U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 PM

115 posts, read 203,626 times

Advertisements

I am 24, have one more year of law school, and after I graduate, I have to get out of Georgia for a year before I start my career as a lawyer in Atlanta. I was born and raised in Atlanta, but I am not Southern (no accent). My parents are from the Midwest.

Anyway, I think Denver would be really cool, mostly because I want to be in a city in the West, but not too far west.

But I know nothing about Denver.

-Is it hard to meet people and make friends in Denver?

I wouldn't know a soul.

-What do young people do for fun on the weekends?

I am into going to bars, clubs, and house parties. Is Denver good for that type of scene?

-Will people write me off as soon as I say I am from Atlanta?

I am not tying to imply Denverites are snobs, but lets be honest, the south doesn't have the best reputation.

-Will it hold me back (socially) that I don't know how to ski/snowboard and I am not that big on camping?

I do like hiking and water-sports.

-How is Denver for a single white male in his mid-20s (compared to Atlanta)?

I like to date around and I'm a good-looking guy.

-What's the dominant youth culture/style in Denver?

In my mind, I picture it as hippie/earthy yuppies. I have an earthy side, as I like jam bands, going to concerts, and celebrating 420 (), but I don't subscribe to High Times and find people who do to be annoying, if you catch my drift. I'm preppy if anything and fit in well in Buckhead--I wear polo, drive an X5, have a nice watch--but I also rock cool tee-shirts and jeans. Is Denver similar or no?

I really need to get out of GA as I have never lived anywhere else. So, thanks for helping me attain personal growth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 02:52 PM

10,025 posts, read 9,344,452 times
Not from Denver but have spent some time there. While I cannot speak to the 20 something social scene, folks there are genuinely nice and pleasant. I think you'll do just fine.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:42 PM

2,381 posts, read 3,746,597 times
I have known several Southerners that have moved to Denver and been very happy although most moved in their 30's and 40's.

Denver is a very active community so enjoying the outdoors I would think is important for someone your age although I don't think you specifically need to ski or snowboard.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 PM

115 posts, read 203,626 times
Thanks for the responses. People over at the Denver forum seem to think I won't fit in because I seem very southern. Despite the fact that I really don't consider myself Southern, besides describing where I was born, does anyone know how Southerners are received out there?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:05 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,153,636 times
Colorado is Mountain West, which is sort of neutral on the whole North/South rivalry. Out West, there is a bias against the South, but they don't like the Northeast much either.

Also, Denver is more conservative than you may think... it's not a hippie haven. That would be Boulder. Since you don't consider yourself a southern though, just introduce yourself as an Atlantan.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:05 PM

2,381 posts, read 3,746,597 times
I travel for work all across the US and people are not really that different and can get along anywhere as long as they enjoy the activities the city has to offer.

If you were a social conservative moving to a liberal area and vice versa you may notice a difference but you can get that just moving from one area of Atlanta to another. The pace of the city could make a difference, Northeasterns and Southerns often clash on this issue.

There are all types of people in every city. That is silly to say that you are too Southern. How did they come to that conclusion.

My only warning is that even if you don't have much of a Southern accent, you will likely get lots of comments.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,281,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post

Thanks for the responses. People over at the Denver forum seem to think I won't fit in because I seem very southern. Despite the fact that I really don't consider myself Southern, besides describing where I was born, does anyone know how Southerners are received out there?

I don't think you sound very Southern at all. Your parents are originally from the Midwest and you don't have a Southern accent. There's tons of native Atlantans who would in no way fit the "typical" Southern stereotype.

I think too many of the people on the Denver forum have misconceptions about Atlanta. Yeah, Atlanta is in the South. But that's not saying much. Atlanta has a huge Jewish community. Atlanta has a huge Hispanic community. Atlanta has a huge Asian community. Atlanta has a huge gay community.

I'm a 20-year resident of Atlanta but I grew up in Denver as a child. This is back in the '50s and early '60s. Denver was a melting pot back then. It still is!

Families in our area were from all over the country. I had a friend from Odessa, Texas. I had a friend and his parents were originally from Missouri. The dog across the street was named Tex, so you know where they were from.

If you don't have a Southern accent, people are not going to be able to label you as Southern. And even if you did have a Southern accent, people in Denver are pretty darn accepting.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 PM

7,410 posts, read 10,078,074 times
My brother and sister-in-law moved to Colorado Springs 5 years ago and have fit in nicely. Of course the Springs are considered more conservative and they are older and not in the age group you are looking to mingle with, but from their experience and visiting them, they have found Coloradoans very friendly and have not sensed any bias for their being southern. And we grew up in a small town south of Atlanta, so we are true southerners.

According to them, if there is a specific group that gets under the natives' skin, it is Texans. Living here in Texas, I can understand that. A lot of Texans have mountain property there or head there for skiing. Sometimes they can be a bit obnoxious with their Texan bravado. But this doesn't seem to extend to other southern states.

We met some young guys from southern states in Denver as well as on one of the rafting groups on the Arkansas River, they have enjoyed their experience there and haven't had any of the problems you are concerned with.

Go and enjoy your year there.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,281,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post

I travel for work all across the US and people are not really that different and can get along anywhere as long as they enjoy the activities the city has to offer.

If you were a social conservative moving to a liberal area and vice versa you may notice a difference but you can get that just moving from one area of Atlanta to another. The pace of the city could make a difference, Northeasterns and Southerns often clash on this issue.

There are all types of people in every city. That is silly to say that you are too Southern. How did they come to that conclusion.

My only warning is that even if you don't have much of a Southern accent, you will likely get lots of comments.

I agree with you.

In a big city like Denver, there's all kinds of people. Atlanta is the same way. It's not like you're living in a small isolated area out in the boonies. There's tons of options and choices.

One thing that you can't change is the weather. You may love the weather. A lot of people like different climates than they've been used to. Denver has a different climate than Atlanta. Way different! The summer here is the worst season. I personally feel that the summer in Denver is the best season.

Summer highs in Denver can get warm but it's a dry heat. Nothing like Phoenix, though. And the summer nights are cool and lots of times require wearing a light jacket.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:44 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,623,987 times
OP sounds inmature, arrogant & condescending. I hope he enjoys Denver & doesn't come back! We don't need his kind around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or