Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

I have a question about the IT job market in Atlanta. Specifically, I'd like to know where the jobs are located. (And please don't tell me the job market sucks or that all the jobs have been sent to India. Based on what I've been seeing and hearing, I know that's not true.) In most cities, you tend to find the jobs concentrated in the downtown area. However, what I've noticed about Atlanta in my short time here is that they seem to be more scattered. When I do a search, I find quite a lot in Alpharetta, but most of the jobs show up in Atlanta. Of course, Atlanta can mean anything. Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Vinings, etc. Even stuff just outside the perimeter can be listed under Atlanta. Since most job postings don't specify zip codes, job search engines can't really map their locations.

So I'd like to hear from people who are in the IT market or pretty familiar with it. I'm not just looking for a list of the big employers like HomeDepot, CNN, etc. I already know who they are and where they're located. What I'm after is a better sense of where the job clusters are for IT workers. Alpharetta's a big one, but I'm wondering how much of a difference it would make if I excluded that part of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:48 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,301 times
There are quite a few IT companies in the Norcross/Technology Park/John's Creek area. Is there an area of concentration you're looking for specifically? That might help narrow your search a bit.

Good luck and hang in there

Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I have a question about the IT job market in Atlanta. Specifically, I'd like to know where the jobs are located. (And please don't tell me the job market sucks or that all the jobs have been sent to India. Based on what I've been seeing and hearing, I know that's not true.) In most cities, you tend to find the jobs concentrated in the downtown area. However, what I've noticed about Atlanta in my short time here is that they seem to be more scattered. When I do a search, I find quite a lot in Alpharetta, but most of the jobs show up in Atlanta. Of course, Atlanta can mean anything. Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Vinings, etc. Even stuff just outside the perimeter can be listed under Atlanta. Since most job postings don't specify zip codes, job search engines can't really map their locations.

So I'd like to hear from people who are in the IT market or pretty familiar with it. I'm not just looking for a list of the big employers like HomeDepot, CNN, etc. I already know who they are and where they're located. What I'm after is a better sense of where the job clusters are for IT workers. Alpharetta's a big one, but I'm wondering how much of a difference it would make if I excluded that part of Atlanta.
I would say that Alpharetta is the Tech hub of Atlanta (Alpharetta a magnet for tech companies | Atlanta Business Chronicle).

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
IT jobs are definitely scattered, but if I had to take a guess, the highest concentrations are: Alpharetta, Duluth, and Dunwoody areas.

Downtown (ATL), mid-town, Buckhead and Marietta (Cobb County) have notable presence of IT jobs as well, but I think lesser so as compared to parts of North Fulton and Gwinnett counties.

IT skill sets for certain jobs vary tremendously, what type of job are you primarily interested in working?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Follow the cheaper commercial rents and you will find the many of the strictly IT companies. Of course, big companies, law firms, hospitals, universities, etc have IT staffs as well.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Is there an area of concentration you're looking for specifically?
Web development (Java/J2EE).

How is the area around Vinings? I see a lot of office buildings and I know HomeDepot and The Weather Channel are out there.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Well, Home Depot's headquarters (SSC), Travelport (Worldspan), the Weather Channel, SITA, and a number of other companies have a strong IT presence in the Cumberland area.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Well, Home Depot's headquarters (SSC), Travelport (Worldspan), the Weather Channel, SITA, and a number of other companies have a strong IT presence in the Cumberland area.
Thanks. In my original post, I said the following:

I'm not just looking for a list of the big employers like HomeDepot, CNN, etc. I already know who they are and where they're located.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Thanks. In my original post, I said the following:

I'm not just looking for a list of the big employers like HomeDepot, CNN, etc. I already know who they are and where they're located.
Yes, and Cumberland is a cluster of many companies. 30339. Your point?

FWIW, I think it's the second largest satellite office area after the perimeter area.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 05-24-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 PM

97 posts, read 241,895 times
Healthcare IT is what I know so there are jobs to be had at nearly every healthcare facility - Clayton County area (Southern Regional), Piedmont's IS staff is housed all over but mainly in the Vinings area right across from Home Depot, Wellstar's hiring and they are all over Paulding, Douglas County, Cobb. IBM has an office near Vinings but I know many employees work from home. Depends completely on what you want to do in IT.

There are so many options that in all honestly, one could say that IT jobs are available in every metro-Atlanta county depending on which industry of IT you're looking at. Very broad question...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta