Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,146 times

Advertisements

Gun proposal reactions vary among Georgia congressmen | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Because the Fourth District is heavily Democratic.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Because the Fourth District is heavily Democratic.
Yes, but . . .

FWIW, some of my liberal friends who live in this district are dying to primary Hank Johnson out of office. They think he's a total dope and that there are far better Democrats that could be a representative for their district.

I don't know the guy that well, but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen. Having said that, I wouldn't be able to vote for anyone wanting to join the current Republican Party in the House in DC. Way too extreme, way too unwilling to compromise on any number of issues. So I can see why some Dekalb Democrats feel like they have no good choices right now.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
An electric toaster could get elected in the Fourth District if it were a Democrat. Actually, I might prefer it over Hank Johnson.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
I saw the NRA ad as well, and while it was beyond the pale for involving the Obama girls, after seeing it I didn't think to myself, that's racist. I think Hank Johnson was over-thinking a bit, unless of course you want to look at it from the standpoint that this is just another example of disrespecting the first black President by using his children, which are off limits in politics. I'm reaching but I would surmise that Johnson said racism because it's one think to attack the President in an ad, but it is another to involve his family. Other Presidents didn't have their children used in attack ads, so why not extend that courtesy to this President?

This whole gun debate, and general opposition to Obama is just part of a bigger narrative that will never be explicitly said on the main stream media, so it's disguised in these wedge issues seemingly every month, whether it's gun control, health care, taxes, welfare reform, immigration etc etc. and that narrative/scare tactic is one that this President is trying to change America, do anyway with the things that essentially make being white, particularly a white male in the country an advantage. (Stay with me here) What some may see as leveling the playing field others see as taking away. If you're not that educated/highly skilled and haven't had any personal relationships with those outside your race and or culture, would you not be susceptible to such fear-based rhetoric? Generally speaking, the higher the education level and exposure to others different than yourself the less likely you are to "cling" to your race and or gender to advance in life. If I have my life in order, educated, live a comfortable life etc why would I care so much about who's in office? But if I'm not as fortunate I'm grabbing a hold of any little advantages I think I may have whether it's my race gender etc. The Democrats(the lesser of two evils, separate issue) have forever been cast as the party for minorities, and the hardcore conservatives have done a magnificent job of portraying them as the party that will take from you, the uninformed, undereducated blue collar white worker, and give to the lazy welfare queens(thanks reagan) and illegals with their anchor babies. And while this same rhetoric has been enough for people to get up and vote against the Dem's, it really didn't get people's blood boiling like Obama. You have to understand, while there have been other Democratic Presidents people didn't like, they all have been white, so even when they were in office the Repub's could take solace in the fact, while they may make things better for minorities in the country it wouldn't go to far as to disrupt the "balance of power" from socioeconomic standpoint b/c while they sympathize with minorities they couldn't empathize. Now with Obama, he is literally the physical manifestation of all their fears. Not only is he a Dem, but he's black, someone who they felt could empathize with the struggles of minorities and they feared would make sweeping changes to the status quo. Which of course has not been the case, but none the less that's the fear hardcore right-winger preach each day.

This reminds of some Chris Rock jokes, where he told the audience "White people are mad, you hear them on 60 minutes saying 'We're losing the country, we're losing everything, affirmative action, illegal aliens' If yall losing, who's winning? it sure ain't us"

And other

"There's no white man in this room that would trade places with me ... and I'm rich! Not even a one-legged busboy, he would say 'No, I don't want to switch, I think I'm going to ride this whole white thing out and see where it takes me.' "

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 01-17-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I saw the NRA ad as well, and while it was beyond the pale for involving the Obama girls, after seeing it I didn't think to myself, that's racist. I think Hank Johnson was over-thinking a bit, unless of course you want to look at it from the standpoint that this is just another example of disrespecting the first black President by using his children, which are off limits in politics. I'm reaching but I would surmise that Johnson said racism because it's one think to attack the President in an ad, but it is another to involve his family. Other Presidents didn't have their children used in attack ads, so why not extend that courtesy to this President?

This whole gun debate, and general opposition to Obama is just part of a bigger narrative that will never be explicitly said on the main stream media, so it's disguised in these wedge issues seemingly every month, whether it's gun control, health care, taxes, welfare reform, immigration etc etc. and that narrative/scare tactic is one that this President is trying to change America, do anyway with the things that essentially make being white, particularly a white male in the country an advantage. (Stay with me here) What some may see as leveling the playing field others see as taking away. If you're not that educated/highly skilled and haven't had any personal relationships with those outside your race and or culture, would you not be susceptible to such fear-based rhetoric? Generally speaking, the higher the education level and exposure to others different than yourself the less likely you are to "cling" to your race and or gender to advance in life. If I have my life in order, educated, live a comfortable life etc why would I care so much about who's in office? But if I'm not as fortunate I'm grabbing a hold of any little advantages I think I may have whether it's my race gender etc. The Democrats(the lesser of two evils, separate issue) have forever been cast as the party for minorities, and the hardcore conservatives have done a magnificent job of portraying them as the party that will take from you, the uninformed, undereducated blue collar white worker, and give to the lazy welfare queens(thanks reagan) and illegals with their anchor babies. And while this same rhetoric has been enough for people to get up and vote against the Dem's, it really didn't get people's blood boiling like Obama. You have to understand, while there have been other Democratic Presidents people didn't like, they all have been white, so even when they were in office the Repub's could take solace in the fact, while they may make things better for minorities in the country it wouldn't go to far as to disrupt the "balance of power" from socioeconomic standpoint b/c while they sympathize with minorities they couldn't empathize. Now with Obama, he is literally the physical manifestation of all their fears. Not only is he a Dem, but he's black, someone who they felt could empathize with the struggles of minorities and they feared would make sweeping changes to the status quo. Which of course has not been the case, but none the less that's the fear hardcore right-winger preach each day.

This reminds of some Chris Rock jokes, where he told the audience "White people are mad, you hear them on 60 minutes saying 'We're losing the country, we're losing everything, affirmative action, illegal aliens' If yall losing, who's winning? it sure ain't us"

And other

"There's no white man in this room that would trade places with me ... and I'm rich! Not even a one-legged busboy, he would say 'No, I don't want to switch, I think I'm going to ride this whole white thing out and see where it takes me.' "
Perfect post.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
I appreciate it, just trying to contribute.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,983 times
Quote:

And other

Yep.

BTW there were nasty TeaParty like things said during Reagan's era but social media and the internet weren't as prominent so these nuggets of insults were not as well or widely documented.

Now though times are different...every crazy, laughable and insane TeaParty nuttiness has been well documented in social media and the internet via youtube, facebook, blogpost etc for our children and grandchildren and their children to laugh at and learn from.

Technology is a great leveler (another reason why conservatives hate it).

Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM

255 posts, read 464,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Yes, but . . .

FWIW, some of my liberal friends who live in this district are dying to primary Hank Johnson out of office. They think he's a total dope and that there are far better Democrats that could be a representative for their district.

I don't know the guy that well, but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen. Having said that, I wouldn't be able to vote for anyone wanting to join the current Republican Party in the House in DC. Way too extreme, way too unwilling to compromise on any number of issues. So I can see why some Dekalb Democrats feel like they have no good choices right now.
Well he is a total dope, but let's remember, he replaced Cynthia McKinney. I think it's pretty clear that the voters in that district have a different standard from....well, from people who have an IQ above room temperature. But while he is absolutely a total idiot, he's light years better than Cynthia....unless you want to give points for comedy.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 AM

255 posts, read 464,122 times
Quote:
I saw the NRA ad as well, and while it was beyond the pale for involving the Obama girls, after seeing it I didn't think to myself, that's racist. ............................... 'We're losing the country, we're losing everything, affirmative action, illegal aliens' If yall losing, who's winning? it sure ain't us"

And other

But all this says is what Conservatives have ALWAYS said. Rich people keep doing the things that keep them rich and poor people keep doing the things that keep them poor.

Chris Rock's comment is absolutely correct. White people are losing because property is continually taken away from them. Black people are NOT winning because giving them money is never going to raise their standard of living. Until the black community rejects single motherhood, promiscuity, drug use, alcoholism, government handouts and charity and embrace education, good money management, good decision making and responsibility for one's own actions, then they weill NEVER win, no matter how much is given to them.

The black people who have succeeded have not done so by government handouts. Like white people, they've done it through hard work, education, savings and family. That's universal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: