U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 198,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Oh! The Land of Bruce. Yeah. Asbury has had it's issues.
Since your from N.Jersey get a map and I will do my best to give a comparable.
I will name Georgia County areas and compare to an area in N Jersey.

Keep in mind, I consider GA the NY and North Jersey of the South.

Clayton County, depending on the area will compare to East Orange and Orange itself. (West and South Orange Exclude) Overall Clayton and many parts of will make your description of Asbury look like Beverly Hills.

Fayette County / Peachtree City and Fayetteville can remind you of parts of Essex with some Morris. Little more on the rolling hills, families, and yes it costs more, but compared to N. Jersey it is not expensive. Peachtree City is also known as Deltaville, considering the majority of Delta's pilots live there. If your working south of the airport Fayette would be a good choice.

Newnan or Coweta County, Well your heading West in GA so head West in Jersey. Think Warren and Sussex, but a little larger. Your could probably compare Newnan to Rockaway.

Atlanta/City of, think Newark and Jersey City. You either have money in the North Buckhead or you don't. I usually call the City of Atlanta the Detroit of the South.

Northeast and Northwest. Duluth and Marietta remind me of the Caldwells. Crowded, they have everything there, can be hot and cold. so much diversity you think your in the United Nations, and Pleasant Hill Road in Duluth reminds me of driving Rt 46. Heck on a good day you might even get a finger of friendship included in the 50,000 horn blows.

I could go on and on, but thought I would give you a high level comparison.
If you have any other questions let me know.

Good Luck Jersey. Hey if you move here bring some Bagels will ya.
Some good Pasta would bode well too

When it comes to food, there is NO PLACE like New Jersey. I was transferred out of Jersey in 2002 to Chicago then here in 2004. Have not had good pizza since I went back last Christmas to visit my in laws in Hillsborough
Wow, Thank you so much for the comparison of the two States, you really helped us to understand the area of Georgia a whole lot better. My family and I are still researching to find the best location for our family. We are not that concerned about finding work, since we work in the health field (I am a nurse). Our concern is just to find a good neighborhood in which to raise our kids in and of course the school system is of great importance to us also.

I did feel a little guilty when reading your post, since our local pizza place just delivered two large hot pies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 04:27 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,196,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmomofthree View Post
Wow, Thank you so much for the comparison of the two States, you really helped us to understand the area of Georgia a whole lot better. My family and I are still researching to find the best location for our family. We are not that concerned about finding work, since we work in the health field (I am a nurse). Our concern is just to find a good neighborhood in which to raise our kids in and of course the school system is of great importance to us also.

I did feel a little guilty when reading your post, since our local pizza place just delivered two large hot pies
Health Care as an RN. Gwinnett is nice plus they have the Gwinnett Health Network. The Gwinnett Hospital ranked as one of the highest in the nation. There is also Emory.

I looked all over when moving here and settled in NE Gwinnett County. Have everything at my fingertips plus a little peace and quiet. The school systems here are also listed as some of the best in the state. GA has a very high drop out rate, close to 50%. This year many schools got a bad rap due to the SAT scores, but if you compare the national average of the percentage of kids taking the test GA has one of the highest with a 74% of total school students testing. To me this strays the scores because the question comes to play, how many kids are taking the test to place in college and how many are just going through the motions.

You can compare it to NJ with the highest graduation rate in the nation, but the largest percentage of graduates (according to the DOE) that cannot read above the 8th grade level.

As with any government school the parent will have to take school tours to reach a decision. From word around these parts the top listed schools are:

Duluth
Chattahoochee
Dacula
Mill Creek
and there is another that I cannot remember right now. I'm sure others will chime in.

Back to areas. As far as my opinion I would not live in the following:
Clayton County
DeKalb County
City of Detroit, woops there I go again, Atlanta
and Fulton County due to tax rates.

Counties I like
Gwinnett (Norcross excluded)
Cobb
Forsyth
Fayette
Coweta
Jackson

Good Luck

Old 09-04-2006, 01:04 PM

126 posts, read 285,804 times
Riverdale is pretty bad, say no to Rockdale County and Jasper county too. Not as bad as Fulton and Dekalb, but bad nonetheless.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeans4 View Post
Riverdale is pretty bad, say no to Rockdale County and Jasper county too. Not as bad as Fulton and Dekalb, but bad nonetheless.
Keep in mind there are two Jaspers.
Jasper County, which has Monticello as the county seat in the Southpark of Atlanta. Then there is Jasper, the town in Pickens County which is nice.... Up in the Northpark of Atlanta

Old 09-04-2006, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 198,134 times
Thanks to all for the insight on the Counties surrounding Atlanta. I have begun researching other counties besides Clayton County and because of all of you that have posted it makes it much easier for me to now leave out the Counties that may not be what my family and I are looking for in regards to high crime rate and poor school system.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:19 PM

942 posts, read 2,689,702 times
Riverdale and Clayton county used to be very nice places, but that changed I believed after the 1990's. I have considered settling in the Rex community in Clayton, but I decided to stick with the Atlanta/Marietta/NW suburbs area.

If you are still interested living in that area, consider Fayette, Henry or surrounding counties where most longtime Clayton residents/natives moved to.

Georgia, come on, Atlanta is nowhere like Detroit, now.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Georgia, come on, Atlanta is nowhere like Detroit, now.
Your right, Detriot is getting slightly cooler now with the lake effect moisture.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:23 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,732,609 times
I'm not so sure what everybody has against DeKalb County. Most of DeKalb County is very nice. Areas like Decatur, Druid Hills, Brookhaven and Dunwoody are some of the nicest areas in the Metro area. Sure these areas are a little more expensive, but if you can afford it they are worth it. Reasonable commute times, the ability to eat at a non-chain restaurant and the character that are inherent in established neighborhoods make many areas in DeKalb County VERY desirable. Tucker also provides a low cost alternative to the suburbs for those who don’t like to spend a couple of hours in traffic everyday. There are plenty of areas which offer good schools and low crime rates. Sure it is more expensive but what is the point in saving money when you are going to be spending all your free time sitting in traffic to get back to the boring suburbs? The reason that these areas are so expensive anyway is because they are so desirable. People want to live there.

I would stay away from southern DeKalb though including the Stone Mountain area though.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:41 PM

126 posts, read 285,804 times
"The Boring Suburbs" happen to be great areas to raise children, that's why it's important to the person who started this thread and the family oriented people responding. Sure Atlanta is interesting and there are great places to eat and visit, That is why it is so hugely populated. But the ideal setting to a parent concerned about crime and good schools is different than someone who wants it "trendy". By the way, Tucker is almost as bad as Stone Mountain.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,732,609 times
Butterbeans you are right. The person who started this tread is interested in a good place to raise their kids, that is why they are asking about the Atlanta area. It is misleading to say that all of DeKalb County is bad. Sure the county as a whole has high crime but most of this is concentrated in the southern part or over by Stone Mountain. There are pockets in other areas like along Buford Hwy which experience crime but most of the rest of the county is safe.

You also mentioned parents are interested in areas with good schools. The state recently released the average SAT score for all Georgia high schools. 8 of the top 10 schools were in the Atl metro area, 3 of which were in DeKalb County. That is right, Chamblee HS, Lakeside HS and DeKalb School of the Arts were all among the top ten highest scoring schools in the entire state. If bad school produce high SAT scores I would rather my kids go to a bad school. These schools were mixed in with schools like North Springs and Walton, a couple of schools which most would agree are among the best schools in the state. Something else I found interesting was Grady High School in horrible, crime ridden, sinful midtown had an above average SAT score, higher then a lot of suburban schools. Sure SAT scores are controversial, but they do show that many kids are succeeding at DeKalb County schools. FYI of the other 5 schools in the top 10 in metro Atl 4 where in Fulton and one (Walton) was in Cobb. Only one school was in the various counties recommended by this thread. No schools were in Gwinnett, Forsyth, Fayette, Coweta or Jackson. So what do you want for your kids, the best schools, or solid schools, but not the best.

Another element most parents are interested in is keeping their kids out of trouble. Sure there are plenty of opportunities for trouble in the city but more and more studies are coming out showing the increasing rate of drug and alcohol use among suburban and rural kids. Watch the news and see where all the drug busts are taking place. They are in the suburbs, not in the city. That is because dealers are moving out there to be closer to their market. Inner city kids have a surprising low rate of alcohol and drug use when compared to suburban and rural kids.

The suburbs aren’t all bad, the places mentioned by other posters are good places to raise your kids, I’m just saying don’t rule out DeKalb County or City of Atlanta just because it is the big bad scary city and your parents told you bad people live there. Do a little research and go visit the place first.

Last edited by xxman777; 09-05-2006 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or