U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 AM

906 posts, read 1,476,266 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread.

I'm particularly struck by the potential role that prescription drugs might have played in getting people "hooked on drugs."

Chris or anyone else: Is there an on-going investigation regarding the source of the prescription drugs in Atlanta? Was there any follow-up with the doctors who've been prescribing some of this stuff for those that were abusing? I know doctors can't be held fully accountable, but I sometimes get the impression they overprescribe these things for very young kids sometimes rather than suggesting tougher remedies (psych counseling, lifestyle changes, better parenting, etc.)

And this seems like an issue more particular to "suburban" and/or "wealthy" drug use.

I'd hope that Chris and others have been forthcoming with authorities about those who have been dealing. Or maybe I should say, I hope authorities are trying to trace the path of those who have been dealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM

21 posts, read 41,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Interesting thread.

I'm particularly struck by the potential role that prescription drugs might have played in getting people "hooked on drugs."

Chris or anyone else: Is there an on-going investigation regarding the source of the prescription drugs in Atlanta? Was there any follow-up with the doctors who've been prescribing some of this stuff for those that were abusing? I know doctors can't be held fully accountable, but I sometimes get the impression they overprescribe these things for very young kids sometimes rather than suggesting tougher remedies (psych counseling, lifestyle changes, better parenting, etc.)

And this seems like an issue more particular to "suburban" and/or "wealthy" drug use.

I'd hope that Chris and others have been forthcoming with authorities about those who have been dealing. Or maybe I should say, I hope authorities are trying to trace the path of those who have been dealing.
Georgia is one of the few states that does not keep track of people getting their prescriptions filled. I know many people who doctor shop,where they go to different doctors. Many people are doing this. You can make 100,000+ by just getting prescriptions filled. I used to have a doctor who was dirty and would tell him what to prescribe. I also know of peopple who work at pharmacys who are corrupt. Prescriptions are everywhere!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,266,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post

Not really. Although there are plenty of wealthy and suburban kids using drugs in Tennessee there is also an enormous amount of folks from lower socio-economic groups that are hooked on oxys and other painkillers.

Illegal prescription ring broken up » Knoxville News Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I'm surprised this is still news to anyone. Does anyone remember a decade and a half ago, the heroin epidemic first hit the wealthy northside Dallas suburbs? Or during the same time the discovery of the sex and drug orgies that brought our own Rockdale County into the national spotlight? This has been going on for quite sometime. If you say that drug addiction is only a problem in the inner-city among blacks and is not a disease you are not very well-informed. White males die at higher rates from suicide than black males do from homicide.

Certainly it is a choice as to whether you pull a trigger on yourself or someone else. But no mental health officials (Atlanta is the home of the CDC) would argue that the propensity to commit suicide is an outgrowth of some sort of mental illness or aberration. Yet, you don't believe it is within the realm of possibilities that this mental illness might drive someone to alcohol or drug abuse rather than just killing themselves quickly? There is research looking at why black males have much lower rates of crystal meth use than white males despite no apparent pharmacokinetic reason (researchers also found that despite biological predisposition toward a more intense "high" for black males taking cocaine, cocaine abuse rates are identical for black and white males). I think the Opium Wars taught us 170 years ago, "poor choices" just don't explain away drug epidemics among populations.
True. I'm almost 50 and there has been a drug epidemic of one or another going on as long as I can remember and it has cut across all socio-economic lines.

And absolutely, the mentally ill attempt to self-medicate, especially in this country where medical insurance and mental health help are severely lacking.

Studies show all kinds of changes made to the brain when humans ingest certain substances. It doesn't mean they are doomed.

Ever quit smoking cigarettes? I have. It's one of the hardest things I have ever done. And cigarette smoking changes the way our brain functions. But you don't see people in rehab for quitting smoking or at a "meeting" every day for the rest of their lives. They quit because they don't ever want to smoke again.

If I light up a cigarette the process will start all over again. So I don't. I've learned other ways to cope with stress. But notice that no one says that cigarette smokers have a disease.

Quote:
Georgia is one of the few states that does not keep track of people getting their prescriptions filled.
Chris: The law just changed.

Georgia is latest state to pass law tracking prescription pain drugs | Pill Pipeline | Kentucky.com

Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM

21 posts, read 41,924 times
It also does not matter if your wealthy or not. If your addicted, you WILL find money. Im not rich and I was spending around give or take $100 bucks a day for years. You will find a way to get money, even if it does break your morals. Addiction takes over your mind.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,430,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Something needs to be done in the white community. No one wants to talk about it but we all know it is a problem and white people need to take responsibility.
You're way behind the curve. The white community has been taking responsibility for its problems for a while now. Ten thousand years, give or take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
The suburbs are worse than the inner city when it comes to drugs nowadays.
Why are white drug dealers vastly less violent than black drug dealers? I think with a little bit of effort we can find a way to blame that on Thomas Jefferson.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM

2,583 posts, read 3,721,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
You're way behind the curve. The white community has been taking responsibility for its problems for a while now. Ten thousand years, give or take.

Why are white drug dealers vastly less violent than black drug dealers? I think with a little bit of effort we can find a way to blame that on Thomas Jefferson.

I didn't say anything about drug violence. I was talking about drug use. Where is your proof that black drug dealers are actually any worse than white dealers anyway? Last I checked the violence surrounding meth is a huge issue and the majority of those involved in that trade aren't black. If anything, inner city drug violence is lower than it used to be. Practically all of the busts I've heard about over the past few years have occurred in places like Gwinnett county and they involve Mexican gangs.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,898,208 times
Quote:
None of these addicts were using drugs to escape a miserable life,
How the hell do you know WHAT kind of life these people had -- miserable, perfect or otherwise??!! The whole reason drug addiction has taken such a foothold in the affluent suburbs is due to this false notion that somehow these kids are "perfect" and "have everything" and should "be happy" -- but they are not! Their lives are just as empty and shallow, there is overwhleming pressure to succeed and conform, their parents are often either over-involved or not involved at all in their lives, and YES! there is tremendous mental, physical and sexual abuse that no child should ever have to endure! So one day someone offers them a pill that all of the sudden takes a lifetime of pain away -- AND IT'S THE KID'S FAULT FOR NOT BEING STRONGER?! Gimme a freakin' break!

It is true: Not everybody who pops a pill, snorts a line, shoots up or passes out drunk the first time is an addict. Some people do it once and never do it again -- BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT ADDICTS! But those who cannot stop and struggle to live life beyond chemical dependency ARE ADDICTS! And to them, addiction absolutely very much is a CHRONIC LIFETIME DISEASE! Why? Because if you don't manage and control and treat it ... IT WILL KILL YOU!

AND ANOTHER THING: Addiction is an inherited personality disorder, and it is absolutely possible to be an addict and never ever touch a drop of alcohol or a single drug! Blessed are those people wise enough or strong enough to avoid the drug and break the cycle.

Anymore questions, all you hollier than thous?

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-05-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or