Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 PM

194 posts, read 618,669 times

Advertisements

This same trend occurred in the 80s, albeit the average Black folks in the 80s had significantly less buying power than folks today.

The result was a ring of poor suburbs surrounding the suddenly-whiter city center.

My family tried the suburbs for 1 year back in the 80s (Chicago-area, South Suburbs) but fortunately my father recognized the trick and took us back to Chicago proper where familiar communities were more established and less-succeptible to the whims of majority/minority jostling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 02:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
4. Because you have far more whites leaving than blacks moving in, whites that attempted to remain cannot sell their houses as quickly (or at all) and begin to rent the properties; with fewer people (notably property owners with a stake in the community) the tax base erodes and neighborhood services begin to decline
Some subdivisions have HOAs which can limit this activity due to restrictions on the percentage of rentals.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:44 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by son-house View Post
This same trend occurred in the 80s, albeit the average Black folks in the 80s had significantly less buying power than folks today.

The result was a ring of poor suburbs surrounding the suddenly-whiter city center.

My family tried the suburbs for 1 year back in the 80s (Chicago-area, South Suburbs) but fortunately my father recognized the trick and took us back to Chicago proper where familiar communities were more established and less-succeptible to the whims of majority/minority jostling.
And I would imagine those people who were able to hold onto those Southside properties were the catalyst to black buying power of the 1990s and 2000s because of the amount of equity they built up. And imagine, Bernard Hopkins thinks Donovan McNabb is privileged to have grown up in Dolton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Some subdivisions have HOAs which can limit this activity due to restrictions on the percentage of rentals.
No doubt, more upper-middle income and upper income subdivisions have Homeowners associations. In your opinion, when do you think HOAs in metro Atlanta became the norm? I would estimate sometime in the mid-90s. The transitional neighborhoods that I am envisioning definitely did not have HOAs. Clayton County simply doesn't have the more upscale communities that tend to have HOAs. I would be interested to know in informal polling how many people in metro Atlanta living in a community older than the 1990s actually have an HOA in place.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:27 AM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
No doubt, more upper-middle income and upper income subdivisions have Homeowners associations. In your opinion, when do you think HOAs in metro Atlanta became the norm? I would estimate sometime in the mid-90s. The transitional neighborhoods that I am envisioning definitely did not have HOAs. Clayton County simply doesn't have the more upscale communities that tend to have HOAs. I would be interested to know in informal polling how many people in metro Atlanta living in a community older than the 1990s actually have an HOA in place.

Actually, tons of neighborhoods...especially in the suburban areas. This started in the 1970s. It has been the saving grace for a lot areas in the Metro.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
I've only lived in the Atlanta area for 6 1/2 years, so I can't give any insight into the history of HOAs here, but our subdivision has had an HOA since it was established by John Wieland in 1988.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta