Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:05 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not much part of the scene these days, so I don't get those. But I think that indicates a bit of a problem, that one would have to be plugged in to know what is going on at any given time. There is no place with great resident DJs that you know is going to be reliable and good any Friday or Saturday night that you happen to decide to drop by.

It's also difficult to know what kind of scene which event is going to be part of. For example, if I showed up at the event pictured above, I clearly would not fit in.
It isn't about the place a much as following the local djs. Some place like MJQ and quad will likely have something but you usually have to follow the local dj and promoters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
It isn't about the place a much as following the local djs. Some place like MJQ and quad will likely have something but you usually have to follow the local dj and promoters.
Yeah it seems like whichever place has the famous dj playing is always the one that's packed out that particular week.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Don't you think this is indicative of a problem with the scene? I don't know, maybe things have changed over the years, but it used to be that clubs would retain the best local DJ talent as residents. So you knew, every Saturday night, DJ whoever spins here, and every Friday night, this DJ spins there.

Things seem a little more schizophrenic here which makes having a good time a little bit inconsistent. Maybe Atlanta has always been this way? I don't know, but I do know we have never been known to have an extraordinarily strong dance music scene, even falling behind places like Charlotte, Nashville, and of course Orlando.

I guess that's just the way it is, no sense complaining about it. But don't you think that it would be welcome change if we had a club that was dedicated to great dance music and you always knew that it would be consistently great at least one night of the week?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Bupie I also get a number of emails but where are you getting emails for dance music (besides the hip hop we have been talking about and Opera)?
So many on facebook.

Start with Vertigo Entertainment | (Atlanta VIP Nightlife) | Facebook

and ATL Nightlife | Facebook

Liquified | Facebook

Liquified | Facebook

for more mainstream and yuppie dance stuff.

for more underground and hipsterish start with

Atlanta Bass Wars | Facebook

Cyberaver Atl | Facebook

RaveATL - Info | Facebook

Cobra Corps | Facebook

DigitalHorizons Atl | Facebook

Household Management | Facebook

Add those to start and just go from there with liking local djs and and bars and your event invites will blow up.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
I'm glad Cyberaver is still around...I didn't even know Jason was still doing it (I assume he's still the promoter, but maybe he handed it off to someone else).

He's done the best events I've ever attended in Atlanta, and the fact that I see he's brining in Kimball Collins next weekend is immediate cred.

That is definitely my kind of scene. The others I have to check out and decide if I'd be into their vibes.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Don't you think this is indicative of a problem with the scene? I don't know, maybe things have changed over the years, but it used to be that clubs would retain the best local DJ talent as residents. So you knew, every Saturday night, DJ whoever spins here, and every Friday night, this DJ spins there.

Things seem a little more schizophrenic here which makes having a good time a little bit inconsistent. Maybe Atlanta has always been this way? I don't know, but I do know we have never been known to have an extraordinarily strong dance music scene, even falling behind places like Charlotte, Nashville, and of course Orlando.

I guess that's just the way it is, no sense complaining about it. But don't you think that it would be welcome change if we had a club that was dedicated to great dance music and you always knew that it would be consistently great at least one night of the week?
That happens more on a monthly basis. Parties like F*ck Yesss at the Masquerade and Sloppy Second at MJQ are an example.

I think it is a bit picky to say Atlanta has a bad scene because it is not exactly a particular way. Part of the reason you may not have what you want is because once Djs get their name around town they start getting offers to play at other places, hence why I said it is better to just follow the local djs then one particular club.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Here is a pic from Sundays event at Opera All black Affair hosted by Belvader Vodka and Hennessay Jaguar As you can see not one white person insight this was a event that was for the entire Gay community to attend..
Why did it turn out that way? Did whites just choose not to attend?

By the way, there sure are a lot of gay black guys these days.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM

221 posts, read 431,258 times
Quote:

have you been to Charlotte lately? The nightlife there is DEAD!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,318 times
Thanks Buppie, Ill check out the underground stuff. I am linked to all the mainstream stuff, but like I said before if you are oing to all the liquified events- yeah you are seeing some awesome music, but paying $20+ every week just to get in starts to add up.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,880 times
Quote:
I'm glad Cyberaver is still around...I didn't even know Jason was still doing it (I assume he's still the promoter, but maybe he handed it off to someone else).

He's done the best events I've ever attended in Atlanta, and the fact that I see he's brining in Kimball Collins next weekend is immediate cred.

That is definitely my kind of scene. The others I have to check out and decide if I'd be into their vibes.
I dont think your opinion on nightlife holds any value since you do not know what is going on in the nightlife here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta