U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 PM

14,832 posts, read 9,535,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I got pulled over in Cobb county a long time ago (on hwy 92) after just leaving a friend's house late at night. My friend who just so happens to be black was in the car with me (I'm white). I had an expired tag, granted I had already mailed in my renewal and was just waiting for the new sticker to arrive in the mail and I thought I was getting pulled over for that but the cop was determined that I was drunk (I wasn't. I was just sleepy and wanted to go home). I told him that I wasn't but he didn't believe me. He pulled me out of the car anyway and gave me a drunken sobriety test which I passed with flying colors. Then he became convinced that I was high. I told him I wasn't and he still shun his flashlight in my eyes and down my throat. After asking me a dozen questions (trying to trick me into confessing something) and 20 minutes later, he finally let me go and didn't even care about the expired tag. I'm fairly convinced that he thought that any young interracial people driving at 2am must be on something and wanted to bust us. I've heard many stories like this on and offline.
I'm sorry you got hassled this way. That's totally not cool.

I'm also worried this law could result in Hispanic people being targeted and picked on.

At the same time, I don't think it's too onerous to require drivers to produce a valid license or at least some form of proof of ID. I don't want unlicensed or uninsured drivers on our roads.

Is there any way to narrow this down so that we accomplish the goals we want without hassling legit citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

2,829 posts, read 2,438,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm sorry you got hassled this way. That's totally not cool.

I'm also worried this law could result in Hispanic people being targeted and picked on.

At the same time, I don't think it's too onerous to require drivers to produce a valid license or at least some form of proof of ID. I don't want unlicensed or uninsured drivers on our roads.

Is there any way to narrow this down so that we accomplish the goals we want without hassling legit citizens?
It's already illegal to drive without a license. If you fail to provide a license and insurance, you will be fined and/or arrested.

Under HB 87, if you fail to provide a license and then fail to prove your immigration status, you'll be jailed and possibly deported.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM

14,832 posts, read 9,535,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
It's already illegal to drive without a license. If you fail to provide a license and insurance, you will be fined and/or arrested.
And that's as it should be.

Quote:
Under HB 87, if you fail to provide a license and then fail to prove your immigration status, you'll be jailed and possibly deported.
But if you have a license (or other valid ID) you're okay, right? And assuming that FAQ is correct, if you don't have your license on you they can look it up on the computer.

I'm just trying to do break this down a little. We all know profiling goes on -- against Hispanics, blacks, young people, and others.

However, I'm not sure it's the requirement for having a license that's behind that. You're either licensed or you're not.

I'm not really trying to argue with you -- as I say, I'm also concerned about Hispanics being targeted and hassled. But requiring drivers to have a valid license doesn't seem unreasonable.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,472,892 times
Alabama passed an immigration bill today that is harsher than ours

Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,382,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Alabama passed an immigration bill today that is harsher than ours
I saw that too. It's so sad. These people are just trying to make a life for themselves which is VERY hard to do in Mexico.

I wouldn't be so against these bills if it were easier to become a citizen or get a green card. I have heard of people who have been trying to get citizenship for almost 4 years now! People act as if it's so easy to get legal here and these immigrants just refuse to in effort to avoid paying certain taxes. That couldn't be further from the truth. Most Latinos I know love this country and would equally love to become citizens. They just can't for varying reasons.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:02 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Isn't the whole justification for in state vs out of state tuition at a university the fact that people in-state pay for the university's funding through sales and income taxes? Correct me if I'm wrong here. But immigration status seems irrelevant to the matter, given that you're going to let them go to school at all.
Yes but as an illegal immigrant your not entitled to this benefit and there is simply no way around it.. You can't pass a law that allows illegal immigrants to pay in state tuition until you address the first issue of their illegal status. In order for the states to enforce such a law, they would be required to ignore the first law...

This is the cart before the horse issue that can only be addressed after immigration reform has been tackeled and lets face it, neither party in WASHINGTON is serious about it which is why the states are taking action...

Old 06-09-2011, 03:06 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I saw that too. It's so sad. These people are just trying to make a life for themselves which is VERY hard to do in Mexico.

I wouldn't be so against these bills if it were easier to become a citizen or get a green card. I have heard of people who have been trying to get citizenship for almost 4 years now! People act as if it's so easy to get legal here and these immigrants just refuse to in effort to avoid paying certain taxes. That couldn't be further from the truth. Most Latinos I know love this country and would equally love to become citizens. They just can't for varying reasons.
If the SOBs in WASHINGTON worked as hard on an immigration Bill as they did on Obamacare then they could get something done but lets face it.. immigration reform impacts millions of unregistered non voting people, so they may put on a concerned face but they simply don't care enough.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM

3,175 posts, read 2,541,869 times
Hey I don't think all cops are bad but if people they are not going to profile Latino's they are living in a fantasy world.. The South is the south..Ask yourself this. As you feel everyone is treated equal would you have any problem stepping into another race shoes for a day? Now I'm just saying changing outward appearance the person is still the same person inside...It's been tried before and it was a hard lesson learned..

The Statue Of liberty:

"“The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!"” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Old 06-09-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Yes but as an illegal immigrant your not entitled to this benefit and there is simply no way around it.. You can't pass a law that allows illegal immigrants to pay in state tuition until you address the first issue of their illegal status. In order for the states to enforce such a law, they would be required to ignore the first law...

This is the cart before the horse issue that can only be addressed after immigration reform has been tackeled and lets face it, neither party in WASHINGTON is serious about it which is why the states are taking action...
How can you allow illegals to pay out of state tuition, either?

Old 06-09-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
But if you have a license (or other valid ID) you're okay, right? And assuming that FAQ is correct, if you don't have your license on you they can look it up on the computer.

I'm just trying to do break this down a little. We all know profiling goes on -- against Hispanics, blacks, young people, and others.

However, I'm not sure it's the requirement for having a license that's behind that. You're either licensed or you're not.

I'm not really trying to argue with you -- as I say, I'm also concerned about Hispanics being targeted and hassled. But requiring drivers to have a valid license doesn't seem unreasonable.
The reason HB 87 requires drivers to have a valid license is not to ensure they are licensed drivers. It's to ensure they have legal status. Of course, you can have a valid Mexican driver's license and legally drive in the US. You can also have a valid Washington driver's license and be an illegal immigrant. Both of these forms of ID are acceptable for driving, but not acceptable for HB 87. The Georgia DDS will also not have information about these folks' immigration status on hand. They will thus have to be arrested if they can't provide other documentation. (The Washington issue WILL pop up, whether we like it or not.)

Asking for a driver's license is simply the most efficient way of forcing someone to prove their immigration status in the majority of cases. That's all this is about. But the bolded misses the point: you aren't simply required to have a valid driver's license. You are required to prove you immigration status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta