Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 AM

864 posts, read 1,117,644 times

Advertisements

So we got beat by every other sunbelt city, even Austin and Houston? Wow.

Wait a damn minute. Hawaii is above DC,NYC Chicago,Etc? This list blows.

Last edited by muxBuppie; 05-27-2011 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:38 AM

864 posts, read 1,117,644 times
Atlanta does NOT sprawl into Tennessee either. That's just dumb.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Atlanta does NOT sprawl into Tennessee either. That's just dumb.
Maybe not, but if nothing is done to curb the sprawl, it will. Part of metro Atlanta sprawls into Alabama.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearDensity View Post
Cobb County is anti-tax. As a Cobb resident, I can tell you that as density increases and traffic gets slower people are really starting to embrace the thought of rail solutions. I think the transit tax next year will get a nod from at least 45% of Cobb voters.

Cobb growth collides with anti-tax views *| ajc.com

I am not sure whether the Hwy-41 corridor in Cobb County can lure enough car riders to reduce the pressure on I-75 significantly as much of the traffic comes from Cherokee County.

This line will do nothing unless there is a direct MARTA rail link from the Cumberland area to either Midtown Arts Center (roughly following I-75) or Dunwoody Station (roughly following I-285)

Amazing that commute times down I-75 have more than tripled over the last 10 years. Maybe a better idea is to run heavy rail down the center of I-75 from Kennesaw to Cumberland. That way the car riders would see the train pass them at 70 MPH several times each morning as the cars creep along.
I'm one of those Cobb County residents who would be more than willing to pay the tax for a rail line. I would be more than happy to see MARTA expand into Kennesaw, where I live.

However, it is not just the tax some people have a problem with, although it is a large barrier. With the taxes, I notice some people would rather pay more and more money for gasoline and longer commutes than pay taxes. I think in the eyes of some people, the attitude is "at least it's my money and not the government's money". What's interesting is that government money helps pay for the roads.

The other barrier I'm talking about is the attitude towards mass transit, and especially towards MARTA. When I was younger, I was dealing with the shock of not having a car. Before that mother and father gave the rides for me. Once I went to college, I was dealing with a shock. I felt like transportation should have been better. However, even among some college students, the attitude towards mass transit was disturbing. The number one thing I heard from people was "crime". Being young and slightly impressionable, I thought "Mass transit brings in crime"? I didn't really understand and in later on I suspected "crime" was codeword for "poor Blacks and poor Hispanics". I was very conflicted by this. I knew I would benefit from MARTA being in Cobb County. I knew it would help ME.

I did more research and found that the anti-MARTA attitude in Cobb County goes way back. At the time, the mentality among some of the residents was that it would bring in the African-American population from Atlanta. Part of the reason it was referred to as Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta. The irony would be that the African-American and Hispanic populations have increased rapidly in the last 20 years in Cobb(and Gwinnett) counties without MARTA really being there.

Personally, I think some(not all) view regional mass transit as something for the "lower class" people and don't want it for that reason.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Personally, I think some(not all) view regional mass transit as something for the "lower class" people and don't want it for that reason.
A lot of the racial viewpoints are valid when you're talking about the metro area of the early to later 1980s.

But I think today it's more specific - people don't necessarily see "mass transit" in general as something only the lower class uses... but they do see curb-to-curb bus service as such, as they see that in particular as something only used by "people who can't afford cars" (hence, "lower class"). I did an informal poll amongst my neighbors and coworkers here in West Cobb a while back asking them about their viewpoints on transit, and most of them said they would LOVE to see rail or commuter rail come to this area, provided it was set up for commuters and not "carless people". In other words, if they set up rail stations in industrial parks or off of a highway with large parking lots that people could park in and then hop on the train and take it into the city from there, then they would love to see it. They also supported the current Xpress commuter bus service as it basically works in the same manner.

However, the very mention of curb-to-curb bus service was a definite No-No with every single one of them. They do indeed feel that it brings in lower income people to an area, and everyone was against the idea of that. Even a couple of people I know who own shops said they didn't feel it would open a pool of new employees for them, saying that they would not want to hire someone that had to rely on a bus to get to work on time, etc. Another comment they shared was that in their opinion, "someone who cannot afford a car might be more likely to steal from you".

So suburban areas and mentalities towards transit AS A WHOLE have improved over the years. I think a majority of people will embrace some sort of commuter rail style setup. The idea of MARTA running it turns some people off, and any mention of curb-to-curb bus series will ruin the whole thing if they try to push that off as part of a transit package in areas. Let's just hope some very competent people are hired to get the advertising out for the bill and to explain to people exactly what they will and will not get out of it.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 PM

125 posts, read 231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A lot of the racial viewpoints are valid when you're talking about the metro area of the early to later 1980s.

But I think today it's more specific - people don't necessarily see "mass transit" in general as something only the lower class uses... but they do see curb-to-curb bus service as such, as they see that in particular as something only used by "people who can't afford cars" (hence, "lower class"). I did an informal poll amongst my neighbors and coworkers here in West Cobb a while back asking them about their viewpoints on transit, and most of them said they would LOVE to see rail or commuter rail come to this area, provided it was set up for commuters and not "carless people". In other words, if they set up rail stations in industrial parks or off of a highway with large parking lots that people could park in and then hop on the train and take it into the city from there, then they would love to see it. They also supported the current Xpress commuter bus service as it basically works in the same manner.

However, the very mention of curb-to-curb bus service was a definite No-No with every single one of them. They do indeed feel that it brings in lower income people to an area, and everyone was against the idea of that. Even a couple of people I know who own shops said they didn't feel it would open a pool of new employees for them, saying that they would not want to hire someone that had to rely on a bus to get to work on time, etc. Another comment they shared was that in their opinion, "someone who cannot afford a car might be more likely to steal from you".

So suburban areas and mentalities towards transit AS A WHOLE have improved over the years. I think a majority of people will embrace some sort of commuter rail style setup. The idea of MARTA running it turns some people off, and any mention of curb-to-curb bus series will ruin the whole thing if they try to push that off as part of a transit package in areas. Let's just hope some very competent people are hired to get the advertising out for the bill and to explain to people exactly what they will and will not get out of it.
The Emory area has curb-to-curb bus service that's served that area well. I've never heard of shop owners only wanting employees who have cars. It must be a sign of the hard economic times. Employers are petty picky these days.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 AM

8,466 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha33 View Post
The Emory area has curb-to-curb bus service that's served that area well. I've never heard of shop owners only wanting employees who have cars. It must be a sign of the hard economic times. Employers are petty picky these days.
Yes, but the type of suburbia that is the Emory area is quite a different beast from Alpharetta, Woodstock and other locales OTP.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:59 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,495,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm one of those Cobb County residents who would be more than willing to pay the tax for a rail line. I would be more than happy to see MARTA expand into Kennesaw, where I live.

However, it is not just the tax some people have a problem with, although it is a large barrier. With the taxes, I notice some people would rather pay more and more money for gasoline and longer commutes than pay taxes. I think in the eyes of some people, the attitude is "at least it's my money and not the government's money". What's interesting is that government money helps pay for the roads.

The other barrier I'm talking about is the attitude towards mass transit, and especially towards MARTA. When I was younger, I was dealing with the shock of not having a car. Before that mother and father gave the rides for me. Once I went to college, I was dealing with a shock. I felt like transportation should have been better. However, even among some college students, the attitude towards mass transit was disturbing. The number one thing I heard from people was "crime". Being young and slightly impressionable, I thought "Mass transit brings in crime"? I didn't really understand and in later on I suspected "crime" was codeword for "poor Blacks and poor Hispanics". I was very conflicted by this. I knew I would benefit from MARTA being in Cobb County. I knew it would help ME.

I did more research and found that the anti-MARTA attitude in Cobb County goes way back. At the time, the mentality among some of the residents was that it would bring in the African-American population from Atlanta. Part of the reason it was referred to as Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta. The irony would be that the African-American and Hispanic populations have increased rapidly in the last 20 years in Cobb(and Gwinnett) counties without MARTA really being there.

Very good post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta