Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 AM

479 posts, read 703,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I don't respect your opinion. I respect your right to have it. That is tolerance. If I were intolerant then I would say that you should be arrested or silenced or otherwise stopped from being able to express it.

Back in the 50's and 60's when a large portion of the population smoked does that mean smoking was 'good'? People most certainly would tune in if it was bad...see Two and a Half Men.
And I respect your opinion even less. In fact, I dont respect anything about you. I just believe you are entitled to your opinion, just like people are permitted to believe in alien space visitors and 9/11 conspiracy theories. Whatever dude.

Im not a defender of the media in general. Most of it is trash. But the fact that Fox news, a conservative outlet, rules the ratings, just shows most americans are on the "right side" of things.

You dont have to like it. You dont have to understand it. You can even believe that some "great awakening" is coming when everyone will become "enlightened" to your POV. But ultimately the truth is that you are just on the outside, looking in.

Last edited by Bullbear; 05-27-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Im not a defender of the media in general. Most of it is trash. But the fact that Fox news, a conservative outlet, rules the ratings, just shows most americans are on the "right side" of things.
Just because people watch it doesn't mean they agree with it. Remember that people love watching racing accidents and train wrecks, too.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:01 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Quote:
So sorry Randall, you cant reward illegal parents for bad behavior. They bring their kids in and then hide out until they are older. The plan is that we will we "feel sorry" enough so they are exempted. Then, what happens when the former kids bring their relatives in - including the illegal parents - for a basically permanent stay? Its what known as going thru the backdoor.

And yea, I dont care how "good" they are. That has NOTHING to do with anything. Besides, by "spoiled american kids" no doubt you mean (primarily) wealthy white kids. Awwwwww

I would be most happy if we could get rid of all social programs. I didnt know there were rich people living off food stamps and getting free healthcare. Please provide some specific programs that only benefit or are designed only for freeloading by corporations and the wealthy.

Indeed, numbers and actual facts are so intimidating and annoying, arent they? Esp compared to balderdash rhetoric and boohoo victimhood! Sorry, Ill try and include more posts about "my feelings"...
You skipped the 800 billion dollar bailout I see Missed that part in the news? The contracts to companies in Iraq? What about tax havens for businesses where they don't pay ANY tax in some cases? All forms of WELFARE. What about the developer in Gwinnett that got twice as much as he paid for some land from the school system only after a few months? Sounds like welfare to me. My apologies if you were not aware of those, entirely possible. I understand how easy it is to blame the poor for our problems, yeah that Food Stamp budget is why we have this multi-trillion dollar deficit.

See you do it in every thread, instead of sticking to the topic you change topics when you get owned.

Sorry you are not understanding this is a grey issue for the kids. The parents, yes they should be punished, not sure how. The kids? How can you blame them for what the parents did? Its not like the parents brought them here to be detrimental to society, they want a better life and in many cases these kids are great kids.

Maybe you should read up on European illegal immigration here in the 1800s and early 1900s.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 PM

285 posts, read 876,429 times
Quote:

You dont have to like it. You dont have to understand it. You can even believe that some "great awakening" is coming when everyone will become "enlightened" to your POV. But ultimately the truth is that you are just on the outside, looking in.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." -Henry Mencken

Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,805 times
Quote:
And I respect your opinion even less. In fact, I dont respect anything about you. I just believe you are entitled to your opinion, just like people are permitted to believe in alien space visitors and 9/11 conspiracy theories. Whatever dude.

You dont have to like it. You dont have to understand it. You can even believe that some "great awakening" is coming when everyone will become "enlightened" to your POC. But ultimately the truth is that you are just on the outside, looking in.
It shows most Americans who watch cable TV news are conservatives. That is true but it is not a reflection on America as a whole at all. Just look at the numbers. O'Reilly, who you champion, gets ~3-3.5M viewers a night. So around 1 percent of the population of the country. Ohhhhhhhhh a whole percent. Fox is more popular than MSNBC or CNN but that is like saying Smallpox is more popular than Ebola. Well sure, but none of them are all that popular. People who pay attention to cable news (and this goes for the Internet and talk radio too) think it is more influential and important than it really is.

Fox News dominates July ratings; Bill O’Reilly again tops — and Nancy Grace makes impressive gains – The TV Guy – Orlando Sentinel

Many people agree with my point of view. That is why we have a Democratic President and Senate majority. I may be "on the outside looking in" in rural flyover America. But in New York, LA, SF, Chicago, etc...even ITP Atlanta my views are the majority by a wide margin.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
You skipped the 800 billion dollar bailout I see Missed that part in the news? The contracts to companies in Iraq? What about tax havens for businesses where they don't pay ANY tax in some cases? All forms of WELFARE. What about the developer in Gwinnett that got twice as much as he paid for some land from the school system only after a few months? Sounds like welfare to me. My apologies if you were not aware of those, entirely possible. I understand how easy it is to blame the poor for our problems, yeah that Food Stamp budget is why we have this multi-trillion dollar deficit.

See you do it in every thread, instead of sticking to the topic you change topics when you get owned.

Sorry you are not understanding this is a grey issue for the kids. The parents, yes they should be punished, not sure how. The kids? How can you blame them for what the parents did? Its not like the parents brought them here to be detrimental to society, they want a better life and in many cases these kids are great kids.

Maybe you should read up on European illegal immigration here in the 1800s and early 1900s.
In case you missed it, hoss, the $800 billion was to prevent the collapse of the entire US financial system. But maybe you had a better idea?

I didnt like it either, but it sure wasnt some gratuitous handout like went to the incompetent gounion teat suckers at GM and Chrysler (from whom I will never, ever CONSIDER buying a car).

Sure there was GOVT waste in Iraq. Whats freaking new? Anytime the govt gets in the middle of ANYTHING it screws it up and wastes boatloads of cash. Its exactly why the US social welfare system is such a total disaster.

Most businesses that dont pay tax do so through clever accounting and other legal financial methods. Blame the complex GOVT tax system. It tries to drive certain behaviors by rewarding activities (ie capital investment) considered desirable. Yet again, the govt screws it up- this time because they think they can effect certain "good" behaviors more so than natural human tendencies.

I dont know about the Gwinnett situation, but if there was gross govt corruption in that horribly run minority majority county, it sure wouldnt surprise me...

I dont blame the illegal kids, really. But whom to blame is not the issue. Its about what makes common sense and is sustainable. Your proposals are not either.

Strange how you blanket claim about illegals in "many cases these kids are great kids" while disparaging your own fellow americans as spoiled (and not worthy). Bitter much Randall?

You "own me", do you Randy? I sorry massa, I didnt mean to upset you with my talkback....

Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Quote:
Quite easily. I am not at all opposed to LEGAL immigration.
Ayn Rand pretty clearly thinks that just about all immigration ought to be legal. It seems odd, if this is your position, to be railing so hard against illegal immigrants. Seems like the first thing you'd want to do would be to give them legal status.

Quote:
Also, if there were no social programs for poor and indigent illegals, which many are and qualify for (ie, free healthcare, food stamps, etc), then there would be much less outcry about the financial abuse. Ayn Rand was very, very much opposed to these kinds of redistributive programs.

Of course, there would probably also be a lot fewer illegals as the govt teat would be not nearly as juicy to suckle from.
Illegal immigrants typically don't qualify for nor receive non-emergency welfare, despite what the chain letters might tell you.

It's kind of surprising to think that your adamant opinions on this issue arise from this one misconception.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Many people agree with my point of view. That is why we have a Democratic President and Senate majority. I may be "on the outside looking in" in rural flyover America. But in New York, LA, SF, Chicago, etc...even ITP Atlanta my views are the majority by a wide margin.
Dream on pal. The dems would have taken more of a beating in the Senate had there been more Sens up for reelection. Dems got creamed in the House. Poor widdle Ms Pelosi

Ahh, the great contention: that the wise, educated and erudite are all liberal leaning types, while uneducated illiterate dullards reside in the virtual wasteland that is middle america. Ive heard it all before and its just utter and complete nonsense. Try taking a poll among residents of Buckhead proper. See what the ratios are.

BHO hasnt won reelection yet there, guy. You can have LA and SF. And you have no numbers that support ITP (where I live AND grew up) is majority dem, now do you, big 'un?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Ayn Rand pretty clearly thinks that just about all immigration ought to be legal.
Simply wrong.

Regardless, I dont follow any one person or philosophy blindly or utterly and completely. Im a tad more of an independent thinker than that. So you can stop now.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Guys, you are starting to make no sense at all. I think you should have a Beer Summit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta