Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM

42 posts, read 212,435 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the taxes are like there in ATL? In Virginia we pay quite a bit for taxes. I'm trying to find a site that would allow me to see all taxes required and the tax rates in ATL. Also, how do the counties differ when it comes to taxes, especially property (real estate) taxes? Is any county better than the others?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
Can anyone tell me what the taxes are like there in ATL? In Virginia we pay quite a bit for taxes. I'm trying to find a site that would allow me to see all taxes required and the tax rates in ATL. Also, how do the counties differ when it comes to taxes, especially property (real estate) taxes? Is any county better than the others?
Thanks!
It varies. Georgia just like Virginia is a southern state with many "hidden" taxes, unlike areas such as NY and NJ, where they just rob you in the open and don't hide anything

As for the Atlanta area. The city of Atlanta is a small georgraphic so you have to look at the county.
Atlanta being Fulton is the highest taxed county in the state in regard to property taxes, county ad valorem (car tax), and sales tax.
The county bleeds red ink and is suffering from a internal civil war between the north and south. North Fulton is attempting to re-instate Milford county and break off from Fulton. Fulton County / City of Atlanta also is ranked #7 nationwide in crime. In regard to taxes, think City of Richmond on a larger scale.

To the Northeast is Gwinnett. Gwinnett is one of the fastest growing counties in the US. Though ran by stinkin developers it is one of the richest with a budget surplus. Overall you will find property taxes lower than it's neighboring counties of DeKalb, Fulton, and Barrow. Same goes for ad valorem. The current issue with Gwinnett is being ran by what I stated previous, stinkin developers. One of Gwinnett's largest developers just happens to be the head of what else? Gwinnetts development authority! Conflict of interest anyone? The county has eclipsed 800,000 people and is projected to hit 1 million by 2010. Traffic is horrid, and you cannot go anywhere in the county and I do mean anywhere without hitting yet another housing development under construction. Nevermind the fact that you could not sell your current home do to over development because if you have a plot of grass across the street you can count on another approved developer dropping a house in that exact spot. With this said, under the current pace and crime issue encroaching on the south side of the county from DeKalb, it will only be amount of time, unless someone nips it in the bud, before something will have to give. I do see tax increases on the horizon since our friendly developers (I call them seagulls) are allowed to come in tear everything up take their dollars and run to the next opportunity while the local person gets the tab. Current example is the storm water tax that was enacted this year on property and will triple over the next 3 years.

DeKalb County to the east of Atlanta has Emory University, Stone Mountain Park, etc., the only issue is its leadership. The county head, Mr. Jones likes to refer to himself as "The CEO". At first I was impressed with him then he began getting a little goofy. His last hire of a new police chief, the basically fired ex-Dallas chief was about the final straw here. Also, DeKalb is the home to the notorious Cynthia McKinney the racist ex congressperson from Georgia.
The way to place DeKalb is simple, using the Atlanta Business Journal as reference, DeKalb is the only county in the Atlanta metro area that has had double digit results. Double digit job loss, Double digit deficit growth, and double digit crime growth.

Cobb County to the Northwest. Don't know much about Cobb outside the fact that it is listed as the lowest in sales tax, equal to Gwinnett in overall advalorem, and is business friendly. Like Gwinnett it is having some issues in the south side due to proximity to the city limits with crime, but on a much smaller scale than we see in the west side of Gwinnetts Norcross.

Clayton, Atlanta airport, high on the crime index, and I (IMO) would not recommend. Clayton County is Atlanta south.

Hall and Forsyth County to the North. Basically Gainesville and Cumming.
Atlanta's rural counties. Lower in taxes, but lack of roadways for the growth aspect. You are secluded and have to drive everywhere, mostly to Gwinnett for the mall, costco, movies, etc. Gainesville is having some difficulty with illegals, but so is most of metro Atlanta and America for that matter, Cumming is very conservative.

Overall, you can compare Atlanta city and surrounding areas to that of Richmond, even the georgraphy is about the same. Fulton is Richmond, Gwinnett is Henrico, Petersburg is Clayton, and Cobb can be Chesterfield.

VA income tax is 5% GA is 6%
VA car tax is repealed or cut back, GA's is alive and well. Average is 200+ per year to tag your car.
Sales Tax VA is 4.75% GA is 4%
VA each county can piggy back of the sales tax, same in GA. Average is 2-3% additional bringing you overall sales tax to 6-7% on all items except for food where you pay just the county piggyback.

Been reading where Virginia is beginning to suffer from budget woes considering the state was always awash in cash before. Then again, the DC crowd in Fairfax, Stafford, Loudoun, and Fauquier has taken over the statehouse. Seems like everytime governments go left of center the downhill spiral of properity is not far behind, unless your the ruling elite of course.

Hope this helps. As an FYI I lived in the Richmond area at one time.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:47 AM

201 posts, read 1,012,537 times
Wow! that was a really informative post.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcbunny View Post
Wow! that was a really informative post.
Thanks, I try my best.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 AM

42 posts, read 212,435 times
Georgia,
Thank you so much for the information!!! It is very helpful!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 AM

13 posts, read 60,265 times
what about the Fayetteville area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta