Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM

27 posts, read 36,733 times

Advertisements

Been a long time reader of city data, but this is my first post. Be gentle.

I, along with 2 roomates, are looking for a "hip" or "cool" neighborhood to move to in Atlanta. I've looked through the Creative Loafing guide, done my research on Google Maps, read through the forums, and I feel pretty confident that I have an okay idea of the areas I'm interested. But I haven't done enough research inside the city. This is where you can help!

We're all 22 and recent graduates from UGA. I'm working in Midtown, one roommate is working in Dunwoody, and another is taking classes at Georgia State. We realize that the travel time for one of the roommates is going to be a lot, so we're trying to minimize the drive as much as possible.

Having fun in the big city is a big priority. We like to drink, meet people, listen to music in a live setting, etc.. You get the idea.

We're looking at a max 3br $1500 whatever-place in a young area. Pretty much as young as possible. I'm still not used to seeing families everyday...

What do you guys suggest? Also, where are the best places to start looking for an August rental, like websites and whatnot? Thaaaaanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
I went to UGA as well. Greetings from a fellow dawg.

Really, it's going to depend on what type of scene you are into. Atlanta's a pretty young city with multiple young/nightlife districts. I am going to generalize, because that's the easiest to do.

-Buckhead and Brookhaven - Buckhead is the SEC party district. Bar scene. Hot blondes from Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, but also plenty of washed-up frat boys (I can say that b/c I was in one) to compete with. If you choose the apartment route, check out Gramercy (walking distance, but not sure if they have 3 bedrooms though) or Post Chastain. If you want a house, you'll have to head to Brookhaven (north on Peachtree), where all the Buckhead party-goers live if they want a house. Neighborhood is called Ashford Park. Equidistant to Midtown and Dunwoody. GSU farthest.

-Virginia-Highland - Would be my second choice. More of a chill bar scene than Buckhead, and perhaps more of a mid-late 20s crowd. I know many people who live in Buckhead or VA-High but go out in both. Commute would be longest for Dunwoody, closest for Midtown and GSU.

-Midtown - Club scene, more upscale, more "edgy." I go out here sometimes but it's not really my scene. Still really fun though. A lot of SEC guys won't touch it ("too many 'guidos'"). GSU closest, Dunwoody farthest.

-Little 5 Points, East Atlanta Village, and Decatur - Too many hipsters for me, but maybe you are a hipster. If so, check out one of these. Good live-music scene (which you can still enjoy if you live in Buckhead). Far from Dunwoody.

Last edited by BringBackCobain; 05-25-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 03:17 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times
I'd vote Midtown near the Park or Va highland.

Buckhead is too full of blingbling, look what I just purchased type of people for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta