Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,335 times

Advertisements

Personally I think HOA's are aweful - who are these strangers to tell me how and what I should do on my own property. Reason I do not live where there is an HOA and never will! Bunch of busy boddies with nothing better to do than bother their neighbors! Get a life!!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 AM

285 posts, read 874,262 times
I still think this is extortion. I don't care if it's in the contract/bylaws or not.

Attorney's fees, yeah right.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,341,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalu View Post
Personally I think HOA's are aweful - who are these strangers to tell me how and what I should do on my own property. Reason I do not live where there is an HOA and never will! Bunch of busy boddies with nothing better to do than bother their neighbors! Get a life!!
What a ridiculous statement .

Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 AM

199 posts, read 178,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
What a ridiculous statement .
How so?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM

140 posts, read 418,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalu View Post
Couldn't agree more. Yeah, I hear rumors that there are some good ones out there. But a "good HOA" sounds more like a unicorn, to me, than reality.

None for me, thank you.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM

59 posts, read 222,988 times
Update: I was sent a spreedsheet from their legal team yesterday showing all that I owe and how it was conceived. I was shocked to see that last year, according them, I did not pay for five months straight. I was terrified. This morning my banking system switched to Wells Fargo - just in time b/c they seem to have a great check retrieval program. Not only did I see where I made the payments but I saw where I was over-paying until the 2nd assessment was due Nov. of last year. I found all the cleared check images in question from last year and sent them over to my attorney. The checks cleared because I see them in paper statements. I sitting here dumbfounded. I thought last year I was late on the 2nd installment of the $500 of the special assessment and was docked in attorney fees. Never did I hear I was delinquent for 5 months. This is so weird. Rod Sterling - when are you going to show yourself? I could never make this up.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM

188 posts, read 296,202 times
Sorry to hear of your troubles. As for getting around the concrete blocks (assuming they have been put back after your wife got her car out)... have you considered taking up a motorcycle?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:39 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,341,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
How so?
Generalizing that HOAs are run by a bunch of busybodies with nothing better to do is ignorant. I own two properties that both have solid HOAs. I don't look at them as being restrictive and overbearing, but instead they act in the best interest of the community as a whole. They look out for the property values of the owners and prevent people from neglecting their property. If you want pink flamingos all over your yard and a run down yard, don't move into my community, because your actions are affecting my property values. I don't think that is an awful thing.

The whole tone of everyone chiming in is ridiculous.

HOA #1 sucks.
Therefore, all HOAs suck.
Get the torches and pitchforks!!!

This guy obviously has a crap HOA and is dealing with something that is out of the ordinary, which is what makes it interesting. If this was common as many are suggesting, why would this thread be up to 170+ replies? Obviously it isn't normal and the outlier. This HOA is obviously struggling for money (hence the repeated special assessments). They aren't able to keep up with the maintenance because people aren't paying. This would **** me off as someone who would be paying. Are they trying to run people off they likely view as deadbeats? Probably. I'm not saying this is the best method, but put yourself in the shoes of the homeowner two doors down who hasn't ever been late and has paid everything. What is his incentive to keep doing things right if people are getting by not paying? Again, not saying this is done correctly in this case, but I understand the anger and frustration the HOA board is feeling. I doubt any of them are behind so they are likely angry and frustrated. I'm just playing devils advocate here because some of the comments on here are nuts.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,921,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner24 View Post
Update: I was sent a spreedsheet from their legal team yesterday showing all that I owe and how it was conceived. I was shocked to see that last year, according them, I did not pay for five months straight. I was terrified. This morning my banking system switched to Wells Fargo - just in time b/c they seem to have a great check retrieval program. Not only did I see where I made the payments but I saw where I was over-paying until the 2nd assessment was due Nov. of last year. I found all the cleared check images in question from last year and sent them over to my attorney. The checks cleared because I see them in paper statements. I sitting here dumbfounded. I thought last year I was late on the 2nd installment of the $500 of the special assessment and was docked in attorney fees. Never did I hear I was delinquent for 5 months. This is so weird. Rod Sterling - when are you going to show yourself? I could never make this up.
I am surprised that they didn't give you this spreadsheet months ago before things got to this point. That way, you could have cleared it all up and hopefully had a much smaller balance in the process. I hope it all gets sorted out. I am sure you are ready to put this behind you.

As for all those in this thread that think that HOA's are all bad news, you are sadly mistaken. There are great things about having an HOA and in the four we have been a part of, we haven't had one experience that could be looked at as bad. I love that the integrity of the neighborhood is protected when many cities cannot enforce those regulations, the neighborhood feel being protected - such as pool parties, fairs, etc. and the amenities. Sure, you get some interesting people (more so outside of the board who gripe about EVERYTHING) but I love having the opportunity to get to know neighbors that I would have never met without all of these activities. I like that most of us seem to look out for each other and the interests of the neighborhood. I am sorry that some have had bad experiences as in this thread, but for those saying they would never live in an HOA but who have never been part of one, you are sadly mistaken about how horrible they are. The type of HOA in this thread is a once in a blue moon type of example. Thankfully!!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,859,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Generalizing that HOAs are run by a bunch of busybodies with nothing better to do is ignorant. I own two properties that both have solid HOAs. I don't look at them as being restrictive and overbearing, but instead they act in the best interest of the community as a whole. They look out for the property values of the owners and prevent people from neglecting their property. If you want pink flamingos all over your yard and a run down yard, don't move into my community, because your actions are affecting my property values. I don't think that is an awful thing.

The whole tone of everyone chiming in is ridiculous.

HOA #1 sucks.
Therefore, all HOAs suck.
Get the torches and pitchforks!!!

This guy obviously has a crap HOA and is dealing with something that is out of the ordinary, which is what makes it interesting. If this was common as many are suggesting, why would this thread be up to 170+ replies? Obviously it isn't normal and the outlier. This HOA is obviously struggling for money (hence the repeated special assessments). They aren't able to keep up with the maintenance because people aren't paying. This would **** me off as someone who would be paying. Are they trying to run people off they likely view as deadbeats? Probably. I'm not saying this is the best method, but put yourself in the shoes of the homeowner two doors down who hasn't ever been late and has paid everything. What is his incentive to keep doing things right if people are getting by not paying? Again, not saying this is done correctly in this case, but I understand the anger and frustration the HOA board is feeling. I doubt any of them are behind so they are likely angry and frustrated. I'm just playing devils advocate here because some of the comments on here are nuts.
Well said. HOA"s aren't supposed to be run "by a bunch of strangers". They are supposed to be neighbors working towards a common goal, ie, maintaining the property values of all. The only time we have had an issue living with an HOA was when the enforcement was turned over to an outside management company. In that case rules were selectively enforced.

Here in GA, we have a small neighborhood, and a socially active HOA. People with gripes can contact the president to get things resolved without fighting with their neighbors. Everybody serves on a rotating basis. It can work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta