U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 AM
 
2,251 posts, read 1,909,058 times
Reputation: 1167

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
None of the above is true. It sounds like you harbor the mentality that an attack on one is an attack on all.
In numerous threads you pop up and race bait? Is this false? You said “attack on one” but you have been attacking every black posters you see on this forum.

Quote:
My decision over who I choose to debate is not based on the supposed skin color of a poster. I refuted the claim of Africa's economic superiority (made by black posters and white posters alike), and when it was purposely ignored by certain posters, I called out the reasoning for why it was ignored.
Don’t straw man, your premise is posters have a agenda to keep the city black or worry about the percentage drop of black Americans. The strange thing is basically your mainly arguing with white posters that they have a agenda or worry to keep the city black.


Quote:
Humans fear change. That is natural. Atlanta has changed a lot, and it will continue to change. Many black people are not comfortable with those changes. Shirley Franklin and Chris Rock have both publicly stated their displeasure with the changes Atlanta is undergoing.
And I’m pretty sure the klan was mad blacks gain civil rights, now what do that has to do with most white people? Nothing! So what's the point of someone referencing that? Nothing! Yes there are racist blacks, now what that got to do with most blacks? Nothing! If a black person keep talking about racist whites out of place to non race whites, that black dude is going to look hell of racist. Now if a white person keep talking about racist blacks out of place to non racist blacks, that white dude is going to look hell of racist. YOU ALWAYS COME AND RACE BAIT IT”S (annoying!!!)

Now I don’t care if Atlanta remain majority black or not but if you keep reminding me of the blacks that do, I'm going to take it as your just as racist as them. Go argue with them. I Don’t think you understand your not being call a racist because you have a irrational hate as a klans man does. But because you’re a reverse racist. It’s like you search for black racist then complain about them as if the rest of the world want to hear. I know there racist blacks who worry about the city remaining black, but that like me saying there racist whites who hate the president is black. Duh! There always going to be racist ignore them! And stop falsely accusing non racist blacks as racists that’s also annoying.

Quote:
It's not really about culture. It's more about the symbolic meaning Africa embodies as the "mother country" for black Americans, so to speak. It would be like an Italian-American extolling the supposedly huge benefits of New Jersey strengthening its ties with the economically-weak Italy, even though they know that resources would be better spent focusing on countries with stronger economies, in order to preserve the image of New Jersey as Italian. The fact that Italians may not get along with Italian-Americans from New Jersey, or vice versa, doesn't really matter. Italy is used more as an entity and a symbol in order to re-enforce an existing stereotype of New Jersey as an Italian state.
WTF, Fail! First off Italian is a ethnic group or nationality, black is race. So to make the comparison you would have to say broadly “white” see the error.

Dude black Americans haven’t been to African in over 300 years toooooo many generations. Then non of the African states that are ancestors came from still exist. African is the second largest continent it’s not a small country we don’t even know where are ancestors even from. African Americans have nothing to do with the creation of the political climate in African nation, there’s no ties, Are Ancestors didn’t create Nigeria! Or any other African nation. Then for the last time African Americans are known not to get along with black Africans. There’s too much beef between black Americans and black Africans what do you not understand. Yes culture matter the ideal of the mother country itself is base on heritage and culture. Focusing on African countries isn’t going to preserve anything for Black Americans. Again "Black" is the race of people not a damn ethnic group or nationality. Dude stop.

 
Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 AM
 
538 posts, read 465,136 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Dont feed the troll. He's bored and lonely (no woman wants to spend time with a loser).
Heading to the beach with my lovely wife and daughter today.....meeting three other couples at a beach side house in the panhandle.....how's your weekend shaping up sport? LMAO at the ad hominem attacks by folks who have nothing to add to the conversation and thereby show their complete ignorance. Now, have a nice day.....
 
Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,614 posts, read 3,732,749 times
Reputation: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Heading to the beach with my lovely wife and daughter today.....meeting three other couples at a beach side house in the panhandle.....how's your weekend shaping up sport? LMAO at the ad hominem attacks by folks who have nothing to add to the conversation and thereby show their complete ignorance. Now, have a nice day.....
Hope you (don't) drown in that oily water.
 
Old 06-19-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
8,089 posts, read 7,367,422 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Hope you (don't) drown in that oily water.
lol
 
Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 1,689,134 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No it is not the same and it would be naive for you to think so.

For example, Italian Americans can point to Italy, with it's specific culture and history, and have sympatico with Italians. Invariably an Italian American probably has a relative whom is native and they can also go to Italy and see for themselves the town their family came from. I also find it odd that you think Italian Americans don't extol the benefits of having a economic relationship with Italy. Do not a lot Italian American business buy product directly from Italian distributors? Do they not infuse Italian culture and cuisine into every day American life?

African-Americans descended from slaves on the other hand do not, and cannot, have the same relationship with any African country (Africa does not have singular culture FYI) in the same manner as an Italian, Japanese, or Irish American for the simple fact that no African-American could ever know where their ancestors came from. Period.

When Africans were brought to the this country as slaves their culture, language, and religion was stripped from them completely. Any attempt to practice any aspect of it was often brutally suppressed. Furthermore, it wasn't as if Africans brought here as slaves from one town or village were all placed together on the same plantation. They were bought and sold for their physical attributes and thus almost immediately separated from everything and everyone they knew.

As the generations progressed, most cultural connections to any African culture had completely disappeared and in it's place an entire new culture (African-American culture) replaced it. The amount of time was so great that when slavery was finally abolished, no former slave could say "Welp, I'm headed back to Uganda". They had no idea of where in African where they were from and were concerned with creating a life for themselves in this country than anything else.

Over the years though there have been several attempts at adding an African edge to the African-American consciousness, but for the most part those attempts have failed as people are smart enough to understand that each part of Africa has a specific culture so it is silly to brag about being Nigerian or any other place in Africa.

But is it such a bad thing for African-Americans in the simplest sense to view Africa as "home"? It is a natural human inclination to identify with one's ancestors and learn about them and it is a luxury that African-Americans descended from slaves do not readily have in a specific way like you would. It is a lot like someone who was adopted as a child and has no idea about who their biological family is. Would it be an odd thing for them to seek out their biological family when they are an adult?

Also, why would it be a bad thing for their to be a situation where the descendants of slaves and modern day Africans united for mutual economic and cultural benefit? No matter what you feel (and really, it is irrelevant to anything happening what you feel) it would be an AMAZING event if by creating these deeper economic ties to Africa, African-Americans in total were able to reconnect with a continent they have been separated from (by force) for almost 500 years. It would be even more amazing that Atlanta would be the city in which that took place, but as a casual observer it would be amazing to happen in any other American city too.

To think though that this thread is part of some sort of agenda to prop up black people or is an affront to whites, asians or latinos is just being silly. It is simply a thread about deepening economic ties and hopefully bringing more business (aka money) to Atlanta. Have you forgotten that we are still reeling from the recession and need any help in growing our economy in Atlanta that we can get?
This novel of a post was basically a waste of time, since it doesn't really address my point - the symbolic meaning of "Africa" in black culture. Whether ties can be directly traced to a specific country there is really not important in this context. In this context, Africa stands as a symbol for blackness, and for people like Andrew Young and certain posters in this thread, "Africa" is more of a codeword. In this thread specifically, the main message is that Atlanta needs to strengthen its economic ties with "Africa" (purposely vague, because "Africa" stands as a symbol for blackness much more than say, Nigeria) because it's a "black city" that needs to preserve its fading "blackness." It's for this reason that the OP would never create a thread where "Africa" was replaced with "Egpyt" or "China" or "Germany."
 
Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM
 
461 posts, read 318,950 times
Reputation: 497
You didn't read the post did you? If a group of people have no ties or very little ties to an area, how does that area represent any symbol or one at all? I think the statement was made that American Blacks (those with slave roots) don't associate themselves with Africa. At the end of the day, I think what your trying to say is that Africa is symbolic in white culture as a symbol of blackness. Not even white culture as a whole. In racist white culture it stands as a symbol of "blackness". Get with it dude. Stop being so afraid of others who have nothing against you.
 
Old 06-19-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,720 posts, read 3,504,644 times
Reputation: 1513
Right, When I saw the title of the thread I was thinking about all the potential Oil and all the minerals located in African countries and how China and Europe have been looking to gain from further economic and political stability across the Continent in order to possibly benefit in the future thinking maybe Atlanta could get in on that too. I wasn't thinking Black Power! The Motherland! or any of that. I find it weird that you (BringbkCobain) would automatically jump to that conclusion about the focus there.
 
Old 06-19-2011, 03:22 PM
 
199 posts, read 43,095 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This novel of a post was basically a waste of time, since it doesn't really address my point - the symbolic meaning of "Africa" in black culture. Whether ties can be directly traced to a specific country there is really not important in this context. In this context, Africa stands as a symbol for blackness, and for people like Andrew Young and certain posters in this thread, "Africa" is more of a codeword. In this thread specifically, the main message is that Atlanta needs to strengthen its economic ties with "Africa" (purposely vague, because "Africa" stands as a symbol for blackness much more than say, Nigeria) because it's a "black city" that needs to preserve its fading "blackness." It's for this reason that the OP would never create a thread where "Africa" was replaced with "Egpyt" or "China" or "Germany."
What the hell is "blackness"? What relationship does Africa have to "black culture"? It's a continent. It may be a symbol to you racist who think all people who look different from you share some kind of bond or common monolith becuase they have dark skin but that not the reality.
 
Old 06-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Box
 
381 posts, read 322,141 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This novel of a post was basically a waste of time, since it doesn't really address my point - the symbolic meaning of "Africa" in black culture. Whether ties can be directly traced to a specific country there is really not important in this context. In this context, Africa stands as a symbol for blackness, and for people like Andrew Young and certain posters in this thread, "Africa" is more of a codeword. In this thread specifically, the main message is that Atlanta needs to strengthen its economic ties with "Africa" (purposely vague, because "Africa" stands as a symbol for blackness much more than say, Nigeria) because it's a "black city" that needs to preserve its fading "blackness." It's for this reason that the OP would never create a thread where "Africa" was replaced with "Egpyt" or "China" or "Germany."
And of course there is no economic interest in partnering with nations who have emerging markets and a wealth of resources, correct?
 
Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
 
2,251 posts, read 1,909,058 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This novel of a post was basically a waste of time, since it doesn't really address my point - the symbolic meaning of "Africa" in black culture. Whether ties can be directly traced to a specific country there is really not important in this context. In this context, Africa stands as a symbol for blackness, and for people like Andrew Young and certain posters in this thread, "Africa" is more of a codeword. In this thread specifically, the main message is that Atlanta needs to strengthen its economic ties with "Africa" (purposely vague, because "Africa" stands as a symbol for blackness much more than say, Nigeria) because it's a "black city" that needs to preserve its fading "blackness." It's for this reason that the OP would never create a thread where "Africa" was replaced with "Egpyt" or "China" or "Germany."
I did head on, a few post up.

Listen lets go back to the Italian comparison, Italians are Italians not Germans or French. They're all white but what does that means? Nothing! Africa is a continent, black is a race we are not the same ethnic group or nationality, or ever been. So will the New jersey Italians cling on to Russia for there culture and call “whiteness” it‘s all the same thing right? ) Your literally acting as if “black” is a ethnic group and nationality, and Africa is one country, And thus blacks come from that same country, it‘s all the same thing right? ). This conversation is so weird, OK Africans have the same skin color as US…….. So! You have the same color skin as the Polish?

When black Americans talk about Black culture, it means black American culture domestic. If black Americans speak to any black Africans and say black culture this going to pop up ???????????? Africans don’t learn or care about slavery, the civil rights movement and black American culture. Un like the Italians, the countries “not country, were not people” where came from doesn’t still exist, Italy is still there. Are ancestor came from the Oyo Empire, Kingdom of Dahomey, Ashantie empire and etc. Not Nigeria, Ghana and the modern states of Africa. Are ancestors left way before there existence, there no symbolic sense or claim to them by black Americans. As heritage are ancestors did not build those countries, we have nothing do to with them. The problem is you view blacks a race of people internationally as “one people like ethnic group” then compare a race of people to a specific ethnic group.


Least when your in a debate and you can’t answer the hard question, you failed. When a question is ask that defeat your argument, you avoid them as if they was never ask. To continue your defeated point as if they were never ask.
  • I said In numerous threads you pop up and race bait? Is this false?
  • You said “attack on one” but you have been attacking every black posters you see on this forum. Thus do you believe most black people are racists because your always playing the race card game?
  • The strange thing is basically your mainly arguing with white posters that they have a agenda or worry to keep the city black, So are these white posters too worry about how keep to the city black?
  • Your a race baiter you like to spend time searching for black racists, and if you can’t find them, you play the racist card. So you can race bait about racist blacks to non racist people and get on there nerve.

They are simple closed ended question. Your argument is failed until you answer them.

Again with the sad black vs. white paradox world view. Everything is black and white. "codeword." LOL roger that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top