U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 AM

221 posts, read 132,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Theres a difference between voting for a new tax plan because it's better than the current one, and voting for a new tax plan because it's different than the current one. I absolutely detest the current tax system, not because of how much it makes me pay, but because of how long it takes me to go through everything (and how complicated it is). I'm not going to vote for a new tax plan that makes it easier if that tax plan's end result is not good for the country at large.

If someone put forth a plan that removed all these silly deductions, and ran a progressive system such that the poor were putting in a small amount, and the rich were not able to dodge it using tons of loopholes, then I'd think about it. This plan isn't that.

Different ≠ better.
Agreed, but people analyzing the details Herman's 9-9-9 are worrying over nothing. There is ZERO chance of 9-9-9 getting passed into law as is. None.

It's just an idea. A new concept for how we think about taxation and paying for government.

Right now, just the thought of making taxation more simple and more fair is encouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 PM

732 posts, read 277,686 times
i dont really understand why 999 is being passed off as being more simple. If anything, it sounds more complicated to me. Plus, enforcing it would be even more difficult.

We stil have and income and corporate tax. What exactly are we paying tax on? Gross Revenue? Profit? What happens to business expenses? What happens to the demand for new goods? (the sales tax would only apply to new goods). Herman needs to do a better job at explaining what this 999 is all about.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
i dont really understand why 999 is being passed off as being more simple. If anything, it sounds more complicated to me. Plus, enforcing it would be even more difficult.

We stil have and income and corporate tax. What exactly are we paying tax on? Gross Revenue? Profit? What happens to business expenses? What happens to the demand for new goods? (the sales tax would only apply to new goods). Herman needs to do a better job at explaining what this 999 is all about.
It might not be simpler if you are a W-2/Turbo Tax type of taxpayer. But if you are 1099 or a self-employed business owner, tax issues can be incredibly complex, and expensive. An enormous amount of time, energy, and money is spent on tax avoidance and paying the best accountants money can buy to avoid taxes legally.

True story to illustrate the BS that is our tax code . . .

A different CPA did my taxes in 2007. He was my CPA's partner for over 10 years. He said I owed $8,000 more than expected. I insisted my usual CPA review the returns . . . my CPA said I get $2,000 back. That's a $10,000 difference in taxation by 2 very experienced CPA's, in the same firm!

The difference? Their interpretation of the 10-million word tax code.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 PM

966 posts, read 703,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
It might not be simpler if you are a W-2/Turbo Tax type of taxpayer. But if you are 1099 or a self-employed business owner, tax issues can be incredibly complex, and expensive. An enormous amount of time, energy, and money is spent on tax avoidance and paying the best accountants money can buy to avoid taxes legally.
True. Each year, I may get five or more W-2, and 5 more 1099s. Then my wife gets her own sets. Between all those, figuring out what I can and can't write off and to what percentage, figuring out how the home office and health care fit in, then all the other random crap like investments and retirement accounts...it's crazy. And mine aren't nearly as hard as the "real" business guy, as I don't actually own a business. But the current tax code treats me as a business because I make money not under an actual employer. I actually just stopped trying to figure out how to legally avoid more taxes and just paid the extra because it wasn't worth my time and because I call it doing my part to contribute.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
True. Each year, I may get five or more W-2, and 5 more 1099s. Then my wife gets her own sets. Between all those, figuring out what I can and can't write off and to what percentage, figuring out how the home office and health care fit in, then all the other random crap like investments and retirement accounts...it's crazy. And mine aren't nearly as hard as the "real" business guy, as I don't actually own a business. But the current tax code treats me as a business because I make money not under an actual employer. I actually just stopped trying to figure out how to legally avoid more taxes and just paid the extra because it wasn't worth my time and because I call it doing my part to contribute.
You sound like a good American, sami. But, your last line is one of the keys in the consumption tax part of 9-9-9.

You call it doing your part to contribute, and that's very admirable. But, a HUGE portion of non-W2 employees work in what's called the underground economy and pay ZERO or very little on income. It's the whole "cash has no footprints" argument and is practiced in both legal and illegal occupations.

I happen to own a business that a) collects cash, and b) would get really hurt by any national sales tax. So selfishly, I hope no national consumption tax is ever passed, but I understand the need.

FYI - I report every penny of cash collected. I've tried fighting the IRS on a small scale and it's just not worth the stress or loss of peace. Those guys can make your life not fun.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,751,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post

True story to illustrate the BS that is our tax code . . .

A different CPA did my taxes in 2007. He was my CPA's partner for over 10 years. He said I owed $8,000 more than expected. I insisted my usual CPA review the returns . . . my CPA said I get $2,000 back. That's a $10,000 difference in taxation by 2 very experienced CPA's, in the same firm!

The difference? Their interpretation of the 10-million word tax code.
So true...simplify the damn tax code...its ridiculous!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:05 AM

13,778 posts, read 8,148,741 times
Well, now it sounds like they are going after Herman Cain the same way they went after Clarence Thomas by bringing up women who say they were harassed by him.

Your morning jolt: Herman Cain on his own ‘high-tech lynching’ a la Clarence Thomas

Herman Cain accused by two women of inappropriate behavior

Old 10-31-2011, 12:46 PM

682 posts, read 1,039,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, now it sounds like they are going after Herman Cain the same way they went after Clarence Thomas by bringing up women who say they were harassed by him.

Your morning jolt: Herman Cain on his own ‘high-tech lynching’ a la Clarence Thomas

Herman Cain accused by two women of inappropriate behavior
I will admit even though I haven't taken Cain's campaign seriously, someone on the right obviously has and is trying to stop his momentum. It was ok for him to have a couple of weeks of good press, but clearly this has gone on way too long and is taking away focus from Romney/Perry. Who knows if this story will stick, we'll see when another one of these "magical" polls come out.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,634,808 times
I like Herman Cain but he needs to handle the national level campaign stuff better. This harassment thing is the latest example. He's gotta do better.

And I am not sure that it was someone on the right that released this info, maybe so, maybe not. Politico isn't on the right is it?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 PM

106 posts, read 113,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Cain joins presidential race with promise to beat Obama *| ajc.com

Another Atlantan joins the race for President in 2012! In his announcement Herman Cain harkened back to Martin Luther King's great "Free at Last" speech.

YouTube - ‪Herman Cain Presidential Announcement Part 3 of 3‬‏

I can remember Cain on the radio years ago, he was always more outspoken with his stupidity. When the recession hit, I can remember him saying for probably a year straight... "Folks we are not in a recession" "Your in a personal recession!" He's full of talk, a real late night spinster, which lends itself perfectly to being a politician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta