Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times

Advertisements

So many subs in alph/johns/milton (also gwinnett)...schools look "about the same". Traffic appears to iffy no matter where you go. But how do you judge the actual subdivision? Do you look at HOA stuff, the fees, the dues. It seems so confusing. Even for a renter(which we would be for a year to get a feel of the area)...seems like all are swim/tennis. All are cookie cutter 4 beds 2.5 baths..all are in a good school.

Do certain subs just have a "better" rep than others? We were looking to spend 2000-2500 (max) on a rent for a 4-5 bed home..didnt want houses RIGHT next to each other..but 1/2 acre apart. Good schools a must....gated comm (not for being exclusive--but I thought it would be more safe for kids to play outside--without strange traffic zipping thru).

How far is the airport to alpharetta. We have been to suwanee/buckhead and love it...I thought suwanee was more congested. I prefer a little more space..but I dont want to be more than 10-15 minutes away from major and minor shopping.

How far is it to the actual downtown (say the CNN bulding) from alpharetta...as we like to get into the city on weekends for any family event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 AM

183 posts, read 352,912 times
Well, I like having the swim/tennis available....the pool is a lifesaver during the summer for the kids (and for me!). With a "gate", HOA fees may be more...

When we looked here, a "must" was being on a small cul de sac. I think unless you live in a very big subdivision, most of the ones here have limited ingress/egress into the subdivision, so you won't really see too many strange cars zipping around.

We lucked out and ended up on a cul de sac AS WELL AS being close enough to walk to the pool during the summer. Some subdivisions are VERY big, and you would have to get into a hot car, drive there and back - with soggy kids.

You'll have to drive through various subdivisions. We did notice that some of the houses in some of them are not kept up very well, or were vacant...I'd stay away from those. Also noticed that some of the roads in different subdivisions were more narrow than others (it just made the street feel cramped), barely fitting 2 cars side by side.

We love taking MARTA to the airport...we usually drive about 15-20 minutes to the North Springs station and park there. On days where we have to drive to the airport, it takes about 45 minutes with if no traffic. Hubby commutes into Atlanta by parking @ the park n ride at Windward, bussing to the North Springs Station. Drive to downtown is not bad at all during weekends.

I'm in the Johns Creek/Alpharetta border area, and I haven't seem any LARGE lots you want although we are spaced out decently enough I guess...shopping is no issue at all

My 2 cents

Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
Thanks a bunch....we are looking in the same area as you...but the problem (last we did a visit)..was that certain subdivisions had the houses sitting directly in rows on the same size lot...it looked...TOO planned. (esp when the it was obvious the models and exterior were too similar). Some subs at least at houses at an angle..or in culdesacs, brick home, then stucco..a little mixed up. Yes.wide streets are totally important..just for the sheer "space" factor. We are looking in the Alphi/john area as well.

And good ones "come to mind"...Def would want a swim/tenning/gym(clubhouse) community. We have three kids..so thats important. I actually would want to know my neighbors.

Feel free to rec some specific ones to look at and also to get away from!!!! We are looking to rent first to make sure its the right move for us..but if we were to buy..I would say 300-400..tops. We are looking to make our mortgage payments smaller..and not larger than the northeast!!!! LOL

Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 AM

183 posts, read 352,912 times
Well, I've been here less than a year, so I can't really say I know the area too too well! lol

Your budget is HUGE!! The subdivision I'm in is definitely in the "lower" end (in terms of price) in the Alpharetta/Johns Creek area. You can get a mansion with your budget. If you're looking to save a bit of money and buy a more modest home (and still attend the same schools and enjoy the same community benefits without paying the higher price), check out this home. I'll PM you the address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta