Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM

823 posts, read 2,209,458 times

Advertisements

Not impressed. I'll be voting against it. Too many roads not enough transit and what transit that is there is mostly unfunded and pie in the sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,984,549 times
List is great for the amount we r receiving I will be voting for the tax

Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 AM

10,733 posts, read 13,271,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Ditto. We have to start somewhere, and this is a good start. Clearly we would like MORE transit, but this is a car town and roads are will continue to be critical to our succes.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 AM

3,695 posts, read 5,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Yeah, I mean, even if the only transit that gets built is:

- An extension of MARTA to Emory
- Some form of mass transit up to Cumberland or beyond
- A large plurality of Beltline funding

...it will be a great decade for Atlanta in terms of mass transit expansion. Way, way better than the 2000s obviously.

And let's not pretend for a moment the road projects aren't sorely needed in lots of places.

I just wish the list were a little more plainly presented. For instance, I understand 316 will be made limited access almost to the border of Barrow County, which is a major, major improvement. Anyone who travels that part of 316 regularly knows it's a total cluster and would love to get rid of those insane stoplights and 30-minute backups that form daily.

People from Fayette County also will have vastly improved access to the city. The Highway 74/I-85 interchange handles 20,000 cars per day as well as a massive amount of freight and logistics traffic but is still a basic diamond interchange; backups go on all day long. It needs to be replaced with a proper cloverleaf interchange. From the Fayetteville side, Highway 54 (currently a dangerous 2-lane road) will be upgraded to four lanes into Clayton County and connected with a new limited-access Superarterial at Tara Boulevard; this will probably shave 10-15 minutes off of the time it takes to get from Fayetteville to Atlanta, which currently involves long, arduous drives on congested highways.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:05 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,984,549 times
I'm ready to see the look on the atl haters face when they see our new transit map lol

Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,907,309 times
A few things that people need to understand.

1. This list is just for what will be funded by the transportation tax. That does not mean other projects will not be funded in other ways such as State and/or Federal funding.

2. The tax is expected to raise $7.2 billion over 10 years. $6.1 goes to this list, the rest:

Quote:
The 10-year tax is expected to raise $7.2 billion, of which $6.1 billion goes to the regional project list. The other $1.1 billion may be spent by counties and cities on transportation projects of their choosing.
3. This is just the beginning. After 10 years, a new list will be created.

While I can understand why some will be disappointed with this list, just be patient and realize that (if passed) we will get (and a few other things in addition to this):

-A brand new MARTA subway line to North Dekalb
-A major extension of the Red line to North Fulton
-Extensions of the Blue line on each end
-Train service to Cobb county from the city of Atlanta
-THE MOTHERFREAKING BELTLINE TRANSIT LOOP

One other very positive result is that it seems that Mayor Reed and Governor Deal worked in tandem to get this done and worked together in a professional, courteous manner. This was the main reason I voted for Mayor Reed, but I am happy to say I am pleasantly surprised for Governor Deal whom I did not have much regard for going into this. The only way this will work is if we have all of the various local and State leaders working together like adults.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,529,675 times
If this passes, at least we will be going in a positive direction rather than continuing to fall backwards.

waronxmas and Ansley are exactly right. This is a beginning, and a very good one.

Now, let's get to work to make sure this referendum passes. Can you imagine how you will feel if you wake next year after the vote and it didn't pass???

Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,258,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While I can understand why some will be disappointed with this list, just be patient and realize that (if passed) we will get (and a few other things in addition to this):

-A brand new MARTA subway line to North Dekalb
-A major extension of the Red line to North Fulton
-Extensions of the Blue line on each end
-Train service to Cobb county from the city of Atlanta
-THE MOTHERFREAKING BELTLINE TRANSIT LOOP
Is all of this fully funded by the initiative? I just glanced through the list and am unsure exactly how the numbers are supposed to line up, but it looked like many road projects were fully funded while the transit projects were only partially (or minimally) funded. Am I wrong about that? If not, where does the rest of the funding come from and how do we know what will actually be built?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,907,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Is all of this fully funded by the initiative? I just glanced through the list and am unsure exactly how the numbers are supposed to line up, but it looked like many road projects were fully funded while the transit projects were only partially (or minimally) funded. Am I wrong about that? If not, where does the rest of the funding come from and how do we know what will actually be built?
It's a combination of the transit tax, State, and Federal funding.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,529,675 times
Has the issue of the existing MARTA tax been resolved? Or will Fulton and DeKalb residents be asked to pay an additional 1% for transportation on top of the 1% they're paying now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta