Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 02:19 PM

559 posts, read 832,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One thing I do like about candidates with private sector experience is that they have a personal awareness of what it's like in the "real world." If you're the person who's directly responsible for making payroll, satisfying the customers, making sure all the taxes, insurance and creditors are paid, making sure the lights are on and the AC is working, then you understand what a hot seat that is. You can't simply "increase the budget" or "request additional funding." You have to get out there and get it yourself, and if that means you and your family personally go without, that's just the way it.

This gives you an enormous sense of immediacy that is obviously lacking among politicians from both parties.

Fantastic post. 100% true.

I'd wager that 90% of our politicians couldn't run a lemonade stand, yet they're trying to manage/operate 24% of the world's GDP.

As someone who has actually done those things you mention, yes, I can tell you it's a life-changing experience being on the other side of that hot seat . . . and there's no business theory or econ book that can ever explain that horrible feeling in your gut when you, your business, and your family must create innovation or face elimination.

At that point, writing another check w/ money you don't have . . . is NOT an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 08:46 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Great post. It seems like all this Denny Crane or whatever his name wants is a sh*t talker in office.
That's not at all what I interpreted Denny as saying.

I don't think experience in the private sector is absolutely mandatory for public office, but there's no question that it gives you an important perspective that career politicians don't have.

There's a huge difference between saying "We need to authorize more funding" and being the individual at ground zero who has to actually generate said funding, and probably make significant personal sacrifices to do so.

There are countless examples. There was a video out the other day about some congressman here in Georgia who advocates dismantling Medicare but gladly accepts government healthcare for himself because, as he puts it, "It's free!"

Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Herman is kicking some you know what. If you ask me, Michele Bachmann and Newt will drop out, and Cain will pick up many of their voters. Then it will be Herman vs. Sarah Palin for the conservative wing of the party. With all due respect to her, he just seems more Presidential to me.

PPP poll: Herman Cain tied for second with Sarah Palin in Iowa | Political Insider

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Herman is kicking some you know what. If you ask me, Michele Bachmann and Newt will drop out, and Cain will pick up many of their voters. Then it will be Herman vs. Sarah Palin for the conservative wing of the party. With all due respect to her, he just seems more Presidential to me.

PPP poll: Herman Cain tied for second with Sarah Palin in Iowa | Political Insider

Arjay, I think you might substitute Bachmann for Palin in your theory.

Palin and Newt have negatives off the chart and Bachmann seems to be gaining the blue-collar, Tea party support . . . particularly w/ the 23 foster kids story. I can't even handle my 2 nose-pickers, much less 23.

Newt may be the most intelligent guy in the room, but the media would absolutely massacre his personal life. He's toast.

Palin lost me when she quit governing her state to become a media sensation. Reagan spent 8 years running California before trying to run the U.S., and Clinton was governor of Arkansas for 12. Palin should have done the same if she wanted to be POTUS. When it comes to real leadership, I'll take governing skills over book tours, TV shows, and Facebook/Twitter exposure.

As for Herman, he's my favorite, hands down. I've never put a political sign in my yard, or a bumper sticker on my car . . . but for Herman, I would.

Herman and Bachmann for the conservative vote.

Pawlenty and Romney for the moderate vote.

Or at least that's how this uneducated eye sees it.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Right now the ticket I would like to see is Cain for President and Palin as V.P. If the GOP wants to defeat Obama they will have to bypass the traditional main stream news media. Liberal thinkers dominate the networks and most cable news/comedy channels. You Tube and Facebook are powerful tools and we have to learn how to use them.

GL2

Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Newt may be the most intelligent guy in the room, but the media would absolutely massacre his personal life. He's toast.
Newt's a very smart guy but I don't think his personal life will be his downfall this time around. It's simply that he's been all over the lot on so many issues. For years he was a huge supporter of the individual mandate to buy health insurance, but now says he's against it. A couple of years ago he made those global warming commercials with Pelosi and Al Gore. In March he went on Greta and said we should impose a no-fly zone over Libya immediately and a week later he said we should not have intervened.

Can you imagine what Palin or Bachmann will do to him? He'll get eaten alive in the primaries.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Newt's a very smart guy but I don't think his personal life will be his downfall this time around. It's simply that he's been all over the lot on so many issues. For years he was a huge supporter of the individual mandate to buy health insurance, but now says he's against it. A couple of years ago he made those global warming commercials with Pelosi and Al Gore. In March he went on Greta and said we should impose a no-fly zone over Libya immediately and a week later he said we should not have intervened.

Can you imagine what Palin or Bachmann will do to him? He'll get eaten alive in the primaries.

Good points, Arjay. Forgot about that global warming commercial w/ San Fran Nan. Bad decision.

Plus, the deal w/ Ryan last week got public and messy. Fiscal responsibility has become the sole focus since BO got elected and Newt came out looking soft on budget cuts.

Come to think of it, Newt is piling up quite the resume of verbal gaffes. What is true in the Bible is true in politics . . . Life and death are in the power of the tongue.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Herman just keeps rolling.

Poll Shows Herman Cain With Large Lead In Ga.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:30 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times
Go Herman! Go Herman! Go Herman!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Herman was on ABC's "This Week" this morning.

There's also a big write up about him in the New York Times.

A G.O.P. Hopeful Gathers Momentum as More Voters Like What They Hear
Regardless of one's politics, it's great to see an Atlanta candidate in the limelight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta