U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,901,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
It is used as a noun in the context of biology or sociology when referring to humans, not in general speech. (Which is why I made made the caveat to sociology professors.) When it is done outside a biology lab it is essentially used as a means to degrade or depersonalize such as when one is referring to crime suspects. How often do you hear someone say in casual conversation, "You see those males over there?" No, they say guys, or men or boys if they are of an appropriate age. However, for reasons I can't begin to fathom it has become commonplace to refer to women as "females" in a degrading and derogatory manner.
On that, I think we agree. As I'm sure you're aware, the terminology gets a lot worse than that in some circles. I don't get it, personally, unless it's something the person being described likes to hear (not unheard of). To me a woman is an angel.

More seriously, I was brought up to treat women with respect, and that doesn't mean using inappropriate labels. Unless an individual merits such usage, anyway, which is a pretty rare event for me. The use of such terms will probably come back to haunt the folks using them in some way, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 PM

449 posts, read 955,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Excuse me, but the word female is an adjective, not a noun. So are we talking about female chickens, hamsters, ducks? Are you talking about human WOMEN? Nothing irks me worse than a man who refers to adult women as females. Unless you're a sociology professor please use the proper terminology: WOMEN.

Hmmm, maybe they don't like men who refer to women as FEMALES. The term denotes a level of depersonalization and animosity toward women that most women find off-putting. It's very possible that those women picked up on that hostility in your manner, I certainly read it in your post.

As for the rest of your commentary, seriously? Are you really going with that, when even black men have acknowledged that the percentage of successful black men is woefully low? Do you know that those black women you refer to were successful college-educated black women? After all, water tends to seek its own level. The black women I know aren't interested in hanging out with a bunch of thugs and assorted low-lifes. In all likelihood the black women who are attracted to that are on the same level as those men. Let's not compare apples to oranges.
1. They know I'm referring to a human (lol), adult, female

2. I was responding to the poster saying "It's better for me to associate with a guy if you have the same credentials vs a black guy that's not on the same level"

My point is that you wouldn't want to associate with someone that doesn't have anything going for them, period.

Why does it have to be "vs a black guy" when (on average) most minority males in this country have lower success rates than their female counterparts?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 341 times
Default What we want

I am just curious to know what we want as black women want from white men.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:31 AM

789 posts, read 640,888 times
They say about the year 2050 America will be majority minority, and a lot of black people think that's a good thing. The way I see it, if white people are the minority in 2050 then black people (both parents black) will be almost obsolete! Maybe a lot of black Americans don't see that as a bad thing. African Americans are so short sited, only care about ourselves, we fail to see the big picture.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:05 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
#richonne

Old 02-22-2016, 12:38 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,526,931 times
24 Pages.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or