Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ok sorry as I'm not directly part of this concern. I'm a white guy, not a black woman. lol

BUT...

Just one observation: It's more common in Atlanta to see a black man with a white woman. I know from comments I've heard from black female coworkers that not all of them accept this, but, they're very tactful and usually remain pretty quiet in terms of not being slanderous. HOWEVER, I've seen two situations where a black woman was dating a white man (as far as people I directly know or work with), and I can tell you that the black men who worked where I do had A LOT to say about it - none of it good and most of it with words that aren't allowed here. White people seem to just ignore it as it's seen more and more commonly, unless as someone else said, you move to the outer burb areas where you may get a raised eyebrow or two.

Again, just my limited experience on the topic, but based on that, I would say the most negativity is going to come from black men in the area than anyone else.
A little FYI, Black women that date outside the race don't care what black men think. If we worried about "their" thoughts we'd be a bunch of miserable lonely women. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 AM

16 posts, read 85,715 times
To Black Women Who Are Thinking About Dating White Men , I Say Go Ahead With It That's What I'm Thinking About Doing Where I Live All The Good Black Men Are Already Spoken For That Only Leaves White Men ,so I Dont Want To End Up Like Most Black Women Alone, So I Guess I'll Give It A Try

Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 AM

187 posts, read 918,731 times
This is the 21st Century so I guess it is time to wake up and get with the times. I find the interracial dating thing to be interesting myself. Being a black male, I prefer black women but if the right woman from another race were to come into the picture and is on my level, who knows what I might do. On the other hand I have a little reservation as to interracial dating in the south for fear of a lynch mob coming out with the ropes, horse and shot guns to hang me or burn my house down...lol

Old 08-06-2007, 10:10 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHELSEA37 View Post
To Black Women Who Are Thinking About Dating White Men , I Say Go Ahead With It That's What I'm Thinking About Doing Where I Live All The Good Black Men Are Already Spoken For That Only Leaves White Men ,so I Dont Want To End Up Like Most Black Women Alone, So I Guess I'll Give It A Try
I am interested in what research indicates that most black women are alone. And if black men are taken, that only leaves white men?? There are only two races?? Really?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 PM

218 posts, read 1,189,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I am interested in what research indicates that most black women are alone. And if black men are taken, that only leaves white men?? There are only two races?? Really?
I would like to see this too; most black women I know that are alone choose to be...it's not because they can't, I guess, find a man. Some just have other priorities in their lives.

As far as if a man of another race down here would ask you out, that is hard to say on this forum; I guess they would have to be attracted to you mentally and physically...we can't say whether or not that would happen; you have to get out there and see for yourself.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,634 times
I think the timing of this article is perfect. Check it out: 'Could Mr. Right be white?' More black women consider 'dating out' - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/personal/08/06/interracial.dating.ap/index.html - broken link)

Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Not true. They give me dirty looks, voice stupid comments, and shake their heads at me all the time.
I wouldn't doubt that. But what I'm saying is that Black men with White women get it worse than that. They get the icy reception from Black women( no denying that) and you know from White males(provided the women is attractive) For instance you say the only issues you have are from African-Americans. Certainly that wouldn't be the case if you were the male. I've gone out on platonic lunches with White co-workers and felt the stares like needles at places where I was the only Black face. I've always found it funny and joked to my companion that I should just start kissing them all over to realy get em upset. LOL.

Myself I don't care who dates who as long as they don't feel the need to blanketly put down those of their same race as a means of justifying it. Not that I say it needs to be justified. But I'm just speaking of painting with a broad brush thing. Like saying Black men are too this or Black women are not enough this. As if it's all inclusive of the group as a whole because of their experiences. And it often time might be them with just as many shortcoming and issues anyway.

Last edited by kayrob; 08-06-2007 at 11:59 PM..

Old 08-07-2007, 09:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgify2001 View Post
Thanks for the replies!

My concern was not with how other people would react to my ir dating, but rather if any non-black men would ask me out at all! I am from the North and have lived both there and on the coasts (NYC and SF). I have no knowledge of the South and how much it has changed from its past history. Please enlighten a sista!
I'll step in one more time, then. Remember, many people in Atlanta are not FROM Atlanta. As a matter of fact, many are not even from the South. Atlanta and the metro area has a huge transplanted population, so you tend to see all sorts of color and race combinations in the dating scene here. Finding a date shouldn't be a problem unless you drool or foam at the mouth. LOL.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 AM

642 posts, read 2,219,208 times
True. Only lived here for a bit over 5 months but I've seen far more interracial couplings than I would see when I lived in Jersey.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 33,055 times
Default Wow

I am from Ca and contemplating moving to Ga. I just don't get the racial stuff maybe in Ca so mixed that I have become immune to it. I say do as you want. It is difficult to believe that in this day there is even discussions and debates about it. but heads up; I think it will be a thing of the past. And that's a really good thing. I will date any one from any country or race as long as she is in good shape and health. So maybe if you want a smooth transition you can consider and "in between person" someone who is not Black or White... But anyway, don't let it get to you only ignorant jerks pay attention to that stuff. So walk with you chin up and shake what you got and the hell with everything else...

Look me up when you get there... We can paint the town in living colors and laugh at those with raised brows...

Cheers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta