U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,155,931 times
Check this AJC Politifact article out:

PolitiFact Georgia | Some farm workers do earn high wages, but not all do

It seems that the rumors of workers potentially being able to earn from $12 to $18 picking crops is somewhat of a stretch. Maybe a person can earn that operating the machinery, but they definitely won't be able to earn that simply picking crops from dawn 'til dusk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 AM

2,802 posts, read 2,190,603 times
Most probationers who spent their whole lives in the city would be lucky to make $5/hour when they're first starting out. "Unskilled" isn't an extremely accurate name for these jobs.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 AM

2,036 posts, read 2,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Most probationers who spent their whole lives in the city would be lucky to make $5/hour when they're first starting out. "Unskilled" isn't an extremely accurate name for these jobs.
Precisely. Harvesting fruits and veggies in that volume requires a certain skill set that it can take years to develop if one want to make a lot of money. People are often paid by the amount of produce they harvest, and unless you're experienced it takes a while to learn how to pick a high amount. I've never worked in the fields for pay, but certainly have relatives that have and I've heard them describe how it must be done. Not easy and definitely not unskilled.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 AM

13,778 posts, read 8,159,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Americans have too much pride to get out there and slave in that sun all day for low wages.
But surely there's more pride to be had in working for a living than in sitting around waiting for a government check?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Box

381 posts, read 265,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
But surely there's more pride to be had in working for a living than in sitting around waiting for a government check?

I dont think anyone who would work full time, doing back breaking labor for minimum pay, and STILL falling below the poverty line would be proud.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It seems that the rumors of workers potentially being able to earn from $12 to $18 picking crops is somewhat of a stretch. Maybe a person can earn that operating the machinery, but they definitely won't be able to earn that simply picking crops from dawn 'til dusk.
There's no denying that harvesting crops is very hard work. However, it is something that many generations of Georgians (white, black and Hispanic) have done. I have done it myself.

We have to remember, though, that there's still a lot of outdoor, manual labor that has to be done to keep our world going. Who built the MARTA system? Who built Buford Dam and Lake Lanier? The interstates and the thousands miles of roads we drive on? Our homes and schools and hospitals? Who's carrying out the the massive work to rebuild our sewer system? And that only scratches the surface.

Starting out as an unskilled laborer in doesn't pay much money. But you are working and contributing to your society. You're also building skills and building your resume. You're demonstrating initiative and dependability. You also learn language, some lessons about dealing with others and things about how business works. I'm not hiring people now but I have in the past, and I can guarantee that those qualities counted as major pluses in my book.

And people do rise up. I'm not saying that everybody who spends a season or two on the the farm is moving into the executive suite. However, I do know of many cases where workers who started at the bottom learned to operate equipment, how to supervise and many other critical skills. And their wages and status went up.

We should not forget how quickly a middle class can arise. History has repeatedly shown that that can happen in a generation or so. Maybe even less with some nurturing and good luck. It has happened many times in the U.S., and you can see it happening in countries all over the world this very minute.

But in my opinion, those changes cannot happen if people are not willing to work. They won't happen if people say, "Oh, it doesn't pay enough for me to bother, let somebody else take care of it." They won't happen if people decide it's easier to let their fellow citizens take care of them via government checks.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I dont think anyone who would work full time, doing back breaking labor for minimum pay, and STILL falling below the poverty line would be proud.
Do you think there's more pride to be had in not working and drawing a government check (or checks)?

Old 06-19-2011, 01:27 PM

Your commentary neglects some very important details behind how Atlanta was built yesterday and how it's being built today and the factors that decidely forced many American citizens out of the skilled trades.

Most if not all of the construction that has made Atlanta what it is was drawned up by educated Architects and put together by Civil Engineers. Then when it came time for labor to do their job it was skilled craftsmen like the masonry workers, plumbers, and carpenters who belonged to unions and guilds who were able to come together and command a hefty price for their work. My grandfather was a masonry craftsman and even during the Jim Crow days he was able to make a great salary due to the power of his guild.

It used to be that being a skilled craftsman was a postion of great respect until until neoliberalism, NAFTA, and their kool-aid drinkin' supporters decided that cheap non-unionized labor was the way to go. Now bricklayers can be hired on the cheap from Mexico, with no medical or retirement benefits.

My Uncle was a masonry craftsman. He had no high school diploma, but he was very good at his craft. Slowly but surely, his work was being priced downward because of illegal labor. Next thing you know he was out of work and pretty much homeless. And this was before the year 2000, mind you.

To this day I do not know where he is or if he's still alive. When looking at those poor outcomes, one might as well sit on their butts and collect unemployment. Such is the price of the "free market" I supposed.

I would also add that our Middle class had only arisen as fast as it did because of the power of the union & the guild system, not to mention a progressive taxation system that forced the extreme wealthy to invest their money into building America up or risk losing it to Uncle Sam. Take those aforementioned factors out of the picture, and well...you get America as it currently stands.

The U.S.A. it seems, is the only first world western industrial nation that insanely yearns for third world status. How unfortunate that so many "Joe Sixpacks" have been fooled by talk radio into bashing the union system & progressive taxation at every opportunity.

Talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's no denying that harvesting crops is very hard work. However, it is something that many generations of Georgians (white, black and Hispanic) have done. I have done it myself.

We have to remember, though, that there's still a lot of outdoor, manual labor that has to be done to keep our world going. Who built the MARTA system? Who built Buford Dam and Lake Lanier? The interstates and the thousands miles of roads we drive on? Our homes and schools and hospitals? Who's carrying out the the massive work to rebuild our sewer system? And that only scratches the surface.

Starting out as an unskilled laborer in doesn't pay much money. But you are working and contributing to your society. You're also building skills and building your resume. You're demonstrating initiative and dependability. You also learn language, some lessons about dealing with others and things about how business works. I'm not hiring people now but I have in the past, and I can guarantee that those qualities counted as major pluses in my book.

And people do rise up. I'm not saying that everybody who spends a season or two on the the farm is moving into the executive suite. However, I do know of many cases where workers who started at the bottom learned to operate equipment, how to supervise and many other critical skills. And their wages and status went up.

We should not forget how quickly a middle class can arise. History has repeatedly shown that that can happen in a generation or so. Maybe even less with some nurturing and good luck. It has happened many times in the U.S., and you can see it happening in countries all over the world this very minute.

But in my opinion, those changes cannot happen if people are not willing to work. They won't happen if people say, "Oh, it doesn't pay enough for me to bother, let somebody else take care of it." They won't happen if people decide it's easier to let their fellow citizens take care of them via government checks.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 06-19-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,805,565 times
I suspect that those who dislike Hispanics don't really know much about them. I have worked with them both here in the US of A and in various of their home countries. They are diligent, hard working people most have a good sense of humor (of course you'd need to understand Spanish to figure that one out) and will gladly do jobs that most gringos don't want.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 PM

I have to say though, in looking at the clip on this link:

Sonny Perdue and fear that

It seems though that "Mr. Charlie" done finally found a way to get us wayward black folk back on that plantation!!!

Ain't that some bullcrap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta