Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 04:13 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times

Advertisements

I just want to give a shout out to the local young man from Atlanta who was featured today on an article about summer jobs and teens.

Tales of the Search for a Summer Job - NYTimes.com

Cameron Stephens makes me think that this country is still a place where you can achieve just about anything with the right attitude and determination. What a great inspiration to us all who are finding a lot of challenges in this new economic reality. I'm sure he is not a perfect kid but at this point in his life his values have been set and I'm sure he will go as far his determination takes him.

Just to think of how everyone is "googled" these days when applying for a job as just the most basic of background checks, Cameron, we should all be so lucky to have this story pop up first about us.

Bravo dude! Keep it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Yay, way to go, Cameron!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
LOL, that is certainly one way to get a job. Gotta love kids when they believe in a good thing and most especially when it is a poor kid growing up in an urban neighborhood. The allure of the drug trade is an easy trap to fall in to due to how much money one person can make. Almost all kids that do join the drug trade (after watch kids who grew up with nothing drive by in expensive cars waving wads of cash all for handing a junky a little bag) most often do so because they are too young to comprehend the consequences of their actions. Once they are, they've already been set on a certain path in life that is not so easy to get out of.

It is a triumph when a kid just gets out of being surrounded by that life and decides on college or serving in the military, it is a miracle when a kid likes this just goes out and makes his own way in the world. I have no doubt that at the very least we'll one day read about this kid starting his own farm, and at the most a successful business man. Having the ability and go do something everyday for no pay or appreciation is a skill few have but those that do have one thing in common: Success in life.

Sappiness aside, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought about this immediately after reading it:

YouTube - ‪Kramer gets a job‬‏

Last edited by waronxmas; 06-13-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Sappiness aside, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought about this immediately after reading it:
That's great.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:43 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
I bet he has no idea how valuable this story is for him- not that it is more important than who he is as a very admirable young man- but that it is now so obvious to anyone who wishes to know anything about him when he is applying for college or another job. These days it is so easy to have a bad story, facebook post or youthful indiscretion out there forever on the internet, to have this instead is a gold mine!

This is worth so much more than all the quick cash some of his contemporaries may have picked up having chosen to go down a different, short-lived illegal path. My advice to him if he (or someone that knows him to relay to him) happens to stumble on this forum is to do NOTHING that would be published or posted on the net - (no face book posts, tweets, texts) have this one story as the only thing that ever shows up about him for a while and he will have all the success in life that he deserves- including money but more importantly a honorable and pride-filled life.

You deserve it.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I bet he has no idea how valuable this story is for him- not that it is more important than who he is as a very admirable young man- but that it is now so obvious to anyone who wishes to know anything about him when he is applying for college or another job. These days it is so easy to have a bad story, facebook post or youthful indiscretion out there forever on the internet, to have this instead is a gold mine!

This is worth so much more than all the quick cash some of his contemporaries may have picked up having chosen to go down a different, short-lived illegal path. My advice to him if he (or someone that knows him to relay to him) happens to stumble on this forum is to do NOTHING that would be published or posted on the net - (no face book posts, tweets, texts) have this one story as the only thing that ever shows up about him for a while and he will have all the success in life that he deserves- including money but more importantly a honorable and pride-filled life.
Why don't you contact Judith Winfrey at Love is Love Farm? She is really sweet and I'm sure she can put you in touch with this young fellow.

They're on Facebook or I'm sure you can catch them at a local farmers market.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
That's a good story of inspirational youth in this day of high unemployment. Thanks for the good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta