U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2007, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,624,430 times
Reputation: 3587

Advertisements

I am married to a black woman. Actually she is West Indian but she appears to be black to others until she speaks with her accent. We have had NO trouble here at all. We have gone many places too. We used to have some trouble in Chicago but down here people cool with it. In fact it is really quite the norm here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2007, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,624,430 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
I think the timing of this article is perfect. Check it out: 'Could Mr. Right be white?' More black women consider 'dating out' - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/personal/08/06/interracial.dating.ap/index.html - broken link)
Most black women will have to "date out" in the future. There are simply too few black men who are on the level of the black woman (professional, educated, employed, no felony, good credit). And the competition is very fierce for those few black men that meet the criteria. As a white male, I was not looking for a black woman specifically (some white males actually prefer a black woman) but it just turned out that way. When I was dating, I dated women of both kinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Alaska
1 posts, read 4,481 times
Reputation: 10
Default for me

I would love to date and marry a black woman, Once I found one that is willing to be with me all I look for is a woman that want’s to have fun and loves to laugh and just not take life to seriously and not care what anyone thinks, but in the end it’s just me and the woman I am with is all that would ever matter to me…. It’s the way I am and I will stay this way till I die… So for me the choice is easy…

It’s finding one that want’s to be with me and loves to laugh and have fun and enjoy life.

Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
 
54 posts, read 149,890 times
Reputation: 15
Default This was my Experience

Well, I use to date a white girl in Atlanta and I have to honestly say we got some pretty ugly stares. Also I can honestly say that alot of her friends didn't like it. And as far as Black women were concerned they were pretty ****ing brutal about it. We vowed we would never go in Cumberland mall again after that ridiculous scene. They were calling her names and even said her breast weren't real. So I guess it all depends on how good you look as a couple, I see alot of brothers with some tore down over weight white women. I just happened to have a really attractive mate at the time and I guess that makes a hell of a difference she actually looked like a model.

I think anyone moving to Atlanta that has a mate of another race should really think about it. I know longer live there thank goodness, but I can tell you it can effect you. There are alot of afro American women and Men in very high places there. So don't think that this will not effect you getting ahead or getting promoted? It certainly did me, once they found out that I preferred to date outside of my race I was never treated or looked at the same. Plus it didn't help that I was lighter skinned so that made me a even bigger sell out in there opinion. I have interracial dated not because I am not attracted to my own it is because of there myopic point a views about things. I am a very well rounded individual and I like everything not just one type of music or atmosphere. So trust me it can effect you in a big way there if you are not your own boss or already stable in some form or fashion. Because they take that in as a huge offense especially with the fact that 70% of the area is afro American. Its almost like you are making a special effort to do it in there opinion or something. But the one thing I can tell you racism is stronger than EVER in that area. And you don't see as much interracial dating as you use too in the early periods of Olympic era. The white women are just not 100% comfortable with the idea due to there associates and what they would have to endure from the black women. Before I left it was always the same thing over and over, they would talk to you while you were in there face at a club or bar. But once you left the scene and called them back you got no play at all just run around. I think white people are just dealing with the situation now because there just isn't too many places they can go with out seeing us there. And when I did see brothers with them, like I said they were not up to par or they were exotic dancers. And the new thing down there, the white women want a thug just for the hell of it I guess because hip hip is in. So I got up out of there quick, fast and in a hurry ...just wasn't the place for me I am out on the west coast now. Race relations are a hell of alot better !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 03:34 PM
 
54 posts, read 149,890 times
Reputation: 15
Default P.s

If you are looking to move there in a interracial marriage or relationship you should be fine as long as you are not looking for anyone. To find someone you most definitely have to be in a professional environment and get to know that person or vice versa. And 9 times Out of 10 you have to work closely with that person or something like that. And that still really gives you not much guarantee. It just depends on how many white people work there and if they are going to give them **** about it. And even that is hard with the city being 70% afro American. My last 3 jobs I can honestly say how many white professionals actually worked there or any other race ? Not many at all ? So good luck to anyone that has a preference in Atlanta.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Atlanta,Ga
826 posts, read 2,736,528 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arish View Post
Well, I use to date a white girl in Atlanta and I have to honestly say we got some pretty ugly stares. Also I can honestly say that alot of her friends didn't like it. And as far as Black women were concerned they were pretty ****ing brutal about it. We vowed we would never go in Cumberland mall again after that ridiculous scene. They were calling her names and even said her breast weren't real. So I guess it all depends on how good you look as a couple, I see alot of brothers with some tore down over weight white women. I just happened to have a really attractive mate at the time and I guess that makes a hell of a difference she actually looked like a model.

I think anyone moving to Atlanta that has a mate of another race should really think about it. I know longer live there thank goodness, but I can tell you it can effect you. There are alot of afro American women and Men in very high places there. So don't think that this will not effect you getting ahead or getting promoted? It certainly did me, once they found out that I preferred to date outside of my race I was never treated or looked at the same. Plus it didn't help that I was lighter skinned so that made me a even bigger sell out in there opinion. I have interracial dated not because I am not attracted to my own it is because of there myopic point a views about things. I am a very well rounded individual and I like everything not just one type of music or atmosphere. So trust me it can effect you in a big way there if you are not your own boss or already stable in some form or fashion. Because they take that in as a huge offense especially with the fact that 70% of the area is afro American. Its almost like you are making a special effort to do it in there opinion or something. But the one thing I can tell you racism is stronger than EVER in that area. And you don't see as much interracial dating as you use too in the early periods of Olympic era. The white women are just not 100% comfortable with the idea due to there associates and what they would have to endure from the black women. Before I left it was always the same thing over and over, they would talk to you while you were in there face at a club or bar. But once you left the scene and called them back you got no play at all just run around. I think white people are just dealing with the situation now because there just isn't too many places they can go with out seeing us there. And when I did see brothers with them, like I said they were not up to par or they were exotic dancers. And the new thing down there, the white women want a thug just for the hell of it I guess because hip hip is in. So I got up out of there quick, fast and in a hurry ...just wasn't the place for me I am out on the west coast now. Race relations are a hell of alot better !

As someone in an interracial marriage, I have no doubt you received some ugly looks but your story seems be a bit elaborate and has a few holes in it.
First, you say you had a harder time because you two are more attractive then most. Braggart much?
Next you state you did not get promoted because (1) you preferred to date Caucasian women (2) you are lighter skinned. How does this subject come up in a professional environment? Why are you telling you superiors or co-workers (who obviously aren’t your friends) about your dating preferences? Additionally, why are you working at a place that doesn’t like lighter skinned blacks? How did you get hired there in the first place?
My husband has had no issue being promoted, and has been twice since we moved here 3 years ago. This with most people knowing he is married to a black woman.
Finally your post is incredibly challenging to comprehend due to your sentence structure. Maybe using the word “know” instead of “no”, being unable to determine when to use “their” instead of “there”, and your poor sentence structure is why you could not get promoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
 
54 posts, read 149,890 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
As someone in an interracial marriage, I have no doubt you received some ugly looks but your story seems be a bit elaborate and has a few holes in it.
First, you say you had a harder time because you two are more attractive then most. Braggart much?
Next you state you did not get promoted because (1) you preferred to date Caucasian women (2) you are lighter skinned. How does this subject come up in a professional environment? Why are you telling you superiors or co-workers (who obviously aren’t your friends) about your dating preferences? Additionally, why are you working at a place that doesn’t like lighter skinned blacks? How did you get hired there in the first place?
My husband has had no issue being promoted, and has been twice since we moved here 3 years ago. This with most people knowing he is married to a black woman.
Finally your post is incredibly challenging to comprehend due to your sentence structure. Maybe using the word “know” instead of “no”, being unable to determine when to use “their” instead of “there”, and your poor sentence structure is why you could not get promoted.

No need for insults, I type incredibly fast and half the time and I don't proof read especially on something like this ! I was speaking from my experiences and if you have an issue with it ? That is something you have to work out within your self . I was just speaking from my experience and yes, I did make some mistakes running my mouth at work BIG TIME. But I feel like we should live in a world where race shouldn't be an issue. Especially as big as a city Atlanta claims to be in a sense. I learned my lesson and I really really paid a deep price for it and I got out of the situation as soon as I had the chance.

I am no longer in Atlanta and have no interest in coming back ever in life due to my experiences. People out here on the west coast really don't care about that kind of crap as much. Here is a actual article that I found on the internet ! I will post the link to it as well for you too read the rest if needed. Do not insult me again it really doesn't make you look any better, so keep that in mind. If you have been fortunate in Atlanta not to endure ridicule, then that is a great thing I am happy for you. But I went through alot and I was just sharing my experience not YOURS my EXPERIENCE, GOT THAT ? One last thing my career has nothing to do with my sentience structure. My career path includes : diction, computer knowledge, skills etc, real estate knowledge, financial and Banking knowledge. And I honesty have to say I have all of those covered so thank you but no thanks !


I'm going to jump into the fray here Now this is coming from an interracial magazine which conducted its own research so take it with a grain of salt.

10 best/worst cities for interracial couples

Best

1. San Francisco, CA
2. Seattle, WA
3. Minneapolis, Mn (sp)
4. Denver, Co
5. Phoenix, AZ
6. San Diego, CA
7. Honolulu, HI
8. New York, NY
9. Los Angeles, CA
10. Oakland, CA

Worst

1. Birmingham, AL
2. Detroit, Mi
3. Philadelphia, PA
4. Cleveland, OH
5. Atlanta, GA
6. Cincinnati, OH
7. Pittsburgh, PA
8. Jacksonville, FL
9. Memphis, TN
10. New Orleans LA

I believe the survey was done with metros of 500,000 or more. I tend to agree with all of these picks due to the diversity and culture of the best cities and the lack of diversity

Best cities for interracial dating? - [domain blocked due to spam]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 03:03 PM
 
340 posts, read 1,415,090 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arish View Post
I am no longer in Atlanta and have no interest in coming back ever in life due to my experiences.
Well, I respect your personal experiences and your opinion, but I have one word for you before you have another bad experience. I realize there is difference from one place to another in term of racial issues. However all at one paticular place don't have the same experience. I think same is true with west coast. The key is how you react to other people's perseption. There is no single formular to this. BTW, I feel very bad Atlanta has lost a nice guy like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
 
54 posts, read 149,890 times
Reputation: 15
Default I hope this answers your HOLES !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
As someone in an interracial marriage, I have no doubt you received some ugly looks but your story seems be a bit elaborate and has a few holes in it.
First, you say you had a harder time because you two are more attractive then most. Braggart much?
Next you state you did not get promoted because (1) you preferred to date Caucasian women (2) you are lighter skinned. How does this subject come up in a professional environment? Why are you telling you superiors or co-workers (who obviously aren’t your friends) about your dating preferences? Additionally, why are you working at a place that doesn’t like lighter skinned blacks? How did you get hired there in the first place?
My husband has had no issue being promoted, and has been twice since we moved here 3 years ago. This with most people knowing he is married to a black woman.
Finally your post is incredibly challenging to comprehend due to your sentence structure. Maybe using the word “know” instead of “no”, being unable to determine when to use “their” instead of “there”, and your poor sentence structure is why you could not get promoted.


To answer your question I was asked to go there and I took the offer if you want to get in to specifics? I was working in East Cobb at 1st at a really nice location in the beginning. Had a very diverse office staff which made for a better environment in my opinion. They needed help in midtown Atlanta and I took the job thinking it would be a ok idea. Boy was that a huge mistake because the environment wasn't close to being the same. The clientčle was alot worse and the staff was for sure. And when they switched the manager it was pretty much all over.. in a sense. We had a Indian Manager and she was pretty fair about things in the beginning. Also, how did I get hired was your question ? I was hired by a White Guy from my hometown and he was the one that put me at the East Cobb location in the beginning. I just felt I would answer your questions since you felt there were holes in it. To finish this off for you ? Me and her are no longer together for personal reasons. But lets just say she left Atlanta also because of a similar reason. She worked at an establishment that had all of a certain minority and they dogged her out and fired her. They did know about me because I had come up there to visit her on several occasions. She no longer resides in Atlanta and I no longer either End of Story.

I am at work so if my sentence structure isn't up to par then I am sorry ! LOL


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
 
54 posts, read 149,890 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
Well, I respect your personal experiences and your opinion, but I have one word for you before you have another bad experience. I realize there is difference from one place to another in term of racial issues. However all at one paticular place don't have the same experience. I think same is true with west coast. The key is how you react to other people's perseption. There is no single formular to this. BTW, I feel very bad Atlanta has lost a nice guy like you.
Thank You

I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top