Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times

Advertisements

I really wish they'd turn it into a Southern Music Museum and add in stuff from neighboring states. Like it or not, someone visiting from TN or LA or AL is going to hear about the museum and say "We have plenty of our own music, why do I need to learn about Georgia's music?"

If the music is targeted more towards tourists from throughout the south it would get more traffic and still serve the function of teaching people about the music Georgia has created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I really wish they'd turn it into a Southern Music Museum and add in stuff from neighboring states. Like it or not, someone visiting from TN or LA or AL is going to hear about the museum and say "We have plenty of our own music, why do I need to learn about Georgia's music?"

If the music is targeted more towards tourists from throughout the south it would get more traffic and still serve the function of teaching people about the music Georgia has created.
Sure, but how will Atlanta get it? Nashville and Memphis are not interested in helping Atlanta's tourism industry even if the cause is to promote greater awareness of the South's contributions to music.

Like I said, GSU already has and displays the Johnny Mercer collection. Add to it what apparently UGA will just store.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Sure, but how will Atlanta get it? Nashville and Memphis are not interested in helping Atlanta's tourism industry even if the cause is to promote greater awareness of the South's contributions to music.

Like I said, GSU already has and displays the Johnny Mercer collection. Add to it what apparently UGA will just store.
I haven't seen this in several years. Are they still displaying the Mercer collection in a hidden away corner on a low-traffic floor of Library North?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I haven't seen this in several years. Are they still displaying the Mercer collection in a hidden away corner on a low-traffic floor of Library North?
No, on a high traffic floor beside the coffee shop. Probably could be expanded to do Mercer more justice but the library has its space needs too.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Get the memorabilia and exhibits? It would require funding to do so. I'm just saying this would be a better marketing approach for the museum. You could implement it while still focusing overwhelmingly on Georgia's musicians.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Get the memorabilia and exhibits? It would require funding to do so. I'm just saying this would be a better marketing approach for the museum. You could implement it while still focusing overwhelmingly on Georgia's musicians.
Well, funding is limited. Could throw together exhibits with few to none actual memorabilia items.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Well, funding is limited. Could throw together exhibits with few to none actual memorabilia items.
Yeah, I mean, I assume they're going to be talking several million $$$ to do absolutely anything no matter what.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:

Exactly this!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:

Because Atlanta is the de-facto Capital of the American South.

Just like the whole United States contributes to or "helps" museums/exhibits that are displayed in Washington, D.C. and New York City.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Because Atlanta is the de-facto Capital of the American South.
Atlanta is that. But not a capital that can tax beyond its state borders. I can't imagine Atlanta getting federal money to buy up memorabilia from around the South for a Southern Music Museum. Nashville, Memphis, or New Orleans, considering their heritages, should be considered first but even they shouldn't get federal money.

Quote:
Just like the whole United States contributes to or "helps" museums/exhibits that are displayed in Washington, D.C. and New York City.
What federal support for museums does NYC get? DC is probably the sole exception as the National Archives is there. Actually, you can thank Andrew Mellon for the National Gallery of Art and James Smithson for the Smithsonian Institute. Personally, I think they should charge admission.

What's with this gimme gimme attitude toward the federal government for just about anything a city or state wants to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta