraph spacing

Old 05-18-2011, 10:00 AM

426 posts, read 2,139,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Chris, where are the kids getting the heroin? Is somebody in school dealing it? Or is there an outside seller? How many people do you think know about it?

Best of luck to you. Please be careful.
Nowadays white kids don't have to travel to Vince City to score pills, heroin or coke. They can get in Johns Creek or whatever affluent community they live in. Chris said earlier in this thread that he himself was also a dealer. White kids sell to other rich white kids. Only reason why you don't see white neighborhoods turn into ghettos is because affluent people can afford rehab and detox programs whereas in poor neighborhoods, where a mother can barely afford to feed her kids, there are no resources to help get her drug addicted son get off drugs. She can fuss, scream, fight, until she has no choice but to kick him out, making him homeless, robbing people at that point to support his fix, and so on.

LAGWAGON113: I agree with your post. Telling kids that marijuana is the same as heroin or oxy is a big mistake. OBVIOUSLY, this approach has not worked. I'm not saying it's ok to smoke weed but like you said, teens(regardless of race or class) are rebelious. Lying to them only instills more distrust in adult figures than they naturally have at that point in their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or