Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have never understood why so many stores in Atlanta don't have doors on the street.

I've also never understood why Atlanta businesses tend to put their parking lots up front and the actual businesses in the back. You can still have a car oriented culture -- just put the parking lots behind. That's one thing I've always liked about this Brookwood shopping center.
I suppose they were worried about theft, although it seems like in this day and age there would have been ways to prevent that. But when was this built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
I have never understood why so many stores in Atlanta don't have doors on the street.

I've also never understood why Atlanta businesses tend to put their parking lots up front and the actual businesses in the back. You can still have a car oriented culture -- just put the parking lots behind. That's one thing I've always liked about this Brookwood shopping center.
But those places still shun the street as you have to enter in the back. Even Dick's Sporting, Staples, Publix and Target near Lenox are entered from inside the parking deck. No street access. As I've learned over the years, parking places for a store are invaluable above all else. Car accessibility is more important than being near bus stops or rail stations.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
I suppose they were worried about theft, although it seems like in this day and age there would have been ways to prevent that. But when was this built?
I've heard that but it doesn't seem like Atlanta would be any more prone to theft than any other city.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But those places still shun the street as you have to enter in the back. Even Dick's Sporting, Staples, Publix and Target near Lenox are entered from inside the parking deck. No street access. As I've learned over the years, parking places for a store are invaluable above all else. Car accessibility is more important than being near bus stops or rail stations.
Actually places like Dick's and Staples probably do have street access nowadays. If I'm not mistaken the city code requires it.

And I don't have any problem with shops providing parking -- the car is still by far the best way to get around in Atlanta and most cities and that will no doubt be the case for many years to come.

My point is simply that they should not put the parking up front at the street. Put it behind the buildings like they did at the Brookwood shopping center, or make it interior to the center like they did at the Dick's/Staples/Target center.

If you put the buildings at the street you can have a good mix of cars and pedestrian/transit traffic. When you stick the buildings in the back you are almost guaranteeing that foot traffic will be deterred, if not killed off altogether.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I've heard that but it doesn't seem like Atlanta would be any more prone to theft than any other city.
Stores want to limit the number access points for security so clearly cars get the preference.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Stores want to limit the number access points for security so clearly cars get the preference.
I don't understand why security would be such an issue. Stores have been opening directly out on the street for centuries and in countless places they still do. In many places stores are open markets with no walls or doors at all.

I think the fear that Atlantans are particularly prone to steal merchandise and run out the front door are vastly overblown. Is there any evidence whatsoever to support that?

In any case they're now required by city law to open their doors to the street.

Of course that still doesn't address why so many stores put their parking lots up front and stick their stores way in the back. That just seems plain dumb.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:

Its part of developer madness. Then they put a sidewalk up front and wonder why people don't walk. The developers are horrible, period.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 PM

37 posts, read 172,554 times
I agree this will give the other nearby Krogers a bump, but I also would think that it would generate increased volume for competitors like Publix (corner of Peachtree/Roxboro).

Old 06-11-2011, 02:05 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconVI View Post
I agree this will give the other nearby Krogers a bump, but I also would think that it would generate increased volume for competitors like Publix (corner of Peachtree/Roxboro).
My guess is the biggest beneficiary of this closing will be the Atlantic Station Publix. Very close, and the SCAD students can take the school shuttle to Arts Center Station and transfer to the AS shuttle free of charge.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Actually places like Dick's and Staples probably do have street access nowadays. If I'm not mistaken the city code requires it.
Unless it is very recent, I don't think so. They do provide for an emergency exit that faces the street and perhaps it can be used if needed by firefighters.

Quote:
My point is simply that they should not put the parking up front at the street. Put it behind the buildings like they did at the Brookwood shopping center, or make it interior to the center like they did at the Dick's/Staples/Target center.

If you put the buildings at the street you can have a good mix of cars and pedestrian/transit traffic. When you stick the buildings in the back you are almost guaranteeing that foot traffic will be deterred, if not killed off altogether.
It sounds good, but the effect I've seen is that it makes the store look "dead". Cars and people out front might invite others to do the same. Just playing armchair psychologist here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta