U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:21 AM

8 posts, read 16,220 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My husband and I just moved to Atlanta and we've found a house we like in Sandy Springs. My husband grew up there so he knows how it was 20 years ago but I cant seem to find anyone our age who lives there now to let me know what it's like. Any thoughts?

Specifically, we are wondering if it will be hard to meet other families. We hope to start ours next year. The street we are looking at doesnt seem to have any young couples but are there parks or other places that I would be able to go (most of them seem Tennis focused)? What about pool? Also how is Heards Ferry? My husband went private so he can't comment. It looks like the demographics recently changed drastically there. Finally how would my commute to downtown be? The house is on Manchester Pl.

For comparison we also looked in E Cobb (sope creek area) but wanted to be a little closer in and closer to restaurants. And we looked in town but wanted a newer house for under 500 (not happening). Any comparisons would be helpful.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,174,475 times
That particular area of SS is lovely. I know three families that live in the Heards Ferry/Riverside Drive area; all are around my age (50's) and have grown or nearly grown children. I know that this is hardly a scientific assessment, but my sense of this neighborhood is that these homes are by and large not 'starter' homes for young couples and families but rather their second or third home purchase as their careers advance and they trade up. My feeling is that a more typical 'young family' neighborhood in SS would be found on the eastern side of Roswell Rd. (Kayron/Hilderbrand Drive area) where the homes are less expensive, smaller and more likely to be a first-time home purchase.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:03 AM

@LovinDecatur - Yeah that's what we're thinking that couples our age have been priced out of SS...but maybe that will turn around now that prices are going down? And it seems that many of the people who are selling there are retiring so maybe that will bring in some younger folks?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 AM

2,389 posts, read 3,759,749 times
That sounds typical of a mature neighborhood. When it is new it often attracts young families with kids, the kids group up and move out and you have alot of empty nesters. At some point, those parents retire, downsize, move etc. If the local schools are good then young families start moving back into these neighborhoods as the homes become available and the cycle starts over.

The question is where is SS on this cycle. You could be the first of those young families moving back into the neighborhood and more will follow you or you could be moving into a neighborhood where those empty nesters are comfortable and not ready to leave.

With the depressed home prices, I would not be surprised if this keeps the empy nesters in their homes longer as they have lost equity in their homes.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,627,370 times
There are a few, but yes most are priced out. I grew up there. My wife did as well. We plan to get back to the Heards Ferry district. I went to school there and graduated from Riverwood. That is one of the best school districts around. Riverwood always ranks as the #2 public high school in the state...behind Walton in East Cobb.

Don't buy the pink stucco house if that is the one you're looking at (sorry for stalking). Resell will burdensome.

If you're buying in that range, look off of Riverside Drive. Much more family oriented over there. The Riverside Pool/Club is a great facility. You also have swim/tennis in most other neighborhoods as well. Check out North Harbor. There is a foreclosure in the neighborhood that will go cheap (if it is still available).

Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM

17 posts, read 31,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNew2ATL View Post
Hi all. My husband and I just moved to Atlanta and we've found a house we like in Sandy Springs. My husband grew up there so he knows how it was 20 years ago but I cant seem to find anyone our age who lives there now to let me know what it's like. Any thoughts?

Specifically, we are wondering if it will be hard to meet other families. We hope to start ours next year. The street we are looking at doesnt seem to have any young couples but are there parks or other places that I would be able to go (most of them seem Tennis focused)? What about pool? Also how is Heards Ferry? My husband went private so he can't comment. It looks like the demographics recently changed drastically there. Finally how would my commute to downtown be? The house is on Manchester Pl.

For comparison we also looked in E Cobb (sope creek area) but wanted to be a little closer in and closer to restaurants. And we looked in town but wanted a newer house for under 500 (not happening). Any comparisons would be helpful.

Thanks!!

I feel your pain. Smyrna may be another option. This Sandy Springs part of Atlanta is old, and frankly, stodgy. I suspect that you are ahead of your peer group, because the people who bought in 30318 are realizing they have made a terrible mistake. 30342 and 30327 are by far and away the smarter option if you can afford it.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 AM

@ATLGolfer - Ha yes not the stucco one. We did walk through it though for comparison.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,174,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodsa View Post
I feel your pain. Smyrna may be another option. This Sandy Springs part of Atlanta is old, and frankly, stodgy. I suspect that you are ahead of your peer group, because the people who bought in 30318 are realizing they have made a terrible mistake. 30342 and 30327 are by far and away the smarter option if you can afford it.
Forgive me, but this makes no sense to me. Can you clarify?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM

13,645 posts, read 22,106,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Forgive me, but this makes no sense to me. Can you clarify?

I didn't understand it as well...clarification please.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:55 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,621,541 times
Most one-street subdivisions are not going to have a lot of kids, and that part of Sandy Springs is definitely older.

As others have suggested, you should check out some swim and tennis neighborhoods, like Riverside or North Harbor.

I have also heard good things about North Springs, which is on the other side of Johnson Ferry and also has a neighborhood pool (Mark Trail Club). However, that feeds in Spalding Drive Elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or