U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM

1,243 posts, read 902,045 times
If they cared and respected the laws of the county they are squatting in, then they would do it legally.

Who ever thought they day would come in this county that an illegal would get discounted tuition just for being here illegal. No matter what anyones argument is, people dont seem to care about the main issue. People are here ILLEGALLY. Why does that not mean anything anymore. Why does so much time, effort and money go out to fight for people who commit crimes coming here ILLEGALLY and I cant get a dime because Im just middle class. The dream act, its BS. Get a student visa. Come here legally. Its that simple.

With the protesters, its one thing to hide within the community, but since they are here illegally, they dont have all the rights we Americans have! Its sickening to see so many people fall for this immigration scam. Mexico promotes them coming here. Mexico is suing us because of this law. WAKE UP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:52 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,659,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
If they cared and respected the laws of the county they are squatting in, then they would do it legally.

Who ever thought they day would come in this county that an illegal would get discounted tuition just for being here illegal. No matter what anyones argument is, people dont seem to care about the main issue. People are here ILLEGALLY. Why does that not mean anything anymore. Why does so much time, effort and money go out to fight for people who commit crimes coming here ILLEGALLY and I cant get a dime because Im just middle class. The dream act, its BS. Get a student visa. Come here legally. Its that simple.

With the protesters, its one thing to hide within the community, but since they are here illegally, they dont have all the rights we Americans have! Its sickening to see so many people fall for this immigration scam. Mexico promotes them coming here. Mexico is suing us because of this law. WAKE UP!

I understand your frustrations. I honestly do. But I'm going to tell you something that will give you a picture of what is going on in America, right now, everyday and it won't stop.

In about an hour, you, me and millions of people are going to get off our hinds and go to:

1. Dinner
2. Movies
3. A friend's house, etc.
4. Go in our garage/basement to continue with our hobbies
5. Dodge bill collectors/creditors
6. Go to the gym/park etc
7. Get drunk (pick your poison)
8. Make love to our wives/Gfs etc
9. Let's not forget SHOPPING!!

And the whole illegal immigration thing we saw on the news will be a non issue, till the news makes it an issue again. We're lucky if it makes it to the dinner table as a topic tonight.

If it was so important, citizens who strongly feel opposed to illegal immigration, or for the new law, would be protesting/canvassing, doing whatever it takes to make sure it gets resolved. I don't see it happening.

This thing will linger, and people will keep talking about it for years to come. If it can be solved, great. However, most Americans are not losing sleep over the issue, as much as people make it out to be. I hope I'm wrong.

I think people are so consumed with their lives that this is one of the pressing issues, that end up being a non-issue. Again, we don't disagree.

I'm just letting you see how attitudes are in regards to this issue. People benefit from it more than anything else. I doubt it will stop.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 PM

1,243 posts, read 902,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I understand your frustrations. I honestly do. But I'm going to tell you something that will give you a picture of what is going on in America, right now, everyday and it won't stop.

In about an hour, you, me and millions of people are going to get off our hinds and go to:

1. Dinner
2. Movies

And the whole illegal immigration thing we saw on the news will be a non issue, till the news makes it an issue again. We're lucky if it makes it to the dinner table as a topic tonight.

If it was so important, citizens who strongly feel opposed to illegal immigration, or for the new law, would be protesting/canvassing, doing whatever it takes to make sure it gets resolved. I don't see it happening.

This thing will linger, and people will keep talking about it for years to come. If it can be solved, great. However, most Americans are not losing sleep over the issue, as much as people make it out to be. I hope I'm wrong.

I think people are so consumed with their lives that this is one of the pressing issues, that end up being a non-issue. Again, we don't disagree.

I'm just letting you see how attitudes are in regards to this issue. People benefit from it more than anything else. I doubt it will stop.
Well said.

I agree as well. There are actually many more larger issues that need to be address. I love healthy debates, I bring issues like this to the dinner table often. The kids love it!

More importantly then this issue, the one that I am deeply concerned is our upcoming presidential elections. Im encouraging any and every person educate themselves on the candidates. I think 2012 elections are going to be brutal. If there was ever an election to participate in, this shall be it!
--nuff said on that!

Option 7 8 & 9 sound good this evening!

Cheers

Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,659,564 times
Quote:
Well said.

I agree as well. There are actually many more larger issues that need to be address. I love healthy debates, I bring issues like this to the dinner table often. The kids love it!

More importantly then this issue, the one that I am deeply concerned is our upcoming presidential elections. Im encouraging any and every person educate themselves on the candidates. I think 2012 elections are going to be brutal. If there was ever an election to participate in, this shall be it!
--nuff said on that!

Option 7 8 & 9 sound good this evening!

Cheers
Cheers to you too, my friend. I'm with you on 7, 8 and 9.

The funny thing is, the candidates will dance around it. It never fails. Next, election I'm buying every politician ballet shoes.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,218,170 times
It's not an immigrant law. It's a law against criminals. I worked my butt off to come here legally.. DEPORT all of them!
Finally someone is doing something...
While I am a liberal myself, I am disgusted by so-called "liberals" who will put illegals first and won't give a **** about legal immigrants or Americans. Let's just tell it like it is.

Good for Georgia.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Box

381 posts, read 304,080 times
Quote:

I dont think these kids being brought here at 10 years old had a choice to do it legally.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM

449 posts, read 553,841 times
I'm not against illegals and would like to see every law abiding illegal immigrant gain citizenship or given the right to work legally and pay taxes.

Illegals working under the table takes away from potential tax dollars being made. I know many citizens cheat on their taxes too, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I welcome any illegal alien that wants to work jobs that lazy Americans are too proud to work, but I'd like to see it done right.

Of course illegals won't take the steps towards filing paperwork out of fear of being deported, but I wish there was some type of policy to welcome them if they prove that they have the will to work or potential employment.

Of course, much of the blame is on the employers that pay them on the low too

Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM

4,679 posts, read 2,492,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Unemployment insurance is not getting paid "not to work."

SMH...
Um, yeah it is. If you were working, you wouldn't be getting that check. That GOVERNMENT CHECK you talk about.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,204,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Um, yeah it is. If you were working, you wouldn't be getting that check. That GOVERNMENT CHECK you talk about.
If you're working part time, the unemployment check you get is prorated against the amount you are making.

I think Georgia requires you to report anything over $50 earned each week, and anything above $50 is directly deducted from your benefits check. Since max benefits in GA are $355/week before taxes, it doesn't take much to offset the entire check.

I'm not sure if part-time work can be used to extend your UI payoff time or not. If you work enough to make up for 1/2 of the UI check, will your payments last for twice as long?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:54 PM

2,793 posts, read 2,299,258 times
Who knows?

In the next 50 to 100 years this whole issue of "illegal immigration" will likely be a moot point. Economies of the world will be totally interdependent, and people will be able move to any part of the planet earth and function in a normal interconnected way without restriction.

The notion of national boundaries, borders, and race will be quaint yet totally archaic concepts. The United States of America, Canada, and the United Mexican States as they are now may not even exist at that point.

Our great great grandchildren will look back at this time period and wonder how we Americans in our current era could've ever been so backwards & regressive-minded.

At least that's what I am foreseeing.

Don't me hold to this vision, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

1. Dinner
2. Movies

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta