Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 AM

479 posts, read 703,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I couldn't possibly care less about what Santana says, I'm just annoyed to the backteeth that my money will be used to try to defend a law that's patently unconstitutional on it's face. I'm so tired of politicians creating stuff that they know will be overturned just to get votes from the ignorant and uninformed. Every constitutional scholar on the planet has stated that this law is unconstitutional. Arizona has lost millions in revenue from people boycotting the state, and Georgia jumps on board anyway. I really do think we need a constitutional amendment to prevent legislators from writing bills that they know are unconstitutional. They're a waste of time, money and simply make the state look stupider than all get out.
So let me see. Anyone who happens to agree with/back this law does so because they are ignorant and uninformed? A fascinating analysis, and so "tolerant" of you!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
I couldn't possibly care less about what Santana says, I'm just annoyed to the backteeth that my money will be used to try to defend a law that's patently unconstitutional on it's face. I'm so tired of politicians creating stuff that they know will be overturned just to get votes from the ignorant and uninformed. Every constitutional scholar on the planet has stated that this law is unconstitutional. Arizona has lost millions in revenue from people boycotting the state, and Georgia jumps on board anyway. I really do think we need a constitutional amendment to prevent legislators from writing bills that they know are unconstitutional. They're a waste of time, money and simply make the state look stupider than all get out.
Yup. Kuck wouldn't even break a sweat with it. This is why I posted this part in post 15 of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
^^ That is b/c the issue is so complex people are bashing and defending the bill without really examining the core problems so they can come up with true solutions. There is an issue with illegal immigration, PERIOD. .
And then you read a post from the thread starter below which is exactly what I stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Can you please provide a link where "every constitutional scholar" has stated that this law is unconstitutional. I havent seen nor heard one thing about this and this bill has gotten alot of press lately. All I have heard is the threat of a few boycotts.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Nope. I read it. It wasnt very long so I managed to get through it.

Still see a PR effort attached to a baseball game. Not sure why the article would make me see it any differently.
Of course it's a PR effort, but that doesn't mean there won't, or shouldn't, be political speech during the event.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
I say...."shut up and sing" and keep your politics to yourself. He was hired to sing, not to give his views on immigration.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I say...."shut up and sing" and keep your politics to yourself. He was hired to sing, not to give his views on immigration.
Actually Santana doesn't sing. He plays guitar, but he doesn't sing.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
Actually Santana doesn't sing. He plays guitar, but he doesn't sing.
lol this thread is the funny

Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
This is wrong on lots of different levels.

First of all, although Santana does sing sometimes, he is known as a guitarist, not a singer.

Second, he was not hired to sing. In fact, he has never been hired to sing in his life. In this case, he was invited to receive a political award, and make some statements relevant to the award and the theme of the event.

Third, nobody should have to keep their politics to themselves, particularly at an event which bills itself unambiguously as a political event.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Can you please provide a link where "every constitutional scholar" has stated that this law is unconstitutional. I havent seen nor heard one thing about this and this bill has gotten alot of press lately. All I have heard is the threat of a few boycotts.
Sorry, I've got a newborn so I don't have time to be your research assistant, but if you Google "constitutionality of Arizona immigration law" you'll find reams of information. Essentially it comes down to the fact that states don't have the right to legislate as it pertains to foreign affairs. ie, just as Georgia can't set up its own embassy in China, it has no right to make it against Georgia law for Chinese people to be here illegally. Only the feds can do that.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Of course it's a PR effort, but that doesn't mean there won't, or shouldn't, be political speech during the event.
And the fact that you happen to agree with said political speech is not relevant, presumably.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I've got a newborn so I don't have time to be your research assistant, but if you Google "constitutionality of Arizona immigration law" you'll find reams of information. Essentially it comes down to the fact that states don't have the right to legislate as it pertains to foreign affairs. ie, just as Georgia can't set up its own embassy in China, it has no right to make it against Georgia law for Chinese people to be here illegally. Only the feds can do that.
Well, if you can google it and come up with reams of info, then it must, by god, pure gospel. Who needs real lawyering? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta