U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:39 AM

34 posts, read 78,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
He couldn't be more off base by comparing immigration to the Civil Rights struggle; two completely different situations.

Just how does the Georgia immigration law affect those who come here legally?

I agree with the first part, but then really what boarder issues is Georgia having? LOL

Old 05-16-2011, 10:40 AM

823 posts, read 1,959,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
So you're a "9-11 Inside Jobber" dude. Wow. Everybody else paying attention?

That is all I/we need to know as well.
What does the movie Inside Job have to do with 9/11? (Hint: Nothing).

Good for Santana. I am embarrassed both as someone who lives in Georgia and an American that this is how states are responding. You want to stop undocumented workers? Go after their employers. Of course, the GA bill doesn't really do that as that would upset their masters. This is political theater designed to placate their base and enrich their lawyer buddies who will make big money defending this garbage.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:41 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,552,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is wrong on lots of different levels.

First of all, although Santana does sing sometimes, he is known as a guitarist, not a singer.

Second, he was not hired to sing. In fact, he has never been hired to sing in his life. In this case, he was invited to receive a political award, and make some statements relevant to the award and the theme of the event.

Third, nobody should have to keep their politics to themselves, particularly at an event which bills itself unambiguously as a political event.
My opinion is that he was out of line and out of context. You can feel free to disagree.

I understand who he is....I've seen him in concert in SF. I was alluding to the documentary related to the Dixie Chicks. My fault for assuming everyone has heard of it.

Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also the book by Laura Ingraham: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_Up...erting_America

Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,525,287 times
Quote:
And the fact that you happen to agree with said political speech is not relevant, presumably.
I've made no statement, nor will I, in support or opposition to what Santana said.

For the record, this is a complex issue which I have not given enough attention, so I haven't decided which side I am on on this issue. Nice job trying to invent facts out of thin air, though.

As for Carlos Santana, I like some of his music, but after about '72 it got too smooth-jazzy for me. I agree with some of what he has said in the past, but he often devolves into new-age psychobabble, so I don't allign myself with him in any way.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:59 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,159,452 times
Quote:
Well, if you can google it and come up with reams of info, then it must, by god, pure gospel. Who needs real lawyering? LOL
Are you serious? The other guy asked her for proof and she was nice enough to explain "Google if your friend". She didn't even cite one source where you could ***** about it. She is merely stating the obvious, you are grown, do your own damn research, especially since the O.P felt COMPELLED to start a thread on a topic to bash when they CLEARLY have no actual knowledge about outside of "bah, silly Hispanic singer, ****"

Typical knee-jerk reaction and typical posts.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:00 AM

28,197 posts, read 24,793,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I say...."shut up and sing" and keep your politics to yourself. He was hired to sing, not to give his views on immigration.
I agree -- if he was just hired to perform that's what he should do.

However, the article implied it was some kind of civil rights ceremony and that he'd been invited to the podium. If that's true then I don't see why he shouldn't speak out.

But it's hard to tell what the context was for sure.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM

479 posts, read 567,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Are you serious? The other guy asked her for proof and she was nice enough to explain "Google if your friend". She didn't even cite one source where you could ***** about it. She is merely stating the obvious, you are grown, do your own damn research, especially since the O.P felt COMPELLED to start a thread on a topic to bash when they CLEARLY have no actual knowledge about outside of "bah, silly Hispanic singer, ****"

Typical knee-jerk reaction and typical posts.
Facts are so inconvenient. Rhetoric and charges of ignorance/racism/blah blah work so much better, dont they...?

Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM

5,450 posts, read 3,986,021 times
I don't think its any of his business. He can say what he wants as can anyone but unless you live in Georgia.. its really not really your fight, its ours.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM

2,128 posts, read 3,404,664 times
Props to him for speaking out on something he believes in.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 AM

34 posts, read 78,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyogelvie View Post
I don't think its any of his business. He can say what he wants as can anyone but unless you live in Georgia.. its really not really your fight, its ours.
What exactly is this fight? What issues is Georgia having with illegal immigration? Is it those pesky people from 'bama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta