U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,236,846 times
I feel that the thought processes of those who would rather do away with the supposed "frivolous lawsuits/tort reform" are racing head-to-head with the "laissez faire/private arbitration/no government" crowd for the title of the most insane ideas award. Unfortunately it doesn't matter whoever wins because either way we Americans are screwed.

I can't believe how deeply intermingled the ideas of these conservative corporate think tanks are with our culture. It's like some of our fellow Georgians and Americans are begging for a return to the days of total feudalism & oligarchic rule.

That's a pretty good New York Times article I read. Thanks for posting the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Sadly, this is the exact sort of country a lot of the people in the "let's stop the frivolous lawsuits" camp want and advocate for. It is that vigilante fantasy of "taking justice into their own hands" that so many Americans partake in. Got a problem with your neighbor? Don't take them to court, shoot their house up. Don't like the laws a congressman makes? Don't try to get yourself or someone else elected, just shoot them in the face. The Courts are an essential part of keeping order in our country and without them we would be in full on anarchy within a matter of months. Just beyond disgusting if you ask me.

But this extends to more than just making hard for someone to sue. Nicholas Kristof had a great piece in the New York Times last week that took on all of the stances those types advocate for and matched them up with the country in the world right now most aligned with those ideals. What country was it? The UK, Switzerland, Germany? Nope, it was Pakistan. My suggestion, they should all move to Pakistan. It would be a paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM

14,263 posts, read 8,760,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I feel that the thought processes of those who would rather do away with the supposed "frivolous lawsuits/tort reform" are racing head-to-head with the "laissez faire/private arbitration/no government" crowd for the title of the most insane ideas award. Unfortunately it doesn't matter whoever wins because either way we Americans are screwed.
I don't like to call anybody insane.

However, these things typically come down to whose ox is being gored. The people and the companies who holler about frivolous lawsuits are often the first ones to go to racing to the courthouse when their toes are getting stepped on. They probably won't like it when they find out they've just reformed themselves out of a remedy.

It's sort of like the old joke about "Everybody else on this road but me is either driving too fast or too slow -- what a bunch of idiots!"

Old 06-15-2011, 03:58 AM

2,762 posts, read 2,236,846 times
Great comment. I was blowing off a little extra steam, I guess.

Hyperbole aside, I really wish though that saner heads would prevail and people of great influence & a keen sense of responsibility would figure out a way to reform the system(if it needs any to begin with) without destroying it.

The U.S. founding fathers invested waaay too much in trying to make this thing work. It would be a crying shame if some future generation like ours goes around and jacks up the whole country just to satisfy some short term mis-guided passion(s).

Just my simple little thoughts on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't like to call anybody insane.

However, these things typically come down to whose ox is being gored. The people and the companies who holler about frivolous lawsuits are often the first ones to go to racing to the courthouse when their toes are getting stepped on. They probably won't like it when they find out they've just reformed themselves out of a remedy.

It's sort of like the old joke about "Everybody else on this road but me is either driving too fast or too slow -- what a bunch of idiots!"

Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 AM

14,263 posts, read 8,760,528 times
Quote:
The U.S. founding fathers invested waaay too much in trying to make this thing work. It would be a crying shame if some future generation like ours goes around and jacks up the whole country just to satisfy some short term mis-guided passion(s).
Well said, Snake. The Founding Fathers worked their butts off to guarantee that Americans would have the right to go to court and have their cases decided by the jury. It's one of the most basic things in the Constitution.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM

73 posts, read 91,510 times
Have the police released any other info about this over the past year?

Old 06-09-2012, 02:46 PM

5,209 posts, read 2,797,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Commando View Post
Have the police released any other info about this over the past year?
WHy would they do that?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 752,193 times
Quote:

I can't believe how deeply intermingled the ideas of these conservative corporate think tanks are with our culture. It's like some of our fellow Georgians and Americans are begging for a return to the days of total feudalism & oligarchic rule.

That's a pretty good New York Times article I read. Thanks for posting the link.
So people should be able to sue for frivolous things? Isn't that a bit greedy?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,604,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
So people should be able to sue for frivolous things? Isn't that a bit greedy?
Sure, you should be able to sue for just about anything. That doesn't mean you'll win or even come close, but its up to a judge and/or jury to determine what is "frivolous."

For example, about a year and a half ago, I got hit lightly by a truck while walking across the street. I thought I had just sprained my ankle pretty bad and told the driver not to worry about it since it was a work vehicle and I didn't want to get him in any trouble. Now on the surface that doesn't really sound like anything to sue over, except that in reality it was broken pretty bad, and over a year and a half later I'm still in physical therapy and can't really run (and I used to be a professional firefighter, so I'm not a slouch).

Another thing that people cite all the time when on the subject of "frivolous" lawsuits, is the woman who sued McDonald's for her coffee being too hot.

In reality, the 79 year old woman suffered 3rd degree burns to her groin and was in the hospital for 8 days while undergoing skin grafts (during which time she lost 20 pounds). She sought $20,000 from McDonald's for her current and expected medical bills and it was only after McDonald's refused that that litigation was pursued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta