Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 PM

257 posts, read 470,077 times

Advertisements

Ah, I should have read more closely. Bike trails as white colonization....interesting.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
What irks is simply this. Take the NBA. The vast, vast majority of "top tier" players are black. But yet there is never any hue and cry that more whites should be mandated for "more diversity". Nor are there any rules or laws that provide for special exceptions so that the "appropriate percentage" of white players, relative to their population numbers, in position to draw the large salaries that the NBA pays. The assumption is that, if a white player could hack it, he'd be in there, and that, thus, blacks are just better at the sport and that is all there is to it.

Meanwhile, anywhere white males dominate an industry, its suggested that its ONLY because of past or present racism and prejudice. The persumption being that if blacks were "given" a "fair" shot, they would hold the appropriate percentage of their population (~12%). In such cases the standard solution offered is that blacks (or other minorities) should be given special consideration or even forced into such roles, even if at the expense of more deserving white candidates.

Such blatant double standards shouldnt exist. But they do.
Care to back this assertion up with something besides your opinion? Well here are some stats to refute your false analogy. The only college sports in which black males have an overrepresentative participation percentage in relationship to their overall proportion of the U.S. population are REVENUE GENERATING sports of football and basketball (as well as track and field). Obviously track and field only involves merit-based aid because nobody would be given a scholarship unless they had beat someone in competition at some point. But outside of the REVENUE GENERATING sports, black males are underrepresented in college sports. Accordingly, outside of basketball and track, black females are underrepresented in all college sports.

The only true quota system of affirmative action in this country is Title IX of which white females are the primary beneficiary. What you have in Division I college sports are revenues largely made by black males paying for the athletic scholarships (thus college educations) of white students at many of the most prestigious non-Ivy League institutions in the country. Black males are not the majority of players in the NBA or NFL because of affirmative action, they are there at the behest of all white owners (with the exception of Charlotte I believe) to maximize their own profits. When you have a private, black controlled enterprise that denies participation of whites then please feel free to inform me of it. I will certainly join you in the campaign to get a quota system for whites.

But the mayor of Atlanta has the right to be perplexed. In a country where nearly two-thirds of accountants and auditors are women and nearly one-fourth of accounting graduates are minorities, not even ONE is on the consultant board? In a metropolitan area such as Atlanta no less where this overrepresentation is even greater? I agree with those who say this is the mayor playing politics. I am certain Reed has an agenda. But what he is witnessing is "the good ol' boy network" which has not had its agenda interrupted. Ever. So perhaps the overwhelmingly white jurisdictions of Cherokee and Fayette County CURRENTLY stonewalling transportation expansion efforts and the history of white majority jurisdictions of metro Atlanta stonewalling comprehensive transportation planning, yeah I could see how an Atlanta politician with an agenda would find the make-up of the consultants disconcerting.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Care to back this assertion up with something besides your opinion? Well here are some stats to refute your false analogy. The only college sports in which black males have an overrepresentative participation percentage in relationship to their overall proportion of the U.S. population are REVENUE GENERATING sports of football and basketball (as well as track and field). Obviously track and field only involves merit-based aid because nobody would be given a scholarship unless they had beat someone in competition at some point. But outside of the REVENUE GENERATING sports, black males are underrepresented in college sports. Accordingly, outside of basketball and track, black females are underrepresented in all college sports.

The only true quota system of affirmative action in this country is Title IX of which white females are the primary beneficiary. What you have in Division I college sports are revenues largely made by black males paying for the athletic scholarships (thus college educations) of white students at many of the most prestigious non-Ivy League institutions in the country. Black males are not the majority of players in the NBA or NFL because of affirmative action, they are there at the behest of all white owners (with the exception of Charlotte I believe) to maximize their own profits. When you have a private, black controlled enterprise that denies participation of whites then please feel free to inform me of it. I will certainly join you in the campaign to get a quota system for whites.

But the mayor of Atlanta has the right to be perplexed. In a country where nearly two-thirds of accountants and auditors are women and nearly one-fourth of accounting graduates are minorities, not even ONE is on the consultant board? In a metropolitan area such as Atlanta no less where this overrepresentation is even greater? I agree with those who say this is the mayor playing politics. I am certain Reed has an agenda. But what he is witnessing is "the good ol' boy network" which has not had its agenda interrupted. Ever. So perhaps the overwhelmingly white jurisdictions of Cherokee and Fayette County CURRENTLY stonewalling transportation expansion efforts and the history of white majority jurisdictions of metro Atlanta stonewalling comprehensive transportation planning, yeah I could see how an Atlanta politician with an agenda would find the make-up of the consultants disconcerting.
This post is BRILLIANT!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 PM

396 posts, read 601,494 times
in response to steelers10 above:

/thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well said, ATLHRLGUY. The background people bring to the table often gives them very different perspectives. I remember going to a community meeting one time where bike trails were being discussed. To me that seemed pretty benign -- you know, who doesn't like bike trails in the city, visions of Portland and all that?

Well, I found out. Several people from another area argued passionately that bike trails were another form of white colonization and that instead of spending money so that yuppies could cruise around on their expensive bicycles we should spend it on improving school safety. That's a darn good point and I will have to admit I hadn't given it sufficient attention!

That's just one tiny example of how diversity can play a role in civic discussion. It seems to me the mayor might have handled this better but the point remains.
This point is illustrated in this article--good post, arjay:

The White City | Newgeography.com

Here's a part about Cincinnati--

"We are seeing this script played out in Cincinnati presently, where an odd coalition of African Americans and anti-tax Republicans has formed to try to stop a streetcar system. Streetcar advocates imported Portland's solution and arguments to Cincinnati without thinking hard enough to make the case for how it would benefit the whole community."

Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post

Brilliance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: