Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you sad the NHL Atlanta Thrashers departed for Canada?
Yes, I hoped they would remain here 28 48.28%
No, I don't care that they left 30 51.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,990,938 times

Advertisements

http://blog.cornerstorkbabygifts.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/baby-crying.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I was not emotionally invested in the Thrashers, but I am emotionally invested in Atlanta and I am sorry the Thrashers left Atlanta. I hate it for their fans and I think it will have a negative impact on Atlanta's reputation as a pro sports town. It is not as big a deal as if something happened to the Braves, Falcons or Hawks, but it does stink.
This is exactly how I feel about the situation.

Well said.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I suppose the answer to this is reflected in the thread. There is not one thread noting the departure of the Atlanta Thrashers to Canada.
As a Minnesota native, I'm always glad to see hockey spread, and I'm sad to see the Trashers go. Just more of the same from the NHL, tho.

Why does it seem like the owners are being rewarded for crapping all over the Atlanta fan base?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,231,125 times
What is rather interesting about this ordeal is how much apathy Atlanta showed the Thrashers. I don't see this is as a bad thing. It is what it is. People were not interested and there is nothing wrong with that. Even the people who endorsed the Thrashers on this thread admitted they didn't follow the team or like hockey. The article confirms that

"In Atlanta, there was little reaction other than a tearful news conference held by co-owner Michael Gearon."

Old 06-01-2011, 01:57 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,922,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What is rather interesting about this ordeal is how much apathy Atlanta showed the Thrashers. I don't see this is as a bad thing. It is what it is. People were not interested and there is nothing wrong with that. Even the people who endorsed the Thrashers on this thread admitted they didn't follow the team or like hockey. The article confirms that

"In Atlanta, there was little reaction other than a tearful news conference held by co-owner Michael Gearon."
The whole reason behind this though is pretty clear.

1. The Thrashers were owned by a shadowy group called Atlanta Spirit rather than a individual. Their interaction with the public was pretty much limited to press releases from no one individual.

2. Atlanta Spirit either was inept or just plain didn't care about doing things to get people in to liking hockey in Atlanta. They always came off as if the public had a problem if it didn't get behind their team. Never mind that they only once made an attempt at fielding a competitive team or barely had any promotions that lowered the cost of seeing a game.

Plus, there is the larger issue of regional preference and team allegiance.

Metro Atlanta has no shortage of Northerners (or even Canadians), and probably about 40% (or more) of the total Metro population is from either Northeast or Midwest. So there is no shortage of people who like hockey here, rather those people are likely have a favorite team they are avid fans of rather than the Thrashers.

Secondly, there are four seasons in the South: Football season, baseball season, basketball season, and Christmas (also known as Football Bowl/Playoff Season). Every other sport takes a back seat to coverage, attendance, and just plain general interest. Hockey in the Southeast, just from my own observation, gets just about as much attention as rugby or cricket. Hell, even tennis and soccer are way more popular than hockey in Metro Atlanta.

If you combine those factors with an ownership who seemed to not want to take the necessary steps to increase interest in the sport, it was only a matter of time sadly.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,964,278 times
We still have the Gwinnett Gladiators

Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 PM

562 posts, read 1,785,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The whole reason behind this though is pretty clear.

I disagree with some of this...

1. The Thrashers were owned by a shadowy group called Atlanta Spirit rather than a individual. Their interaction with the public was pretty much limited to press releases from no one individual.
Doesnt seem to affect the Hawks even though they are owned by the Spirit

2. Atlanta Spirit either was inept or just plain didn't care about doing things to get people in to liking hockey in Atlanta. They always came off as if the public had a problem if it didn't get behind their team. Never mind that they only once made an attempt at fielding a competitive team or barely had any promotions that lowered the cost of seeing a game.

Disagree the Thrashers were at least decent in the last couple of year, and I went to 4 games in the last 3 years and never paid for a ticket or paid very little ( I am not a fan, but Ill admit that going to a game is fun, more so than baseball).

Plus, there is the larger issue of regional preference and team allegiance.

Metro Atlanta has no shortage of Northerners (or even Canadians), and probably about 40% (or more) of the total Metro population is from either Northeast or Midwest. So there is no shortage of people who like hockey here, rather those people are likely have a favorite team they are avid fans of rather than the Thrashers.

Secondly, there are four seasons in the South: Football season, baseball season, basketball season, and Christmas (also known as Football Bowl/Playoff Season). Every other sport takes a back seat to coverage, attendance, and just plain general interest. Hockey in the Southeast, just from my own observation, gets just about as much attention as rugby or cricket. Hell, even tennis and soccer are way more popular than hockey in Metro Atlanta.

If you combine those factors with an ownership who seemed to not want to take the necessary steps to increase interest in the sport, it was only a matter of time sadly.
I do agree with the above statement with Hockey in general, even in the NE. Even though the Blackhawks won the championship last year? My friends said it was still possible to get tickets the day of in Chicago. You wouldnt have that in football. It comes down to hockey having 2 fundamental problems 1) It overlaps with other sports, otherwise people would probably watch it a lot more 2) Kids dont play it as much as there just arent parks set up for hockey. That means to play it you need nets (goals), sticks, and a ball or puck and/or ice skates and then protective equipment (street hockey vs ice hockey). For most other sports stuff is set up, you can go to any park to play tennis, basketball, and pretty much anywhere for football, baseball and soccer.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,533,986 times
This is news???? When did this become official?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 PM

349 posts, read 779,454 times
Such a shame. Another black eye for pro sports in Atlanta. I hope we get to atleast keep the name.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,404,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I was not emotionally invested in the Thrashers, but I am emotionally invested in Atlanta and I am sorry the Thrashers left Atlanta. I hate it for their fans and I think it will have a negative impact on Atlanta's reputation as a pro sports town. It is not as big a deal as if something happened to the Braves, Falcons or Hawks, but it does stink.
Agreed. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
We still have the Gwinnett Gladiators
Who? Never heard of them.

Maybe they can become the Atlanta Gladiators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta