U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:39 AM

416 posts, read 925,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeans4 View Post
"The Boring Suburbs" happen to be great areas to raise children, that's why it's important to the person who started this thread and the family oriented people responding. Sure Atlanta is interesting and there are great places to eat and visit, That is why it is so hugely populated. But the ideal setting to a parent concerned about crime and good schools is different than someone who wants it "trendy". By the way, Tucker is almost as bad as Stone Mountain.
WHat is wrong with Stone Mountain ?????
or Tucker for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 17,003 times
None of Clayton County includes Fayetteville, Ga. That would be Fayette County, obviously. The city of Riverdale doesn't stretch into FayCo, either.
Riverdale is one of the worst places to live in GA. I live in Fayetteville and go out of my way to avoid it all the time, most people do. I'd wear a bullet proof vest if I had to go through it. Also, College Park is the same way. I'd move to the south side of Fayetteville, Peachtree city or Newnan. More expensive, but you don't have to worry about your kids going outside...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 17,003 times
^ Also, Fayette has some of the best schools in Georgia. Look up McIntosh HS, Whitewater, HS Sandy Creek HS, and Starr's Mill HS and their respective feeder schools.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 AM

635 posts, read 1,251,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeorgiakid View Post
^ Also, Fayette has some of the best schools in Georgia. Look up McIntosh HS, Whitewater, HS Sandy Creek HS, and Starr's Mill HS and their respective feeder schools.
true statement that would in fact be the best move

Old 05-21-2011, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,051 times
No, don't even think about it. Clayton county is awful! Its being overrun by welfare recepient to lazy to get a job. On top that, having more kids then they can afford. I'm not against having multiple kids but if you can afford the first one nor spend the time with the child, why have more. If you want you kids to have a lesser education and walk around school with their pants down to their knees, Clayton County is for you. I personally think that you would feel better if you stay away! If you have to invest in a home alarm when puschase a home, bottom line is that its not good. And trust me, you better get a home alarm system or kiss your things good bye. Stay AWAY!

Old 05-22-2011, 01:37 AM

535 posts, read 698,782 times
The same song and dance every single time. smh..Firstly, to the two who decided to reignite this ridiculous debate, OP posted this in 2006... 5 years too late. Secondly, if you haven't lived in Clayton. Please don't post on a forum warning people not to move there. This specifically goes to Thegeorgiakid...

"I'd wear a bullet proof vest if I had to go through it."

This is an offensive and ignorant comment to any resident in the area. Riverdale is not the worst city to live in compared to many cities in metro Atlanta and in Georgia If you are going to bring up a 5 year old thread, state something of substance. Otherwise, provide statistics on your claims other then what you think.

If anything, according to the "hallowed" ajc, which seemingly inundates the metro area with the horrors Clayton County, The crime rate map for 2009 doesn't even list Riverdale!

Metro Atlanta crime rates map | Map | ajc.com

And there is only one entire municipality that is fully located in Clayton. Forest Park. College Park is on the list, however, the majority of College Park's geographic location and population is in Fulton County! (Fairburn is also in Fulton County.. Idk why they placed it right next Stockbridge??)

File:Fulton County Georgia Incorporated and Unincorporated areas College Park Highlighted.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At Ypmp..

Its being overrun by welfare recepient to lazy to get a job. On top that, having more kids then they can afford.

Where are the statistics and facts behind this claim? Please explain to me how you concluded that welfare recipients, which is a large group of individuals, are too (too btw) to obtain employment? Plus can you also bring up the facts about Clayton's welfare population and compare it to say...Gwinett county's or Fulton county's? I would love to learn from where you drew your sources?

My point is, forums essentially act as the classrooms of the internet. They allow for all sorts of discussions and debates. Through this discourse, when taken seriously, we gain new knowledge everyday! That being the case, as adults who wish to better themselves about the geographic locations that surround our city of Atlanta, it is best to provide credible information to help our posters better make their decisions as opposed to relying on defamatory comments to express your distaste of a particular area.

Now if you two are simply teenagers rehashing the bitter words of your parents, then I challenge you to find out for yourself the meaning behind what you are saying.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 AM

449 posts, read 968,179 times
I know Clayton County has a gang issue, but those are kiddy gangs and usually do not escalate to gang violence with rates comporable to .....lets say LA County.

I used to reside in Fairburn, which is only a 5 minute drive to Riverdale and Clayton County and never felt unsafe.

I know there are certain neighborhoods in Clayton to watch out for and the school system had poor marks, but the comments about Clayton are greatly exaggerated.

There are towns/areas in Clayton, such as Jonesboro, Point South, Morrow, etc, that aren't dangerous at all IMO

Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM

2,144 posts, read 3,443,187 times
LMAO @ Riverdale being one of the most dangerous places in Georgia. I swear some of these people are afraid of their own shadows.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 PM

876 posts, read 1,906,931 times
Some people here exaggerate and I do not think they are all minors or very young at the very least. Ignore the noise and focus on the well informed opinions. Even not knowing the area well most casual readers can pick apart "troll" postings from the well-intentioned.

User, ATL_II_DMV, is correct. I don't feel unsafe for the most part in Clayton county most any time, except at late night in some spot areas. I can say the same about some other areas of metro Atlanta. None of that personal uncertainty is limited to Clayton county.

And I want to mention that C-D poster, Listennow32, has some good information too, well informed posts.

One last thing: go visit the area if you do not know it. It is worth at least visiting to make a well informed opinion. Places of interest include Clayton State University, the National Archives and Southlake Mall, all in Morrow, I believe, right off I-75.

Morrow even has a Tourist center right at I-75. Start there if you are new to Clayton. There are a few other things to see right around there (not all shopping), but cannot think of them right now.

All my opinion, of course, Overall, I like Morrow better than Riverdale, but Riverdale has some decent shopping, just cannot think of places to go other than some parks here and there.

Last edited by SW30303; 05-23-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,580 times
I have been in Tn all my life, and I am thinking about relocating to Ga, and I need a good area of town, middle school, and high school without a lot of problems and gang activity...What do u suggest for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or